PDA

View Full Version : holding back the years

jasona
29-09-08, 13:26
Hi i am jason i am 39 and was first introduced to panick attacks 16 years ago .I was at work in a wharehouse on a hot summers day when suddenly i could not breathe i hid in the toilet convinced i was going to die i went to hospital and was diagnosed with dehydration and sent home over the next few weeks i kept waking up i the night convinced i was having aheart attack and could not breather after countless ecg,s and tests a nurse spoke to me and said you are suffering with anxiety attcks i gave her a :bighug1: at last i had something to work with sadly my doctor was not too clued up about this and eventually presribed me 50mg of amytriptiline daily which i took over the next 8 years slowly lowering the dose to the point i took only when having an attack including moving and working in ibiza .then i met my now wife and we settled down and have 2 kids i was terryfied at the thought of being a parent i couldnt even look after myself properly but my then doc told me my anxietys would go away as id be concentrating on my childs health and not my own anyway over the last year i have slowly noticed that im getting into a comfort zone where i only want to holiday nearer to home and seem to be getting back to the old days of carrying a astma pump around even though ive not been diagnosed with it and have a flowmeter at home that i blow into about 300 times a day recently i went to hospital convinced i was unable to breathe and was on my way out 2 hours later and lots of tests i was sent packing with a brown paperbag and on arrival home still seething from the fact they didnt find anything wrong i took an amitrytiline ablet and have since been doing so regularly and calms and rescue remendies my doc has made an appointment for counsiling and prescribed me citalopram 20 mg which i have not taken because im scared too luckily i work for myself so can be where i want and avoid contact when feeling rough but i need help the thought of feeling ill everyday is depressing me and having a real negative eeffect on my family life in whole if thre is anyone out there that can advise me or help me that would be great id also like to help anyone if i can as ive experienced just about everything to do with this illness over the years regards jason

Cathy V
29-09-08, 13:42
Hi there jason. Sounds to me as if you do alot of overbreathing...hyperventilating. This causes an imbalance in the oxygen and carbon dioxide in your system (hence the paper bag they gave you!) Anxious people are always overbreathing and the feeling that you can tget enough breath is a result, and very common. You have to learn to breath much more deeply, not so shallow. There are loads of books and tapes/cds etc to teach people like us how to breath well. Maybe its worth trying some breathing exercises. A simple one is to sit comfortably upright and take a breath in through your nose for the count of 7, then let it out slow and steady through mouth for count of 11. This is a good way to redress the oxygen/dioxide balance.

Hope this helps
Cathy xxx

jodie
29-09-08, 13:55
hi

:welcome: to nmp

jodie x

jasona
29-09-08, 14:07
Hi thank you for replying im often told i breathe from upper chest and not from diaphfram i never get the fainting feeling many describe just pure fear and feeling of not breathing recenty ive had trouble with my back due to weight issues and the osteopath has said my diafram keeps tightening up which he says will make it harder to breathe when i got these years ago i was on my own living with parents now with a mortgage a business and 2 children and a wife im more worried about the affects it will have on everyone my wifes anoid at looking at booking holidays without me as i wont go very far she watches ibiza uncoverd and says i used to live there and work there but will not travel anymore its hard enough trying to understand for youreself without expecting others too

jasona
29-09-08, 14:10
hi

:welcome: to nmp

jodie x
thank you very much im realy hoping this is going to be a good site for me:yahoo:

jasona
29-09-08, 14:13
thanks i hope this site will introduce me to many people who can help me

Dazza
29-09-08, 17:05
Hi,
Welcome to NMP! Glad that you found us here.

You fill find lots of useful info, advice and support here.

Make full use of the forums to ask anything you want. We are here to help if we can.

lorac
29-09-08, 18:29
Hi Jasona

Welcome to the site I am sure you will get some good advice and support on here.

Take care

Carol

pooh
30-09-08, 01:04
Hi there and welcome along to NMP

Pooh x

jasona
30-09-08, 12:04
thanks i hope it will things have changed so much there never used to be any support available thaks for message
regards jason

jacq
30-09-08, 14:57
Hi Jason welcome to NMP,Bloody hell if you changed the name on your post it could have been my life - the first panic, hospital visits, kids, meds (tried them but had a bad experience and wont go there again) all except ibiza - you wouldn't get me on a plane if you paid me a fortune - lol. You will find plenty of support here and good advice.

Jacqui xxx

milly jones
30-09-08, 17:45
we welcome you warmly to
no more panic

love milly xx :hugs:

jasona
05-12-08, 15:43
Hi everyone ive not been on 4 a while
i have tried hypnotherapy,tapping,and counselling since being on and
im not sure any worked for me but would be happy to share my experience with anyone if it helps xmas coming busy shops and stress a bad time of year for uis guys but lets all try and forget the negatives and do our best to look forward and make something of it set ourselves a small goal for the new year just something tiny lets all share our experiencesd and support eachother we have all found a site that has something in common with all of us lets use it and message eachother to gain support and confidence even if not many people understand whart we are suffering we can all try and cheer eachother up in some small way come on guys enough is enough lets all look forward with optmisum together we can small steps at a time get better im not saying cured just a bit better and make life something to enjoy merry xmas to you all

belle
05-12-08, 16:11
Hi and welcome :)

x

weeble40
05-12-08, 20:53
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx