PDA

View Full Version : Headache, could do with some help?

reddevil
28-09-08, 20:42
Hello all,

Starting last Thursday, I have had a continuous headache (front of the head above the eyes).

Like many others on the forum, I’m worried of it being a tumour or hemorrhage.

I’m booked in to see a doctor tomorrow morning but I was wondering if anybody on this forum can help me with some positive thoughts (to why it’s not the above nasties), as I’m alone, restless and nearly tearful.

Thank you,

Red

Trixie
28-09-08, 21:11
Hello all,

Starting last Thursday, I have had a continuous headache (front of the head above the eyes).

Like many others on the forum, I’m worried of it being a tumour or hemorrhage.

I’m booked in to see a doctor tomorrow morning but I was wondering if anybody on this forum can help me with some positive thoughts (to why it’s not the above nasties), as I’m alone, restless and nearly tearful.

Thank you,

Red

Do you need glasses? It could be a sinus problem or a tension headache. I doubt if it is a tumour and it is not a brain haemorrhage.

LeeBee
28-09-08, 21:27
Hi red, sorry you're feeling bad today. Headache alone is rarely a sign of brain tumour or haemorrhage. If you had a headache because of either of those conditions then you would be have other symptoms as well - neurological symptoms that correspond to the area of the brain effected and signs of increased intercranial pressure such as nausea, vomiting and visual disturbances.
Lots of people on NMP have headaches, some almost constantly. In almost all cases this is found to be because of tension, eye strain or sinusitis. I'm sure that one of these will turn out to be the cause of your headaches too. Good luck at the doctor, hope you're feeling better soon :).

reddevil
29-09-08, 07:29
Trouble is, I'm also suffering from nausea, not sure if that's me worring.

andie73
29-09-08, 08:01
Hi reddevil

I get alot of headaches accompanied often by nausea. I often wake up with a headache. I put mine down to tension, because they tend to be worse if I am stressing about something or have pmt.

I swear by syndol tablets, they are available from chemist over the counter. They are for migraines and tension headaches. I only take one cos they make you drowsy, but they def work. I would advise taking your first, if you try them, when you don't need to go anywhere, esp if you drive. That makes them soound scary, but they're not. I'm just a worrier and they make me feel relaxed and sleepy, great when your heads pounding.

I'm sure you have a tension headache, caused by muscle tension and anxiety but if you are concerned you should see your doctor. Like other people have said you would be having some extremely severe symptoms if it was something serious.

Hope this helps.

Trixie
29-09-08, 11:38
Trouble is, I'm also suffering from nausea, not sure if that's me worring.

Perhaps it is migraine.

reddevil
29-09-08, 19:42
Hi all,

I went to see a doctor tonight, one who knows me and my difficulties with anxiety (not my main doctor) and I was confused about the whole situation.

I sat down and told him about my headache and my anxiety over it, worrying about it being a tumour etc.

He started by typing on his computer and told me to higher my medication by 10mg, which will take a few days to work and even though I have been today, come back in a few days if I'm still having problems with my anxiety and not to let anxiety get a hold of me and see him or my usual doctor.

That was it, so I then asked him if it is a tumour etc as he had finished with me and he said he doubts it as I can sleep ok through the nights without waking and it kind of goes when I eat.

He did not check me over at all…..!

Red

anxious
29-09-08, 20:12
Hi REd,

it sounds like tension headache to me. You really would know if it were anything else, honestly. I've sometimes had a headache like that and its just been a cold/virus type thing,
:hugs:

anx xx

Trixie
29-09-08, 21:29
Hi all,

I went to see a doctor tonight, one who knows me and my difficulties with anxiety (not my main doctor) and I was confused about the whole situation.

I sat down and told him about my headache and my anxiety over it, worrying about it being a tumour etc.

He started by typing on his computer and told me to higher my medication by 10mg, which will take a few days to work and even though I have been today, come back in a few days if I'm still having problems with my anxiety and not to let anxiety get a hold of me and see him or my usual doctor.

That was it, so I then asked him if it is a tumour etc as he had finished with me and he said he doubts it as I can sleep ok through the nights without waking and it kind of goes when I eat.

He did not check me over at all…..!

