PDA

View Full Version : Signed Off Work

signedoffwork
25-09-08, 19:03
Hey All

I've already posted in the introduce yourself section which kind of gives some background on me.

I've been signed off from work this week which is a first for me. I've never been signed off before.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, despite supplying them with a medical certificate, work kept ringing me with work related stuff. This just stressed me even more. Stress or anxiety??? What's the difference? The doctor said I was suffering from stress and high blood pressure.

I had to go back to the doctor today because I really don't feel any better and he's signed me off for another week.

Now I'm debating about taking this extra time off. I'm not even sure if I need it. I'm beginning to think it's all in my head. Then I start to get stressed about work because then I keep thinking about all the work that will be waiting for me when I get back.

Then I get stressed because I'm convinced work will fire me for being off sice.

Then I get stressed about what my colleagues think of me. They must think I'm faking or something.

It's just a never ending thing!

I'm sitting here saying to myself that I'll "see how I go" and if I feel better over the weekend then I will go back to work on Monday.

But then I think but the doctor is telling me to take time off work. I didn't ask him to sign me off. He just said he felt I wasn't fit to work.

I'm not sure what to do.

signedoffwork
:blush:

keepemlaughing
25-09-08, 19:09
I know how you feel about feeling guilty. Even when I am genuinely sick, I feel guilty for being off. Especially if it is related to my anxiety or depression. I would take your doctor's advice and take the week to get yourself together. Fax the doctor's note over to work so they can see it for themselves and it will be documented in your file.
Hope you feel better soon.
Sheryl

bottleblond
25-09-08, 19:12
Hi there

WELCOME to the site!

Firstly, if the doctor said your blood preasure is high and has signed you off work then i would take his advice and have some rest.

If work keep calling then explain to them that you are off sick and will have to deal with things on their own until you are fit enough to go back. They shouldn't be hastling you when you are off hun.

Good luck and take care
Love Lisa
xxx

signedoffwork
25-09-08, 19:18
Thanks Sheryl and bottleblond!!!!

I'm convinced I had a nervous breakdown! But the logical side of me is telling me it's just my body telling me "right, you can't go on like this... you need a rest and you need to get some help."

signedoffwork
26-09-08, 07:40
I think today is going to be a "good" day. I've just woken up and I'm feeling "normal" whatever that means.

I've decided that I'm going to go for a nice long walk today. I've been in bed for the past four days and I'm convinced that's making me feel worse. My plan is this:

Get up have a shower, maybe even put a bit of make up on just to make myself feel human. Then I'm going to walk to the furtherest Sainsburys, should take about an hour. I can always take a bus back if I can't manage to walk home!

I'm not going to worry about work. I'm going to keep saying to myself, "The doctor has said I'm not fit to work. LISTEN to him. LISTEN to your body."

I'm also going to pick up a few classical CDs to listen to to help me relax.

Thanks everyone for your continued support.

jo61
26-09-08, 08:25
Hi there. Do take the time off. If you've been signed off as being unfit for work you can't go to work anyway. Also, if you're unfit, they can not contact you on work related things. You have rights, make sure your employer adheres to them. You don't need the extra stress.

A few years ago when I was signed off, I went in to visit after a few months. One cow from my work place (who had bullied me and was part of my problem) told my line manager who called me to tell me I couldn't visit (she was pretty hopeless too!) . I checked with HR (having worked in HR myself for many years) and the law is that I could visit but NOT work while I was signed off.

Take the time to rest and recover. Come on here whenever you need a chat
:hugs:

littlemoomin
26-09-08, 10:01
Can I just add, that I think that your employers are breaking some sort of HR law ??? not entirely sure to this but I know when i was off sick my horrid boss kept texting me. If you have a sick not, they SHOULD NOT be ringing you about work related stuff. I would contact citizens advice on this xxxx

signedoffwork
26-09-08, 14:54
I've had a good day today.

Firstly, I've given up worrying about taking next week off. If the doctor is telling me I'm not fit to work and my body is telling me to STOP, then I really do need to listen. Besides, there isn't much work can do about it especially as I have a doctor's note covering my abscense.

Right, I didn't make it as far as putting on make up and walking as far as the furtherest Sainsburys. However, I did walk to a local gardens, about twenty minute walk away, and sat there for a few hours. I picked up a good book called "How To Lift Depression" by Joe Griffin and Ivan Tryell. While I've not been diagnosed with depression (I'm still waiting to see a counseller) I have a feeling I am depressed as I seem to "check" all the boxes, so to speak.

I also had an epiphany. Well, I had two.

For years I kept denying that I am a "people pleaser". I never thought of myself as trying to please people, but actually I do. I have this reputation, if you will, as being a very strong person and always there offering to help others. But I'm not a strong person, I'm just like everyone else, but I constantly have to live up to being a strong person and even when I have my own issues I always help others so this is "people pleasing".

The other epiphany I had is this. I think I'm having a hard time accepting that there is something "wrong" with me because I can't see it. If I had a cold or had broken a limb then I would be able to "see" the problem but because I can't "see" the problem I'm finding it hard to accept there is one. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again for all of your support.

Signedoffwork xoxoxo

keepemlaughing
26-09-08, 15:48
Well I am glad to hear that you got out for a few hours. Listen to the folks here that are telling you to relax and get your body together before going back to the regular 9-5. You sound like a wonderful person. Please keep coming here. There is a lot of wonderful advice and encouragement from people who know what you are going through.
Take care.
Sheryl

samc100
26-09-08, 16:17
Hi there Signedoffwork - you remind me of me!

I got signed off work for 6 weeks. I was devastated. I thought I was a failure, weak, everyone at work would hate me etc...

But when I actually 'stopped' (stopped caring about what they thought, stopped thinking I was weak, stopped trying to continue and be in denial) then that was when I started to get better.

So take as long as you need. The world continues on but you have to take a step of the ride and go at your own pace. Then there will come a point when you'll know you'll be ok to rejoin.

Hugs xxx

kendo59
26-09-08, 17:02
I'll just repeat some good advice already given...

Do take the time off. If you've been signed off as being unfit for work you can't go to work anyway. Also, if you're unfit, they can not contact you on work related things. You have rights, make sure your employer adheres to them.

If you have a sick not, they SHOULD NOT be ringing you about work related stuff.

If your work calls you again, tell them politely but firmly to NOT call you whilst you are signed off, and tell them to check with the HR dept if there is any confusion over that.

Have you thought of taking a few days holiday whilst you are signed off? Presumably you are on full pay, so why not take advantage and book a week away somewhere nice & relaxing to recuperate?