PDA

View Full Version : Anyhting positive to be said about SERTRALINE

geddy
26-09-08, 13:39
:shrug: Hi , have just got back from doc's and she has prescribed sertraline for my depression/anxiety. Not keen on taking meds ever, but at mo have reached point where enough is enough and i need to get sorted!
However i cant seem to find anything but negative stuff written about this drug!!! SOOOOOOOOOO was hoping maybe someone out there would have something good to say about it, pretty please.:lac:

JasonB
26-09-08, 15:23
The only experience I have with this drug, is that my Aunty took it for a long period of time, while she was going through very difficult depression.

She said that they were fantastic, and helped get her back to feeling her normal self. Eventually she was taken off of them, and was fine for a number of years. She only went back on them when my Nan was diagnosed with Alzheimers. She has to look after my nan, so it obviously quite distressing, but the drugs have helped her cope, and stay on top of life.

Bear in mind people are more likely to write something on the internet after a bad experience with something, than after they have had a positive experience.

Take the medication, and see how you feel. It might just be the thing you need.

If its not, you can always stop taking it.

Good Luck

BellisC
26-09-08, 15:30
Just to add my experience, I have taken sertraline for about 18 years and found it really helps me out of depression. Recently I thought that I might be able to do without it, and slowly tapered off to taking none. After a couple months I started feeling bad again, and getting panic attacks and anxiety too. It seems to help me with these too - I am now back on it and feeling much better. I am not really bothered by side effects, just at the very beginning which I think is to be expected. So just one positive experience of it to add to the mix.

geddy
26-09-08, 15:31
Thank you for your message!

I have taken my first dose, hopefully i will be lucky and not be plagued by side effects!
Take care x

keepemlaughing
26-09-08, 16:25
I have been on it for the past two years. I feel better I guess. Not so many anxiety attacks. I take it with Wellbutrin and Seroquel. I don't know what works and what doesn't, but I have been on the Zoloft the longest. Give it a go.

JasonB
26-09-08, 18:57
Thank you for your message!

I have taken my first dose, hopefully i will be lucky and not be plagued by side effects!
Take care x

Good luck.

Try not to over-analyse little symptoms and twitches within the first few weeks.

There may be one or two odd feelings, but its not always the drugs.

Try and ignore any small things you might think are the drug. The mind can be overly cautious in the first few weeks. Relax and give the drug a chance.

JessicaLynn
14-11-08, 11:08
It took about a week before the side effects went away...but def. hold out! It has been working wonders for me.

kareuk
14-11-08, 17:29
Hi Jessicalynn - you said on your intro post that you find AD's make you worry more? Does that mean you have just recently started Sertraline and finding it great? I have started just under two weeks ago so desperate to hear any good news...anxiety is worse but I am hopeful it will help. I too need positive stories!!! :) Thank you so much.

JessicaLynn
14-11-08, 17:42
Hi Kareuk! I was on lexapro for 1 1/2 years and my worry was much worse with that then the Seratraline. Lexapro was reall hard for me to take.
I found that when i started, the seratraline would make my anxiety worse at times, but that is one of the side effects. Thats gone away now, and I have no problems. My family and friends can tell that I'm a different person. I hope it works for you as well!

kareuk
17-11-08, 17:14
Fantastic, thank you so much JessicaLyn!! I am already starting to feel better, the worry has started to decrease and I feel like I can laugh at my worries!! Love the positive stories - godsend to people like us!
xx

bab
17-11-08, 17:30
sorry to but in on thread - im on ciprale and just not sure about it - does sertraline help with the anxiety?

spotty socks
17-11-08, 19:42
i am on sertraline, i have been on many meds perscribed by gp and psyc, it works for me. It takes up to 4 weeks to get the full effect.
Spotty

Burnsey
10-12-08, 19:44
Hi All

im on sertraline have been for 3 yrs. they defo make me feel better and help the anxiety - i was recently going through a bad patch and the doc upped the dose and im beginning to feel ok again - i dont know what i would of done without them.
does anyone know if can take sertraline in pregnancy? im not pregnant but just thinking ahead

thanks burnsey

Sleepless999
10-12-08, 20:21
I was given low dose Prozac for anxiety and I found the side effects REALLY scary!! I had an Auntie who recommended Lustral so I switched to that - it was MUCH kinder. Obviously it still had initial side effects like hot flushes and the shakes, but after about 14 days I settled down with it and it really helped me a lot - not too bad to come off eventually either!:)

phoennixxs11
09-01-09, 20:41
Hi there, i've been on sertraline for less than 2 weeks and i feel great, must admit the first few days were yak, i had to go to work and function 'normal' which was difficult but hey i managed and now wish i'd been to the docs years ago i feel completely normal no groggy feeling or dazed like i felt years ago on venlafaxine i feel so positive its great. I also read all the side effects on the leaflet which scared me to death, especially as one of them were 'ANOREXIA!!' Yikes!!! but less than a fortnight later im fab! Don't worry and take one day as it comes and don't analyse things too much just remember it isn't long term!!

Phoennixxs x

Mazza12
09-01-09, 23:45
I was changed to Sertraline from Citrlopram. And is working alot better for me!
The side affects at the begining were frightening but my panic attacks our not as bad now.
Burnsey I also wondered about pregnancy taking Sertraline, but I don't think you can like not being able to drink.
The best of luck to everyone on Sertaline I wish you all the luck!!!!!

Angelai
11-01-09, 22:53
I've been on Sertraline for just over a year (this time) and it works for me. Def helps with the anxiety/panic attacks too.

I got pregnant in October and my doctor was happy for me to stay on it (under supervision, obviously). Unfortunately lost the baby and am starting to think I need a higher dose :(

djcat71
20-01-09, 16:16
Hi there,

I've been on Sertraline for about 5 days now - and if anyone can help talk me through the side effects I'd be grateful. I have found that since i started taking it when I wake up I am extremely anxious - is this normal? And the anxiety chest pains I have been having seem to be worse :(

I appreciate any advice and I am extremely grateful for No More Panic - you have been a great help to me.

JessicaLynn
21-01-09, 03:54
Hi djcat71! I've been taking Seratraline for about 2 months now. Don't worry, the side effects will subside. I noticed that in the first 2 weeks of taking it, there were times when I was really anxious, and I could tell when it would start to wear off in between doses since I would feel more on edge, but once my body got used to it, I felt a lot better.

In the beginning I aslo had to make sure that I ate a meal or a snack after taking it because it had a tendency to make me very nauseated.

Those were the only side effects that I hadm and I know that they are different for everyone depending on your body's chemistry. I wish you luck with the medication and hope that it will help!

mandie
22-01-09, 04:24
hi

my anxiety was worse for bout a week when i first started them, i was very tired but then after a few weeks it settled down and i started to feel so much better

mandie x