PDA

View Full Version : Complementary therapies

sarap
01-12-03, 15:11
Hello all,

Has anyone got any experience of complementary/alternative treatments for dealing with anxiety? I know reiki and hypnotherapy are detailed on the site, has anyone tried anything else? I'd really like to know if you have and whether you thought it was helpful....

I've been taking differing medications on-off for the past eight years and I know there's got to be more to life than popping pills.

Sara x

Lottie32
01-12-03, 15:51
Sara

Have you tried CBT?

I know it's not a complimentary medicine, but it really does work.

As regards with alternative treatments, I've had a bit of a dabble with a couple, but none of them worked for me. Basically think it's all down to your personality type. I've always been the sort of person who wants to know how something works. My therapist explained CBT to me, and I understood why this would work. I had great difficulty believing in reflexology and reiki. I just don't understand how pressing your big toe can cure a pain in your elbow.

I think it's like with anything - you have to suck it and see. If it works for you, then go for it. Be careful though that you only try one therapy at a time - or else you'll never know what works, and could end up spending a fortune!!!

Good luck. Let me know if you get any success with anything

Charlie

sarap
01-12-03, 16:10
Cheers Charlie,

Yeah, CBT is my next course of action. How long before you felt any benefit?

benoo5
01-12-03, 17:04
hi sara,

from all ive read and seen about CBT,it does seem to be the way forward,i think it involves a lot of effort on your part...but its like everything in life,the more you put in,the more you will take out.

best wishes..bryan.

sarap
01-12-03, 17:09
I absolutely agree about the effort. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Like they say, no pain, no gain....

Sara

nomorepanic
01-12-03, 21:50
Hi Sara

You could try aromatherapy and/or homeopathy - I tried that once but it was expensive.

I hear that reflexology is very good too and some people even suggested acupunture.

Nicola

Lottie32
02-12-03, 08:53
Reflexology made me feel relaxed, but I don't think it made me feel any "different"

The CBT started working within a month, BUT as the waiting list was quite long, I had bought some text books, and started doing some work towards it before my session.

Physician heal thy self!!! Anyway the books were very good, and helped prepare me for my sessions.

Good luck I hope you appointment doesn't take too long to come through

Charlie

twister
02-12-03, 13:23
which books did you buy Charlie?

Emily

Lottie32
02-12-03, 13:54
Will post later/tomorrow. I'm at work and they are at home!

They were quite good, small books, with lots of exercises in them.

Charlie

Lottie32
03-12-03, 08:43
Hi Emily

I read three books

The first was called COGNITIVE THERAPY by Frank Wills and Diana Sanders ISBN 0-7619-5083-4 (Sage Publications). This is actually a text book for therapists, but it's quite interesting as it explained how the CBT would work.

The second two are on Amazon, and I think are on a special linked deal

OVERCOMING PANIC by Derrick Silove & Vijaya Manicavasagar
ISBN 0-8147-9793-8 (New York University Press)

OVERCOMING ANXIETY by Helen Kennerley
ISBN 1-85487-422-5 (Robinson, London)

The last two are both based on CBT, are easy to read, have lots of examples of other "mad" peoples experiences, and lots of exercises to do. They basically back up the work done at CBT sessions, but it's nice to have a reference, particularly if you have a time to wait before therapy sessions.

Charlie

sarap
03-12-03, 16:23
I wondered if anybody has any experience of yoga and whether it was helpful for the panic?

Sara x

Lottie32
03-12-03, 16:49
Sara

My mum swears by it, but then she is retired and has nothing to do all day but go to the local health club!!!

I tried it for nearly two years, but I'm afraid it didn't do anything for me, apart from give me an ability to touch my toes for the first time in twenty years!!!

The problem I had was that I need to do something physical to stop myself thinking, and yoga wasn't "active" enough for me. When everybody else was doing the relax thing at the end, I was totally useless and lay there making lists of what I needed to do when I got home!

I find swimming, playing rounders (summer only), riding my horses, brisk walking and jogging, all did more for me than yoga.

It's very definitely a personal thing. Do your local WEA do a course. They are usually very cheap, or book a taster at the local leisure centre. Give it a whirl - you won't know until you try it - and some people swear by it!

Happy flexing

Charlie

theresa
03-12-03, 21:37
Reiki helped me to stop my continual thinking but it didn't last beyond the day of the session. I only had around 4-6 sessions 'cos I couldn't afford to carry on. Maybe if you can continue on a regular basis it might help long-term. I also had a couple of 'zero-balancing' sessions - again relaxing at the time but very expensive so I didn't continue. I've been doing yoga for a while but am struggling with it - I did it before I developed an anxiety problem so I don't think it has sufficient 'novelty' for me to forget about my anxiety. I'm thinking of doing T'ai Chi instead which has been recommended as very 'grounding'.

Theresa