PDA

View Full Version : I was banned from the last Anxiety forum, I used :(

ricric
28-09-08, 06:13
Ok, so I went on this other board I wont mention its name.

And I had recieved some great help from this board, but I always felt a little frustarted with the board.

Its hard to explain, The Admin was never around, she left the board to be manned by the mods, who could not do much except basic editing and stuff.

One day after 2 years of No Ads, an AD emerged promoting the linden method, I dont mind Ads, its just that underneath it said, ' we highly recomend the linden method' and by we, it looked like it meant the forum members. I wasnt pleased about this because, 'we' never recommended it.

I started a thread saying how I was upset with the Administrator for her lack of presence, and how she had turned up to just Add an Ad, and not say anything, the thread turned a little sour with some people not bothered about the Ad, and some people thinking we were petty for worrying about it. So the in the end, the Mods deleted the thread saying it was bringing down moral...Fair enough,..

So I had a few heated private messages with a mod and ended up deleting my account..

Then a few weeks down the line, the Administrator finally showed up saying 'important, please read' so I did. she basically said, that she had put the Ad, up to help people.. A few people were very pleased to see her and asked what it was all about..

Long story short, I said I thought there was a lack of management, and thought she was treating us with little respect by changing features of the board, and not telling us..

The board got a little heated again, and then she decided to ban me.. No warning nothing..

I feel a little wronged done by, and abandoned... I only wanted what was best for the members and the board.. And now Im banned..:scared15:

Your are the first people I have told about this...I dont know what to do, I cant go back and defend my actions.. I cant do nothing..

I feel like my hands are tied..:shrug:

Some of you may think I got what I deserved, but I wasnt being malicious. Im not nasty..

steveo
28-09-08, 11:12
Not sure what to say to that as I dont fully understand the inconvience of one advert. Adverts can sometimes help pay for websites that are not receiving donations from users. It is probably wrong that you had your account deleted. We are all very friendly on here and in my years on this forum i have never seen any adverts. The admins are always around to help and be friendly.
Im sure your not a nasty person. Some admins think they are gods because of the 'power' they have. Dont worry about it.
Hope you are well
Steveo

ricric
28-09-08, 13:26
thanks stevio, it wasnt the Ad, I realise that these can pay for server costs and other things, however, it was the principle, how they seemed to use the members to kind of endorse it, that I had a problem with..

Veronica H
28-09-08, 13:31
:welcome: ricric.We are a friendly bunch here, and there are no adverts. I am sure you felt that you were looking out for everyone on your last site, but unfortunately 'no good deed goes unpunished' as they say. Glad you have found us.:)

Veronica

Meltdown
28-09-08, 14:13
I can see how the presence of an advert might seem like an endorsement, (and therefore not necessarily appropriate) but who the "we" in question is, is very much open to interpretation.

I think the vast majority of those seeing the site would assume that the "we" referred to the website owners, not the members

Jaco45er
28-09-08, 14:46
I would be more peeed off at promoting a method that charges you a lot of money for what you can basically get in a Claire Weekes book for a tenner.

Linden? pfffft

Yvonne
28-09-08, 16:23
Ditto to the above message I agree with every single word.

It was principle with you - you didn't really do anything wrong in my opinion. Ads are ok and necessary to keep sites going. Hopwever, the "we" would have sounded like it was promoting the Linden Method and that would have wound me up too.

The Linden Method may be good for some people, another book, may be good for others - to say it's highly recommended is misleading. People like us are very vulnerable and always seeking the magic cure and if a website seems to be promoting a self help programme I'm sure lots of the members would rush out and buy it. L Method happens to be very expensive.

Don't worry yourself about it.

The Fool
28-09-08, 16:51
hey i think your right about it you were just thinking about others,they should of given you a warning as well not just ban you like that.we are all super friendly here so dont worry over that other lot!

ricric
28-09-08, 21:22
Ditto to the above message I agree with every single word.

It was principle with you - you didn't really do anything wrong in my opinion. Ads are ok and necessary to keep sites going. Hopwever, the "we" would have sounded like it was promoting the Linden Method and that would have wound me up too.

The Linden Method may be good for some people, another book, may be good for others - to say it's highly recommended is misleading. People like us are very vulnerable and always seeking the magic cure and if a website seems to be promoting a self help programme I'm sure lots of the members would rush out and buy it. L Method happens to be very expensive.

Don't worry yourself about it.
This was my point, I personally feel the Linden method is very expensive for something which doesnt offer a 'cure' So to say that 'we recommend it', was a bit of a slap in the face.

Also the fact that there was little management presence on there, it did feel more like our board, than anyone in particulars. I respect owners of forums, I have set up a couple, and no how hard it is to get your message out there.. It takes a hell of alot of commitment, and a lot of hard work..

Just to clarify, Im not against Ads, Im just against endorsement. Especially of vulnerable people such as Anxiety sufferers..

Thanks for not judging. It has helped to get a little acceptance:bighug1: