PDA

View Full Version : Hi, It was the cat!

Leslie
30-09-08, 00:15
I'm a long term sufferer of PTSD. The syndrome is always present but I have been recently referred for assessment. I seem to have always slipped through the net, diagnosed some 3 years ago but I moved location before treatment could begin. At that time I had what could be called a complete breakdown. This also happened some years before with near fatal consequences and culminating with, in my opinion bad counselling - the counselor alerted me to the fact that she was having counselling because of what I was telling her, her Grandmother had died in a aircraft accident! I felt extremelly guilty but the counselling was terminated due to the womans ill health.

My problems are triggered by TV, media, certain smells, death, peoples uncovered bodies and stress. The issue stems from an airliner which crashed on a mountain, a long time ago, which I attended as a rescuer. This time it was the death of a cat. It sound ridiculous but that is the fact of the matter. I think that my problem has become more complicated as life and time has gone on.

I do get panicy and anxious but try talk myself into relaxing and begin again whatever I was attempting but also find that I have lost some of my cognative skills which is both confusing and quite frightening. Taking Fluoxetine at this time.

Relationships are zero but I am a gregarious person and feel that I have driven everyone away and can't go back. I do not trust and have classic pre-cognition and know the answer before the question is asked, alert all the time although the Fluoxetine has taken the edge from this.

It is very rare that I sleep before 3 - 4 am which I find irritating and I always feel tired. Most of the time I feel emotionless but I can display inappropriate (I think) emotions. It is almost like my wiring is jumbled up.

I'm pleased that I have found this forum and look forward to support from it and perhaps I can give my support to others.

Yours

Les

Cathy V
30-09-08, 00:48
Hi lisa...sorry but which bit is about the cat...?

Leslie
30-09-08, 00:55
Paragraph 2 - my cat died and this triggered my PTSD and depression. A reaction to grief I suppose.

Les

Cathy V
30-09-08, 00:58
Aw, sorry to hear it. Well, you are certainly in the right place for sharing your experiences...about your cat that is, not sure about the mountain rescue bit! Its a mixed bunch but there's alot of info. Hope we can help.

Take care
cathy xxx

pooh
30-09-08, 01:00
Hi there and welcome along to NMP

Pooh x

Leslie
30-09-08, 02:57
Hi there and welcome along to NMP

Pooh x

Thank you for the welcome.

Regards

Les

kendo59
30-09-08, 04:06
Your cat died because your counsellors grandmother was on the airliner that crashed ???? *puzzled*

yorkylover
30-09-08, 10:36
Hi and :welcome: you will gets lots of support here and friendly advise.:hugs: :hugs:

DizzyDi
30-09-08, 11:05
Hi Les,
Im so sorry to hear that your counsellor was unable to help with your problems if she could not cope simply hearing about your harrowing experience it explains how hard it must be for you to cope with having experienced them. Just to clear things up for people confused by your post; you were saying that you were a rescuer in aircraft accident which is the cause of your PTSD which is now triggered by events surrounding death as well as others such as the death of your cat. Is that correct? Sorry for the confusion. Hope we can help you here at NMP. Warmest of welcomes, Di x

DizzyDi
30-09-08, 11:07
Kendo: The counsellor had to recieve counselling for the recount of Les's experiences of an aircrash as the counsellors grandmother had died in similar circumstances. Hope this helps :)

Leslie
30-09-08, 14:40
Hi Les,
Im so sorry to hear that your counsellor was unable to help with your problems if she could not cope simply hearing about your harrowing experience it explains how hard it must be for you to cope with having experienced them. Just to clear things up for people confused by your post; you were saying that you were a rescuer in aircraft accident which is the cause of your PTSD which is now triggered by events surrounding death as well as others such as the death of your cat. Is that correct? Sorry for the confusion. Hope we can help you here at NMP. Warmest of welcomes, Di x

Hi DizzyDi,

Yes that is correct, my apologies for confusing anyone. Thank you all for your welcome.

Regards

Les

milly jones
30-09-08, 17:49
we welcome you warmly to
no more panic

love milly xx :hugs:

bottleblond
30-09-08, 17:55
Hi Les

Welcome to the site.

So sorry to hear of your difficulties and i hope you get lots of help and advice here.

Love Lisa
xxx

Dazza
30-09-08, 17:58
Hi Les,

Sorry to hear about your suffering.

You will find lots of useful info, advice and support here.

Welcome to the NMP family!

Darren

lorac
30-09-08, 18:16
Hi Leslie

Welcome to the site there are many people on here who will understand how you feel and you will get some good advice and support.

Take care

Carol

keepemlaughing
30-09-08, 19:09
Welcome. I hope that you find answers, friends, and fellowship here.
God bless.

Leslie
01-10-08, 14:46
Millyjones,Bottleblond,Dazza, lorac and Sheryl

Thank you for you welcome to this site.

Regards

Les

pinkpiglet
01-10-08, 15:10
Hi Les, its fuuny that you should say you feel as if 'your wires are jumbled'. My mum suffered severe PND after my birth (33 years ago now) which resulted in a breakdown and she had to be hospitalized. She continued to suffer with chronic anxiety and became addicted to benzo's. My dad always remembers my mum trying to describe how she felt one night she told him 'I just feel as if my wires are jumbled! I don't know how to work them out' My dad said that at the time her anxiety was very bad and she just could not wind down on a night, she was surviving on just 3 hours sleep.
I just found it bizarre that you described it exactly the same as my mum did.
My thoughts are with you and if you need any advice from my mum, just PM me and i'l pass it on. Take care x

Leslie
01-10-08, 20:31
Hi Les, its fuuny that you should say you feel as if 'your wires are jumbled'. My mum suffered severe PND after my birth (33 years ago now) which resulted in a breakdown and she had to be hospitalized. She continued to suffer with chronic anxiety and became addicted to benzo's. My dad always remembers my mum trying to describe how she felt one night she told him 'I just feel as if my wires are jumbled! I don't know how to work them out' My dad said that at the time her anxiety was very bad and she just could not wind down on a night, she was surviving on just 3 hours sleep.
I just found it bizarre that you described it exactly the same as my mum did.
My thoughts are with you and if you need any advice from my mum, just PM me and i'l pass it on. Take care x

Hi, Thank you for your interest, I hope that your Mum is fine and well now.

Regards

Les