Red

Well obviously he is not concerned. Many people get headache which are not tumours and you shouldn't assume that you have one. My friend suffers from the most dreadful headaches which make her stay in bed these are migraine headaches.

amu
29-09-08, 21:46
As far as I know, headaches caused by brain tumours don't start suddenly out of the blue but develop slowly over a long period of time and get gradually worse, and they never stop not even for a minute. They are worse when you're lying down and especially when you wake up. (At least this is what my neurologist said.)

kendo59
29-09-08, 21:49
Sounds like a migraine or stress/tension headache.

Go lie down in a dark quiet room.

Trixie
29-09-08, 21:51
As far as I know, headaches caused by brain tumours don't start suddenly out of the blue but develop slowly over a long period of time and get gradually worse, and they never stop not even for a minute. They are worse when you're lying down and especially when you wake up. (At least this is what my neurologist said.)

I know my friends grandson had the most awful headaches which made him vomit they were so bad. They admitted him and found a brain tumour. My brain tumour was found whilst having a MRI for tinnitus so touch wood so far I haven't had any symptoms.

reddevil
30-09-08, 09:13
Hi,

My dad tried helping me last night and told me, if I had a tumour I would be seriously poorly, and would not be going into work or even feel like eating.

Also, it goes when I eat, which is weird.

Would this be true?

Red

reddevil
30-09-08, 09:25
I’m also worrying that my amatriptiline could be masking the pain a tumour could cause?

fairyloveheart
30-09-08, 10:41
Hi Red

I have had pretty much daily face pain and headaches in the front of my head, forehead, behind my nose etc since Dec 07. They get me down a lot. The docs have found nothing, I've had a scan and there was nothing untoward, I've been on amitriptyline and it did nothing,

I am sure you will be fine, I am still trying to get to the bottom of my pain :(

reddevil
30-09-08, 13:13
Hi Red

I have had pretty much daily face pain and headaches in the front of my head, forehead, behind my nose etc since Dec 07. They get me down a lot. The docs have found nothing, I've had a scan and there was nothing untoward, I've been on amitriptyline and it did nothing,

I am sure you will be fine, I am still trying to get to the bottom of my pain :(

Hi,

How much mg were you taking?

Red

fairyloveheart
30-09-08, 13:20
10mg first then 20mg.
Stopped now. Am awaiting a prescription for something else beginning with a g, but can't remember what it is called!

reddevil
01-10-08, 10:23
I'm thinking of going back to the doctors tomorrow to talk with my doctor.

If he can convince me that it is nothing serious, then I guess I will have to accept it being anxiety and will try to get on with my life.

My brain must be thinking of a tumour all day, which is making the days so long and hard.

claireypoo
01-10-08, 11:24
Hi there!

I had the same thoughts when I had anxiety. When I had anxiety nausea and headaches were my main symptom. Believing that they are anx related is essential to lose them.

Your headache sounds like a tension headache. This can be caused by a number of factors - stress - jaw probs - especially as it goes when you eat or alternatively it could be blood sugar related. Anx can mess with your blood sugar which can cause headaches. One of my migraine triggers is low blood sugar. Do you eat regularly and do you eat breakfast every day? (that is really important)

The fact your headache goes away when you eat I think rules anything untoward out. Besides which, a hem is very very sudden and the symptoms of brain tumour are not what you describe. Your doctor was not worried because they know that headaches are one of the biggest symptoms of anxiety and worries about tumours etc are so unbelievably common that it's in every anxiety book i've read! But still all of this does not help much when you are obsessing - as I found!

This is what I did to put my mind at rest. First go to an optician - they can tell if you have pressure in your eyes and can see right behind your eyes too. Also it could be you need prescription or prescription changed. Then go to a dentist and see if they can find any evidence of teeth grinding - jaw clenching and teeth grinding can cause quite nasty headaches too.

Headaches are so so common. There are lots of different types - most worse with stress. Most headaches are muscular although that's not how they feel!(tension headaches) How is your posture? Resting chin on hands hunched over a PC is bad for muscles in neck which can cause headaches - also resting the phone on one shoulder is bad. I found scalp excercises helped too - try and wiggle your ears (sounds nuts I know) but I found it really helped with the ice pick type headaches I had. I highly recommend 4Head! It's £6 can be bought at most chemists and it works! Don't know if it's the fierce tingling on your forehead or what but it does help!!!

