PDA

View Full Version : Recovery and avoidance

Janey30
29-09-08, 10:59
Hi,
I have suffered with general anxiety and physical symptoms of it for over a year and am now trying very hard to recover from this. I've found Dr Weekes books so helpful and have noticed a tiny bit of improvement over the last couple of weeks.
What I would appreciate advice on though is whether I should totally put my life on hold until I have (hopefully!) recovered or should I just live my life fully now while attempting to recover? As from last August - this August I completely avoided doing anything I didn't have to do and just stayed in my flat as much as I could.

Since September I have moved back to my home town and have gone out with friends lots. I haven't worked for a year (as I was at University) and am not sure if I should work right now while recovering. I also want to pass my driving test but am unsure if this potential stress will hinder my recovery.

HELP! :)

sheena
29-09-08, 14:49
Hi

I think what you are trying to explain is that you are worried that if you put yourself under too much stress and anxiety the physical symptoms you are experiencing will worsen.

Please do not put your life on hold. You need to find your stress level (what brings on your symptoms) and with little steps with what you feel comfortable with move forward. Like driving lessons. Book a lesson and go. Tell the driving instructor about your anxiety and say that you might have to have a break. That way you will not put yourself under too much pressure.

You say that you were at Uni a year ago. Speak to someone at the university and explain what you have been experiencing and maybe try going back on a part time basis. They will also have councillors that you can go and talk to.

You have to find a level that you are comfortable with and move forward. I was a social worker but I know that since my agoraphobia and anxiety I could never put myself under the pressure I was experiencing. I am looking at doing some voluntary work hopefully soon.

Look after yourself.

Sheena

kendo59
29-09-08, 15:17
You don't necessarily have to do either (put your life on hold.... or live life to the full).

It may be more effective in the long run, to strike a balance, and just do a couple of things you are comfortable with (a hobby, or a part-time voluntary job, or a once-a-fortnight night out), to build up your confidence, and then think about doing more stuff later, as & when you feel like it.