PDA

View Full Version : Driving on my own.

Davvid
25-09-08, 21:43
I've told my friend I'll go down to her house tomorrow night. It's about 12 miles. I feel anxious about driving on my own in the car. The journey seems overwhelming and it's as if something is squashing my mind. I feel as if there's a blanket over my head and I'm going to suffocate.
Sorry it's silly. I don't want to give in to it but it's frightening me.
I feel as if I will not cope with it.

kenboon
26-09-08, 07:47
Hiya
I was exactly the same as you about driving a few weeks back. And when i was driving i felt so spaced out and always cold your definatly not being silly. Just try a short journey first like round the block. You might feel a bit odd driving and have some of the anxiety symptoms. But this will give you some confidence which is what your lacking. Its all about little steps just to rebuild your confidence in the area your concerned with. Dont get frustrated either with the fact that you used to be able to drive without any problems or any other tasks in your life, you've got to rebuild your confidence slowly and when you have done something you should be pleased and give yourself credit. You will get there :) its not easy but it is very doable.

I dont know if you understand the symptoms of anxiety fully? But this may help you out http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms This also helped me alot to understand whats going on with my body.

Good luck you will be fine :)

Ken

kenboon
26-09-08, 07:53
Just to add davvid. You could try abit of light exercise a couple of hours before you do anything your worried about and then have a shower to relax. This will help burn some of the addrenalin off which helps fuel the anxiety.

All the best

Ken

Davvid
26-09-08, 07:57
Hi Ken, Thenks for your reply.
I've had this for a long time but I'll read the page you advise. It's good to be reminded of the symptoms although I should be used to them.
You're right when you say I lack confidence. It's funny with anxiety how I know the answers but need to be constantly reminded .
I apreciate your reply very much, thanks.
All the best, Dave

Two replies - thanks Ken.

kenboon
26-09-08, 08:07
By activly avoiding the situation, your just adding to the anxiety levels. You need to fight it and give yourself some credit on any little step you have made. I'm sure this site will help you no end. :)

All the best

Ken

Davvid
26-09-08, 08:22
I was thinking of not going tonight but that would make it worse wouldn't it. It would be like giving in to it. I've done it before but it's the thought of those horrible panick attacks is putting me off.
I'll have to try I think.
Thanks Ken.

nic x
26-09-08, 09:18
hi. please dont give in, thats what i did a few mnths ago, i would get all the anxeity symps just the thought of driving, ( even though id drove 8 yrs and been fine) so i put if off, made excuses for someone else to drive and stopped driving all together!! BIG MISTAKE!!!! i have to drive to take kids to school etc.. so i joined this site and all the lovely people advised me what to do, how to deal with it so on, im getting there now, i do drive alone a bit, with the kids a bit, by god it was hard starting up again, but as the more u do it the easiar it becomes, yest i managed to get in the car, do the school run and hadnt even thought about it till the way home, and guess what had a panic attack!! but kept telling myself, it will pass, iv had this feeling many many times before and i kept driving and it did pass and i made it, and i was so proud!! this morning im nervous again, but im going to do ia again, the point im trying to make is, you can do it if you really push for it!! although the feelings are awful, scary and absoultly terrifying at times, the cant harm u!! if u give in and dont go to your friends house, your feeding the fear, so next time it'll be harder, but if you do, your facing the fear so little by little over time it subsides. best of luck with your journey xx

Davvid
26-09-08, 09:30
Hi Nic, I'm glad you're having some success overcoming it.
Thanks for your encouragement.
Dave,

kenboon
26-09-08, 13:50
Dont give in davvid, trust me if i can do it any one can. And your right by saying i'm not doing it or avoiding doing it, your just going to drag it out and make it worse the next time you need to go out in your car.
Try some exercise a couple of hours before hand to burn of the addrenalin. Just a light work out or a brisk walk. This will lesson the intensity of any anxiety and you should be able to face it better. A small meal too would help also. I wouldnt even go out the front door when i first started with this anxiety bit in fear of collapsing ect. After a few weeks i was so low i decided to accept i had anxiety and panic and not something else and face it head on as it couldnt get any worse. I know whole heartedly just how hard it is to try and face it and do what used to be such easy tasks. And i have also now come to realise that you have to face your fears to help you get better. And i can honestly tell you it does fade slowly. But it really is all down to getting your confidence back again and by avoiding it your going to knock your confidence more.

All the best

Ken

Veronica H
26-09-08, 14:54
Hi Davvid
Contemplation is the worst. With this illness we can see the worst happening in vivid detail, where in reality you will be concentrating on your driving, as you have done before and you will get there.

Best wishes
Veronica

Davvid
26-09-08, 15:27
Thanks Ken and Thanks Veronice. I'm glad of your support and advice. It gives me confidence.
I hope you don't mind I'm going to write about how it went after I get back. Knowing I'm going to do this is a big help. It makes me think ahead instead of worrying about the panic.
It helps to share it .
All the best, Dave.

keepemlaughing
26-09-08, 16:40
Go for it, you will feel better in the long run and proud that you made the trip.

kenboon
26-09-08, 22:43
How did it go?

Ken

Davvid
27-09-08, 12:56
Thanks Sheryl.
Well Ken I went and came back.
I came home just as it was getting dark so it wasn't too bad.
Going down was quite good but coming back I felt rather panicky although I didn't have a panic attack. And I felt as if my whole body was going to burst at times. I've hed that before and it's scary but it's only a feeling. I kept telling myself that.
I put some lively music on the cassette player and sang away with it.
I'm sure that knowing I was going to write about it here helped aswell. It helped me think ahead instead of worrying about my horrible feelings.
Thanks to everyone for your support. I'm going to try again next week.

kenboon
27-09-08, 13:27
Great stuff :) You should be proper chuffed with yourself with that, i certainly would be :) You can look back and say i'v done it and done it well and that should make it easier next time. You faced it head on and challenged it and you did it :) ok with a bit of anxiety, but that will ease in time the more confidence you build.

I think openly discussing where you feel at ease does help alot too.

Again well done :) you've taken a massive step and succeeded

All the best

Ken

eternally optimistic
27-09-08, 13:46
WELL DONE DAVID.

THE WRITING THING IS DEFINITELY GOOD.

KEEP AT IT.

J

Veronica H
27-09-08, 15:00
Hi Davvid:yesyes: Well done. Glad you made it.

Veronica

Davvid
27-09-08, 18:40
Thanks Ken
Thanks Jay ann
Thanks Veronica.
Thanks Sheryl.
Thanks Nic x
You're all going through hard times aswell so I'm very grateful for your support.

ricric
29-09-08, 11:52
I did an Anxiety managemnent course with a Bus driver who was afraid of driving. I know it was really hard on him as he could nt do his job, he always panicked about if he had ran a red light or not...

I know the course helped him get back on his feet. His name was David... not you is it :D

You need to face your fears one step at a time. I know its really hard to face your fears. But if you want to overcome them, you need to face them!!

Good luck :)

Davvid
29-09-08, 21:54
No the bus driver wasn't me ricric.
Thanks for your support .