Finally - did these headaches start before or after you were prescribed amitripltene? Sometimes medication causes headaches initially.

Try this website - it explains all the different types of headaches
http://www.headacheexpert.co.uk/
And this one is good to show you how referred pain from other mucsles can sometimes cause pain in your head.
http://www.round-earth.com/HeadPainIntro.html (http://www.round-earth.com/HeadPainIntro.html)
All the best hope you feel better soon
Claire

reddevil
01-10-08, 11:28
Hi there!

I had the same thoughts when I had anxiety. When I had anxiety nausea and headaches were my main symptom. Believing that they are anx related is essential to lose them.

Your headache sounds like a tension headache. This can be caused by a number of factors - stress - jaw probs - especially as it goes when you eat or alternatively it could be blood sugar related. Anx can mess with your blood sugar which can cause headaches. One of my migraine triggers is low blood sugar. Do you eat regularly and do you eat breakfast every day? (that is really important)

The fact your headache goes away when you eat I think rules anything untoward out. Besides which, a hem is very very sudden and the symptoms of brain tumour are not what you describe. Your doctor was not worried because they know that headaches are one of the biggest symptoms of anxiety and worries about tumours etc are so unbelievably common that it's in every anxiety book i've read! But still all of this does not help much when you are obsessing - as I found!

This is what I did to put my mind at rest. First go to an optician - they can tell if you have pressure in your eyes and can see right behind your eyes too. Also it could be you need prescription or prescription changed. Then go to a dentist and see if they can find any evidence of teeth grinding - jaw clenching and teeth grinding can cause quite nasty headaches too.

Headaches are so so common. There are lots of different types - most worse with stress. Most headaches are muscular although that's not how they feel!(tension headaches) How is your posture? Resting chin on hands hunched over a PC is bad for muscles in neck which can cause headaches - also resting the phone on one shoulder is bad. I found scalp excercises helped too - try and wiggle your ears (sounds nuts I know) but I found it really helped with the ice pick type headaches I had. I highly recommend 4Head! It's £6 can be bought at most chemists and it works! Don't know if it's the fierce tingling on your forehead or what but it does help!!!

Finally - did these headaches start before or after you were prescribed amitripltene? Sometimes medication causes headaches initially.

Try this website - it explains all the different types of headaches
http://www.headacheexpert.co.uk/
And this one is good to show you how referred pain from other mucsles can sometimes cause pain in your head.
http://www.round-earth.com/HeadPainIntro.html (http://www.round-earth.com/HeadPainIntro.html)
All the best hope you feel better soon
Claire

Thankyou for your reply.

My dentist said my jaw clicks and wondered if I had headaches.
If it was my jaw, how would they cure it?

Red

reddevil
01-10-08, 11:32
Thinking about it, if it was my jaw then I'm sure it would hurt when I eat?

claireypoo
01-10-08, 11:40
Hi there!

Well, I had to wear a funky mouth guard! Attractive - NOT! But it did help!

If you have a clicky jaw it sounds like you have TMJ syndrome http://www.edlesboroughdentist.co.uk/dunstable_dentist_treatments/dentist_dunstable_tmj.htm

This is made worse through bruxism (grinding / clenching teeth) through stress. Try putting your tongue between your teeth as an interim measure to stop grinding when you are awake.

Where abouts on your head are your headaches mostly located?

If you haven't been to optician I recommend going - opticians usually have some good advice re headaches especially if it's related to eye strain! When I had anxiety my contact lens prescription changed 3 times!!! (All to do with sensitive eye muscles - anx messes with all your muscles!)

Hope you feel better soon
Claire

claireypoo
01-10-08, 11:45
Well, my jaw didn't hurt at all when I had the headaches - I had referred pain from that in my head and normal activities like eating hurt less - but yawning a lot made my head ache more (excessive yawning a symptom of anx too) - the jaw is just one of the factors that may be contributing to your headaches tho. More likely biggest factors stress, diet and posture. How is your diet? Do you eat regularly?

reddevil
01-10-08, 12:00
Well, my jaw didn't hurt at all - I had referred pain from that in my head and normal activities like eating hurt less - but yawning a lot made my head ache more (excessive yawning a symptom of anx too) - the jaw is just one of the factors that may be contributing to your headaches tho. More likely biggest factors stress, diet and posture. How is your diet? Do you eat regularly?

