PDA

View Full Version : First Steps

dollypanic
25-09-08, 18:22
Hello Everyone

This is the first time I have admitted to anyone other than myself than I have some sort of anxiety problem. I haven't been to the doctors as I am either too scared that something really is wrong with me or my syptoms dissappear by the time I have plcuked up the courage to book an appointment. My first proper panic attack occured when I was about 13! Im now 26 but dispite my surviving all the terrible diseases I convince myself I have every day-I am still adament that there is something wrong! The only person I regularly consult about my syptoms with light hearted jest is my husband but I think that he is getting fed up with the constant need to reassure me that I am not having a heart attack- which is my greatest fear at the moment.

My symptoms vary but usually they consist of a skipped heart beat or racing pulse, hot flush and feeling sick, shaking, sweating, chest pain and a lump in my throat- does anyone else have these almost daily?!?! its driving me mad. For the past year since my symptoms got worse I have been checking my pulse every day numerously - is anyone else this obsessed with symtoms?

Thanks for reading my essay!!!!

xdolly

Veronica H
25-09-08, 19:09
Hi Dolly
Welcome to NMP. Many of the symptoms you describe sound like typical anxiety/panic symptoms. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'Self help for your nerves' published by Thorsons ISBN 978-0-7225-3155-6. This is avalable from the NMP Shop. I cannot recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and how we can recover. Her recordings can be downloaded to your MP3 from NMP too. Glad that you have found us. You will find comfort and support here Dolly.
Veronica

milly jones
25-09-08, 19:44
welcome to no more panic

its a wonderful place to share our anxiety

love milly xx :hugs:

pooh
25-09-08, 20:15
Hi there and welcome aong to NMP

Pooh x

kellie
26-09-08, 09:42
Hiya, :welcome: to NMP its lovely to have you here.
You will get lots of support/advice/reasurance and make some great friends along the way. the symptoms you are discribing are amongst the most commen ones to get with panic/anx, and yes you can get them on a daily basis for months at a time.
Plz try to go and talk to your doc hun and see how they can help
I promise you he/she will not think you are nuts or have some kind of serious illness. Anx/panic is so commen that half of there paitents are probly suffering as well
Keep posting with your fears and questions and we will help you as much as we can.

lorac
26-09-08, 11:24
Hi

Welcome to the site I am sure you will get lots of good advice and support on here.

Take care

Carol

Dazza
26-09-08, 13:04
Hi Dolly,

Welcome to the NMP family! Lots of info, advice and support here.

Yes, I have had this problem for the past 4 months. I've been in and out of A&E with it. I've been having hearts tests and they tell me that everything looks normal. but I TOTALLY sympathise with what you are fearing.

I think that you might benefit from going to see your GP. he might be able help you put your fears to rest, maybe by arranging some simple tests for you.

When I first went to see the cardiologist, when he asked me how often I felt these pains etc, I told him 'everyday' and he was really surprised. I get all sorts of symptoms, in various parts of the body, but I think the chest pains / palpitations accompanied by dizziness are by far the most distressing for me personally (thus the various trips to hospital).

Also, I sympathise with you regarding your partner. People who haven't been though anxiety don't understand (not their fault!)... sometimes mine rolls his eyes when I talk about the things that I am worried about. It's frustrating. I love him to bits, but I know that he is quite thick skinned, whereas I am sensitive to things, so he can't get into my head really.

Feel free to drop me a line.

dollypanic
07-11-08, 21:29
Thanks everyone for the messages...sorry for the delayed reply I have taken a few steps back but have FINALLY gone to the Drs tonight as a spur of the moment decision and she told me that the only crazy thing I have done is not come and see her years ago!!! I will be at the chemist first thing armed with my prescription and I am hoping that that along with CBT will sort me out as I am exhausted through worrying!!! I will keep you updated xx Thanks again..don't think I would have come this far otherwise

weeble40
08-11-08, 00:25
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

DJ Trace
08-11-08, 01:28
Hi Dolly,

Just wanted to offer you a huge welcome and say way to go you.

Stay Safe and Well.
Love Trace Xx