PDA

View Full Version : Vive La France - stats

Meg
01-12-03, 16:06
Nearly one in four French people are on tranquillisers, antidepressants, antipsychotics or other mood-altering prescription drugs, according to an alarming report published yesterday. It revealed that an average of 40% of men and women aged over 70 in France were routinely prescribed at least one of this class of dependence-creating drug, as well as some 4% of all children under nine. "The French now consume between two and four times as many tranquillisers and anti-depressants as the British, Italians and Germans," one medical expert, Martine Perez, said in Le Figaro. "The problem is not new, but this underlines the fact that it is getting worse". 8/11/2003

...and I don't think it's all due to the Cockrels- French Federation Rugby not doing well down under ...

Meg

sarah
01-12-03, 16:49
wow Meg
Im glad i dont live in France, they must be nervous wrecks poor luvs.
Wonder why those figures?. Very stressfull living in france or doctors who are a bit free with the prescriptions?
Sarah
xx

benoo5
01-12-03, 17:00
meg,

ide be interested to see the figures for the united states...bryan.

Laurie28
01-12-03, 17:04
I remember reading an atricle about the amount of Scots who were on anti-dressants etc and the figures were quite high.
So imagine living in France.

love
lucky

Meg
01-12-03, 17:15
Bryan,

I expect the kids stats would be way higher before even touching the adults, all that Ritalin.

Meg

benoo5
01-12-03, 17:31
meg,

i have 5 relatives in the states,and two friends.

6 are receiving therapy,the other is just a wee kiddie.

i have 3 family members in canada..and they are all fine.

interesting stats...bryan.

Laurie28
02-12-03, 09:37
I think medication is prescribed too freely - especially to wee kiddies
Ritalin seems to be the answer for kids for are over excited. I'm not saying there is no need for it(don't know enough about it) but alot of people think it is ok to give their kids pills if they are are wee bit out of the norm - not always the answer.
It would be the last thing I would give any of my kiddies-I would try everything else 1st. (not that they need anything)

Love
lucky

Meg
02-12-03, 10:17
So many ritalin kids are treatable with reducing sugar and improving nutrient content.
A friend of mie worked at a school for 'behavioral kids' and they did a study purely nutriation and exercise based.. 38% improved to the point of being acceptable in normal schools again.

Some of the time - parents and carers perpetuate it by what and how these kids are treated and fed.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lottie32
02-12-03, 11:48
My friends grandson came over from the US last summer, with a suitcase full of Ritalin, and an "attitude behaviour problem".

His gran, who takes no prisoners, and calls a spade a spade, stopped giving him the tablets, banned coke and sweets, and fed him three square meals a day (of the old fashioned meat and two veg variety). She also makes nearly everything from scratch, so no e-numbers or processed food either.

He was not one jot of trouble, and was a really pleasant, likeable lad. We all really missed him when he went back. It just goes to show that diet really is a contributory factor, and in his case the drugs weren't necessary.

Charlie

Laurie28
02-12-03, 11:54
Nice story Charlie
but it is scary how simple it was done.

Normal sensible diet was all it took and the kid was ok!!

Is he still off the ritalin and on a sensible diet? Do you know

love
lucky

Lottie32
02-12-03, 12:13
No

Unfortunately once he returned to America, he started eating like an American. And had to go back on the drugs!

With regard to Megs initial post - I read an article in the New Scientist the other day that said ONE in FOUR people will suffer from an anxiety disorder in their lives. This includes anxiety, panic, OCD and PTSD. This seems to be a worldwide phenomenum, and is not linked to class, country or wealth!

Suddenly, we don't seem so alone. The difference appears to be the treatment available. France obviously has a culture of cure by medication!

Charlie

Laurie28
02-12-03, 12:15
God that is such a shame for the poor kid!!

Anxiety does not seem discrimatory (?) at all does it!!

Lucky