PDA

View Full Version : Does it get worse before it can get better ?

Marina
30-09-08, 11:22
Hi,

Ive suffered panic attacks/anxiety for about 5yrs, but have never admitted I have a problem until now. I had medication years ago but doctor only prescribed a months worth of pills, they didn't work so I thought it was just life, avoided situations and just tried to deal with it. Ive recently had problems at work everything came to a head and now I'm seeing a counsellor. Thing is now I feel worse than I did when I kept it all in, I'm crying, headaches, cant sleep and my minds in a constant whirr! - am wondering if its because Ive admitted theres a problem and its like a relief that Im trying to sort it

Stressed and confused Marina :weep:

Missy69
30-09-08, 11:29
Hiya Marina,
Sorry your having a tough time. I can only say for me, that the best way to even try and move forward is to learn as much as you can about anxiety. I mean in self help books not googling symptoms.
Have you read any books ?

Hope you feeling better soon, Sarah x

Missy69
30-09-08, 11:32
I alo found downloading information on to an MP3 player is easier for me, it sinks in better, my MP3 is full of all sorts of talks and advice, so if i ever feel really unwell, i just listen and the understanding seems to help me so much.

Take care x

Marina
30-09-08, 16:51
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your advice, no I haven't read any books as yet just usual internet stuff-which I suppose doesnt help.

Suppose reading might relax me a bit aswell ,not sure of which books to get, people on here mention Clare weekes quite a lot so Im thinking of buying that.

My counsellor says the right things to try and help me understand whats going on but Ive only been to 3 sessions so far.

Thanks again
Best wishes Marina x

nomore
30-09-08, 17:00
Hi Marina,

Not to worry, things will definitely get better!!! :yesyes:

I would also highly recommend Clair Weeks' books. Her book "Self Help For Your Nerves" helped me tremendously, especially with my health anxiety. I still have my moments, but things are usually no where close as to what they used to be.

One of the most important things that you have to do is accept the way you are, don't try to fight your anxiety, just let things be. With time, all your worries will go away. Also, don't be bothered if people don't understand the way you feel. I think that unless someone has gone through this it is very hard comprehend.

Good luck and remember, it's not a question of "if" things will get better but WHEN!:)

Davvid
30-09-08, 17:30
Hi Marina,
I also recomend Claire Weeks's books. I'm sure you'll benefit from reading them.
I also have an audio tape of her which I take in the car with me.
Try not to worry too much about the crying etc. All that will ease off in time, just go through it and you'll get better.
All the best, Dave.

Marina
30-09-08, 20:01
Thanks for replying no more and Dave,

Think I will get Claire Weekes book then it sounds like the best one to have

Best wishes

Marina x