PDA

View Full Version : Don't like the thoughts

dotty
29-09-08, 09:39
Hi all,

Just looking for some reassurance really. Have been suffering from bouts of anxiety since a miscarriage last year. Think it all boils down to the loss of control thing for me! Anyway, have had counselling and stuff which has really helped but I find I go though 'blips' and I'm having a blip! I'm finding I'm getting really anxious about committing suicide. Let me be clear..I don't want to! I don't want to die! Death is one of my biggest fears and really makes me anxious... that's the irony in all this! I don't want to do it.. but I just think about it a lot in terms of what it actually is and what makes people do it and makes me scared that I'll get to that point. So what I'm actually anxious about is a fear I have of doing it.. if you see what I mean??!

I get anxious that my anxiety will boil up so much that I'll get really fed up and try and do something stupid... like my body will take over and do it without me knowing.. if that makes sense?!! I just find my mind wonders on to thinking about it without it wanting to and I then I get anxious that i've thought about it again and then I get worried tha'ts the start of me going mad and I will do it... that somehow I won't be able to stop myself...

arrraggghh.. does anyone know what I mean?? I'm just so sick of the constant whirring of thought... everytime I actually not thinking about it, I almost make myself think about it! And then it worries me and I get all the anxious feelings and well... it's just a horrid little circle!

anyone know what i mean or have any tips for combatting it?!!

thanks
Dotty

JasonB
29-09-08, 11:11
Hi all,

Just looking for some reassurance really. Have been suffering from bouts of anxiety since a miscarriage last year. Think it all boils down to the loss of control thing for me! Anyway, have had counselling and stuff which has really helped but I find I go though 'blips' and I'm having a blip! I'm finding I'm getting really anxious about committing suicide. Let me be clear..I don't want to! I don't want to die! Death is one of my biggest fears and really makes me anxious... that's the irony in all this! I don't want to do it.. but I just think about it a lot in terms of what it actually is and what makes people do it and makes me scared that I'll get to that point. So what I'm actually anxious about is a fear I have of doing it.. if you see what I mean??!

I get anxious that my anxiety will boil up so much that I'll get really fed up and try and do something stupid... like my body will take over and do it without me knowing.. if that makes sense?!! I just find my mind wonders on to thinking about it without it wanting to and I then I get anxious that i've thought about it again and then I get worried tha'ts the start of me going mad and I will do it... that somehow I won't be able to stop myself...

arrraggghh.. does anyone know what I mean?? I'm just so sick of the constant whirring of thought... everytime I actually not thinking about it, I almost make myself think about it! And then it worries me and I get all the anxious feelings and well... it's just a horrid little circle!

anyone know what i mean or have any tips for combatting it?!!

thanks
Dotty

Hi Dotty,

What you have is a quite common anxiety issue, and it can be beaten.

You need to understand fully about what causes anxiety, and how it effects the body. During an anxiety attack, the body releases cortisone and adrenaline to prepare the body for the "Fight or Flight" response.

When the chemicals are released, the symptoms of anxiety, and feeling fear will begin to effect the body. Now...

You don't actually have anything to "Fight" or anything to run from "Flight." But the symptoms are still there, and you feel fear for something, which for you is that you will hurt or kill yourself.

The good news is that no matter how much your body floods itself with stress hormones, and adrenaline, it cannot physically make you do anything against your will. It just doesnt happen, even though at times it makes you so panicky that you think it could.

So first of all, take reassurance in the fact that it is impossible for anxiety to make you do something like this. Then you just need to learn to calm yourself down in the heat of the moment. The best way to do this is to try not to let yourself react to it with negative thoughts. Try and just let it pass.

Eventually you won't have the fear anymore, and any anxiety regarding the fear will fade.

If you'd like more info, I can recommend signing up to www.anxietycentre.com it is cheap as can be, and has LOTS of great information.

Also, any book by Claire Weekes will help you understand your condition.

Peace and Good Luck,

Jason

dotty
29-09-08, 12:48
Thanks, kind words Jason, thanks.