PDA

View Full Version : CBT - My Anxiety is Back

trixi
27-09-08, 18:52
Hi,

Did not know what else to do so decided to post a thread and speak to people who are in the same boat as me.

I had a bad spella year past in May, my doctor put me on prozac and I finally manged with my doctors help to get off them in July. Now all the symptoms are coming back. I get limb pain, chest pain and a pain at the front of my mouth. And have now been put back onto my tablets for the time being while they arrange for me to attend some CBT sessions.

Can anyone empathise with my symptoms as again I think I am goin mad and that there is something terribly wrong. Also does anyone else attend CBT? If so do they find it helpful.

Thanks

Trixi
xxx

OldChris
27-09-08, 20:46
Trixi
You are definitely not going mad - what you describe is like me - the chest and limb pain are classic anxiety symptoms and being on Prozac / coming off because you felt better and then slipping back again is quite normal too - what i found was that first time i was scared out of my wits that i was mad - second time i realised the symptoms early and got on the prozac more quickly. In an odd way the second event for me was quite reassuring as i got on top of it quickly - it told me that i might slip from time to time but i know what to do.
I had CBT after the first bout and it helped - it forces you to confront things that might underpin the anxiety and it will give you some coping strategies - the most obvious one being that fear of fear is the most important problem to overcome and distraction is a powerful tool - because if you can put the fear out of your mind for just a few seconds - you feel the anxiety reduce a bit and that tells you - i can control this.

Feel free to contact me anytime and remember the prozac will take a few weeks to start to affect you and don't lose hope while that is happening

Chris
xx

Bill
28-09-08, 02:46
It sounds, as often is the case, that the meds were only treating the symptoms to your anxiety and that the actual causes still exist which is why they've referred you for CBT.

Ask yourself if you know the underlying causes that triggered your bad spell in May and if they still exist in the present. If so, have you told your doctor so the mental health team know what treatment to give you? If not, they will need to ask you questions to form a full picture before they can decide the best type of treatment for you under the umbrella of CBT because there are various types of therapists for different mental health issues.

CBT can be very effective but it needs to be the "right" type of therapist to treat the causes to your particular anxiety. Seeing a counsellor or psychologist can also be beneficial but there is no one treatment that suits all because the causes to our anxiety take many forms.:hugs:

Karen
28-09-08, 03:05
Hi Trixie

I'm sorry to read that you are having a difficult time right now. Unfortunately it is the case that most people seem to be dished out medication, which can help symptoms but doesn't resolve the problems.

Seeing a CBT therapist will help you deal with the problems you face in every day life and how find better ways of coping, It isn't easy but it is worth it. I am having CBT for a number of issues and I do find it useful.

I've written a little bit about what CBT involves and although I have related it to eating disorders (as that's one of my main problems) the structure and principles are the same.

You might like to check out the information (http://www.eatingdisordersupport.co.uk/recovery/introduction-to-cbt.html) on my site here (http://www.eatingdisordersupport.co.uk/recovery/introduction-to-cbt.html) and I hope it helps ease your mind and that the information is helpful for you.

Good luck. I am sure you will be fine.

Karen xx

london
28-09-08, 03:09
your not going mad you have insight so be your fine ,,,,,,,,,wish you better