PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobic

WP
28-09-08, 03:44
Hi, Im from the US and came across this website..Which seems very helpful...I suffer from agoraphobia...I have been in my house for 6 years now, unable to leave my home other than go outside in the yard....I dont have panic attacks daily anymore because i am on medicine, but i still have a huge fear of having them so thats why im scared to leave my house....I hope to meet people who have went through this or are going through this so we can help each other.....Thanks, WP :)

Anxious_gal
28-09-08, 05:39
:welcome: this place is great for comfort and support :)

smurfette
28-09-08, 07:40
:welcome:to the NMP forum

Mandy
xx

jodie
28-09-08, 10:21
hiya

:welcome: to nmp

jodie xx

Dazza
28-09-08, 10:42
Hi WP,

:welcome:

You will find lots of useful info here, as well as heaps of advice and support from fellow sufferers.

Do make full use of the forums by posting anything that you want to know about or are concerned about.

All the best

ronski
28-09-08, 12:00
Hi WP

I can totally sympathise with your condition as I have been through the same problems that you describe. I did through slow and steady facing of my fears conquer the agoraphobic tendencies. I then had a reoccurence recently of panic attacks due to a very unpleasent medical test and my agoraphobia has come back to some extent due to my fears of having further panic attacks in public.I must explain that I dont get full blown attacks anymore but I do get the start of them which I can stop by ignoring them.

So I believe it is the memory of recent events that are the hinderance at the moment to my continuance of beating the anxiety/adrenaline cycle.If you read Dr Claire Weekes books on anxiety she states that you should face and accept your fears, float through them and let time pass. So just accept the way you are and try those first few steps outside knowing that you will be anxious and keep persevering at your own pace untill you can walk along the street, then go to the nearest shop ect. The main thing is that you do not fight the sensations as that adds tension and tension adds adrenaline release. Do you get the picture, this is the only way to conquer the anxiety and agoraphobic tendencies. Medicines do help enormously but unfortunately
we have to do the hard work ourselves which I know can be both physically and emotionally draining if you dont follow the acceptance route. If you wish to PM me please do so as being in the house for six years must be totally demoralising and lonely. Do you have friends and neighbours visit and are your family supportive, I do hope so. If not get a copy of Dr Claire Weekes Essential help for your nerves which spells the anxiety issues out so clearly.

I hope that this is helpfull, all the best and above all dont give up on life, you will win in the end it just takes time.
Ron

Lindalou64
28-09-08, 16:38
Hello Wp And Welcome I Use To Be Housebound And Over Came It As One Day You Will, I Wish Ya Well, Linda

milly jones
28-09-08, 23:10
welcome to our nmp family

love milly xx :blush:

pooh
28-09-08, 23:50
Hi there and welcome to NMP

check out the forums theres loads about agoraphobia

Pooh x

thinker_bell
28-09-08, 23:53
welcome to the family...
thinker, anythin you need were a message away
xx

WP
29-09-08, 03:24
omg you all would not believe what reading your post have done for me....Now i know im not alone in my fight to live again...Im literally crying knowing there are people like you to help me...I would love to talk to you all but im just learning my way around this site and not sure how to pm anyone so if you can tell me i would appreciate it....Thanks WP

ronski
29-09-08, 13:04
Hi WP
You certainly are not alone in your anxiety and agoraphobic tendencies. To PM somebody you just click on the name of the person who has just sent a message on the forum. On the pulldown menu there is a list of options, choose send a private message or send an e-mail if that appears as an option. A sub menu appears and on it choose recipient and write your message and then click send.
Hope that this clear
Ron