PDA

View Full Version : Does this method really work

Carol27
25-09-08, 18:56
Hi, i have had some wonderful support here both on the forum and through kind private messages. I've been told a lot about the method by Claire weekes , i have anxiety and panic bu my worst symptoms are bizarre irrational terrifying thoughts which cause me to panic further. i've realised that the more i try to push them away the stronger they get so it has been suggested i let them be there and try not to be afraid of them and evntually they will ease and go. i've been trying it but it is so hard, i get scared because firstly my thoughts can't happen yet seem so real so the content itself makes me feel a freak, secondly i worry that even if anxiety goes they will still keep coming in, i rang a helpline and the woman scard me to death she said she'd never heard of thoughts like mine and to get a hobby, she also said that even if the anxiety goes the thoughts may never as they are imprined on my brain so i have o learn to live with it. Most i read about about anxiety thoughts say they are what if but mine start that way they quickly go to the more positive i am.i know everyone here is sufferin too and i certainly do't mean to belittle your difficult times. Does it mean that whatever the thought is it doesn't matter about the content as we all get the same awful symptoms associated with them. I'm just wondering if practising letting them be here will eventually make them go away. Please can someone help as sadly when i've posted recently i've only had a couple of replies and i really need help, thankyou, love Carol x

Yvonne
25-09-08, 19:16
Blimey Carol that woman shouldn't be on a helpline!

These are intrusive thoughts, very very common when anxiety levels are high. I have had them when coming off a certain med and they did scare me a lot.

Those thoughts will not stay with you forever! Who the hell was that woman!

Try to relax towards the thought - tell it you know it's nonsense - look at as many anxiety symptoms lists on forums as you can to satisfy yourself that these thoughts are common with anx.

Don't let these thoughts scare you too much - when they come just think to yourself "oh something else trying to come and make me panic" - cos that's all it is. It's like the little panic monster willnot be satisfied until he has scared you to death and do not let him do it.

You take care xx