PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack seemed to come out of nowhere

Veronica H
29-09-08, 11:33
:sofa: I feel a bit shaken as I have been doing so well thanks to Dr Weekes. I thought about why this has happened and I can see that I have been worrying about this CBT treatment. I am on the list for CBT but when a place became available unexpectedly a few weeks ago I rang to discuss it and came to the conclusion that as I had ordered some CBT books and was doing so well, then I probably could manage on my own. I changed my mind about this and rang back to go on the list the next day having talked to family and another member of the site. I had lost the spare place by this time. I have been working through the CBT books and of course most of it applies to me, and I fully accept that this is an illness of how we think which in turn affects how we feel. I think I started to panic because I am worried that I am going to be a totally different person at the end of all this. I feel that so much of this stuff applies to me that I am a condition not a real person!:weep: I am going to listen to my Dr Weekes tapes and make myself go to town to do the shopping, as I already feel like going back to bed but I know I must not give in to this. Thanks for listening everyone.
Veronica

jodie
30-09-08, 12:07
hiya

i have had the same thoughts about what i was like before all this ant and if i do get better from this i will not know who i am anymore as i have lived with anx a long time now ,so i know were you are coming from there
as for the cbt why not just try it out see how it goes you can always stop if it is not what you want,i have had some cut and it was a help the lady who was running it was the problem as she was always late or not even turning up so i left as that point and have as yet not gone back
let us know how you get on

jodie xx

Hope 2
30-09-08, 12:24
Hi Veronica

I had CBT and it helped me with my OCD. What it didn't do was deal with why I was a nutcase in the first place :) . What I mean is that once I overcame the 'acute' problems, I was left with a total lack of identity, which is what I am working on now. So I understand where you are coming from. Identity is something I have always struggled with, just to add :blush: .

I know it's cliche, but the road to recovery is rocky, ups and downs, highs and lows, good days and bad. The unexpected times like you speak of makes us freak out and think we are back to square one etc, but honest, it's just part of recovery.

Are u back on the list now for cbt ?

Bestest Wishes
Julia xx

Veronica H
30-09-08, 12:47
Thanks Jodi and Julia
Yes I am back on the list now. I feel a bit better today. One step forward and two back with this illness at times, that's why it's called panic dissorder I suppose. yesterday morning I was a wreck, but in town in the afternoon I almost forgot about it at times...weird isn't it. Thanks again for your support.
Veronica

Dazza
30-09-08, 17:22
Keep up the good work Veronica!

As you say it's a case of two steps forward, one back... that's certainly what it's like for me at the moment. When we get a setback, it can be really scary and demoralising.... but do you notice that when they happen now, you get over them more quickly?

Good luck with the CBT...i've got some next week that's combined with hypnotherapy.

Veronica H
30-09-08, 21:29
:) Hi Darren
Yes, I did notice that I got over it much quicker than usual, so that is progress isn't it? Thanks for pointing it out! I notice failure quickly enough so why not success? CBT will no doubt reveal all.

Veronica

marie1974
30-09-08, 21:34
hiya and just want to send u hugs and sometimes as part of getting better we experience low moments where we feel like we going back a few spaces, but dont panic and just carry on and keep fighting hun and u will get there.
xxxxxxxx

Dazza
30-09-08, 21:44
Yes, it's very easy to forget our progress when we do have a setback.

So yes, you see, you have made progress as you got over it more quickly this time. :)

Keep it up!