The dentist told me stress could make my jaw click as I was very, very afraid sitting in that chair of his.

My headaches are in the forehead, above the eyes.

claireypoo
01-10-08, 12:25
It's odd that it goes when you eat - I really think it's jaw or blood sugar and I def think it's worth going to optician re eyestrain.

Also the area you describe is close to where your sinuses are - any chance you have a cold or are coming down with one? Does it feel worse when you bend forward?

Course it could be muscle tension too - I have had some absolute bangers of headaches that were "just" tension headaches. Try a hot shower or 4head or hot wheat bag and see if this helps. Also ibuprofen good too.

Failing that go back to GP. There are lots of things can be done about headaches. Start right now by keeping a headache diary. If you are referred to headache clinic (I was, but only for visual/occular/aura migraines) then they always ask you to do a diary to help find your headache triggers. For migraines mine were stress, low blood sugar, lack of sleep and flashing lights and I had to have all of them together to get a migraine. In the diary put what you have eaten, where you were when you had headache begin, what your mood was like, if you've slept ok etc

Hope you feel better soon.
Claire

reddevil
01-10-08, 19:14
I'm going to try my doctors again in the morning, going to ask out streight if it is tension? If he says yes then I'm not sure what he will give me to get rid of it.

fairyloveheart
02-10-08, 15:40
Any joy?

keepemlaughing
02-10-08, 16:51
Sounds like a sinus headache to me. Hope you feel better soon.
Blessings,
Sheryl

reddevil
02-10-08, 20:22
Hello,

Just got back, in waiting room for over an hour.

I went to see my doctor and I explained everything to him.

First of all, he checked my blood pressure, which was ok, then checked around my kneck. He then looked into my eyes with his light and lense and said everything looks ok, no symtoms of a tumour.

I'm to increase my amitriptyline, which is used for anxiety and headaches.

Red

reddevil
03-10-08, 11:51
I guess I have to accept it's nothing serious and hope over time, the headache goes as I have no other options etc.

Red

claireypoo
03-10-08, 12:13
Hi there
Glad doctor saw you and reassured you! I'd still get some 4Head tho -I swear by it for tension headaches! I love the stuff! It's in my pocket now - i have a cold and i'm putting it on my head every now and again to help me breathe better (it has eucalyptus in it!)
All the best
Claireypoo

CONS
03-10-08, 12:49
For headaches i was told to stray away from Codeine based products as the Codeine after 3 days will CAUSE headaches.

So i take 500mg paracetemol, isn't it called Advil in the States?

CONS

reddevil
03-10-08, 13:09
Hi there
Glad doctor saw you and reassured you! I'd still get some 4Head tho -I swear by it for tension headaches! I love the stuff! It's in my pocket now - i have a cold and i'm putting it on my head every now and again to help me breathe better (it has eucalyptus in it!)
All the best
Claireypoo

Hi,

I think I will get some tomorrow, can I get it from any chemist or superdrug?

Red

sarah84
03-10-08, 13:15
Hi I get headaches a lot (almost constantly) at the moment and am frustrated because its sore but honestly not worried its a tumour because the feeling is really familiar. Since I was little I have been getting headaches in periods I am stressed/axious and when its really bad I feel nauseous and am sick.

So please try not worry - its a horrible cycle the more you worry you have a headache from a brain tumour the worse or prolonged the headache is! So try calm down. Have you tried relaxation or sometimes sitting in a dark room or even having a nap can help.

Chin up! S xxxx :)

claireypoo
03-10-08, 13:18
4Head £6 from all major chemists - lasts for ages! I know Tesco's and Sains have it too! :) Here's their website link http://www.4headaches.co.uk/about.php
Good luck! Hope you feel better soon!
Claire

reddevil
03-10-08, 13:23
4Head £6 from all major chemists - lasts for ages! I know Tesco's and Sains have it too! :) Here's their website link http://www.4headaches.co.uk/about.php
Good luck! Hope you feel better soon!
Claire

Hi,

I will deffinetly try that as normal anadin are not working.

Red

reddevil
08-10-08, 08:18
Hello all,

My headache went for a few days, it felt good.

BUT yesterday teatime, I started to get electric shooting pains, which go to the left temple of the head.

Obviously, this is starting to worry me and I was wondering if this is common?

Red