PDA

View Full Version : Hormones (sorry boys)

popsy
30-09-08, 12:57
I have noticed a bit of a link between times of the month and my anxiety.

During the end of my period and a week aftewards i feel great, anxiety is really low, depression lifts and i feel on top of the world.....

....then my mood seems to drop, pa's come back and severe anxiety for three weeks.....

I am finding i am having one good week a month and it does seem to coincide with the end of my period and days afterwards.

Is this the same for anyone else? Does anyone else know why it would be at this time? I was wondering if the pill might help this or not?

I would really appreciate hearing any advice or experiences other people have had regarding this.

Thank you loads
Popsy x x x

jojo2316
30-09-08, 13:20
That's really interesting. I don't have periods at the moment because I'm still breastfeeding my son........ but I bet hormones do have an effect. I'll be really interested to hear whether other people have the same pattern as you. My anxiety does go up and down, but I haven't yet worked out a clear pattern. BTW, can anxiety stop periods altogether? I sometimes wonder why mine haven't returned yet - my son is 11 months, and although I'm still feeding him, it's hardly anything.
xx

gtrgrl3369
30-09-08, 13:41
Mine is just the opposite. I feel really off on the week I have PMS, I get lightheaded with my balance off and I have anxiety during that week, but as soon as my period starts I am fine. I mean the day it starts my anxiety goes away. I have 3 good weeks and 1 off one. Anxiety is so much fun isnt it.

Jaco45er
30-09-08, 13:51
Sorry boys?

Tell me about it, I get PMT indirectly every month

titchjd
30-09-08, 15:57
Sorry boys?

Tell me about it, I get PMT indirectly every month

Oh my heart goes out 2 you Jaco lol ..must be so hard being a man and NOT suffering PMT, PMS,Pregnancy ,swollen ankles morning sickness,Birth,etc etc haha ....Im sure your wife must feel terrible indirectly making you sufer PMT every month haha xxx:D xx How do you cope :roflmao:

eternally optimistic
30-09-08, 20:40
Hi Popsy

I get that.

Not sure if the pill would help, mine certainly doesnt.

Doctor did recommend I change mine to a certain that would assist with the problem but havent got around to switching over as I am trying to wean of the citalopram at the moment.

I can get really jittery and nervous around this time and definitely makes everything around me extreme - I can be a "mare" to live with, LOL.

I can first recollect having anxiety symptoms when pregnant 11 years ago but didnt realise that at the time.

Might be worth a visit to your GP to get some good advice.

Good luck

J

milly jones
30-09-08, 20:48
i asked re the pill and anxiety and was prescribed to go on the mini pill

my periods have been more frequent but i havent noticed any difference in my anx levels as yet

ill keep u posted pops

love mill xxxx

JodieT
30-09-08, 21:48
Hi Popsy

I was really interested to read your post. I have had anxiety, notably health, for years now but have only over the past year began (as has my partner) to wonder if there is a link between this and my periods. I begin to feel horrendously anxious, very irritable and angry about 2 weeks before my period, it arrives and lasts about 10 days and I get about a week or so before the pattern repeats itself. My palpitations have got worse recently and only in the run up to my period. I have just been away on holiday and was fine because I had just finished my period. I have felt great since I came back and more positive than ever but do feel edgy tonight and have had palpitations.

I am going to keep a detailed record over the next few months but part of me hopes that this is the problem and it's not just my mind all the time!!

Take care

Jodie xx

Simply Red
01-10-08, 10:40
I feel exactly the same Popsy. I can be calm and relaxed towards the end of my period and for up to 10 days after it but then i go down hill and feel anxious and panicky again. i suffer with PMT too so my poor hubby really gets it in the neck, one minute i'm sobbing and in need of a hug the next i could happily strangle him! I've got the docs next week so i might give it a mention.

Take care

Red xx:noangel:

LeeBee
01-10-08, 11:01
My anxiety levels start going up around 10-14 days before my period starts. The day it starts the anxiety levels go way back down. My symptoms vary depending on what else is going on in my life, but I often get a bit weepy, or irritable, or nervous and jittery. When it's at it's worst I'm a quivering nervous wreck, constantly leaking tears and/or snapping everyone's head off. Fortunately I don't often have months like that. Never been on the pill (except for a disasterous experiment at 18 - really didn't suit me) so can't help you there... I know it works for some women though. My best months are generally those when I've been eating, sleeping and exercising well.

popsy
03-10-08, 09:35
Hi Ya, thanks for all your replies.
Went to doctor yesterday, she said my moods might be progesterone associated (obviously not all the anx by it could be making it worse at certain times of the month) and prescribed me a progesterone only pill 'Cerazette'. However, i dont know now if i want to take it, its side effects are 'depression' and looking through womens health sites loads of woman have written it made them very anxious, which is the last thing i need!!!! Ive been so very ill and am still not right and cant bear the thought i might get worse by taking this, i dont really know what to do? Has anyone any experience of this pill?

Thanks lots
Love Popsy x x x

geddy
03-10-08, 13:37
Defo a link with me!!!!

My anxiety goes through the roof when my period is due!! I literally am like a different person! Can barely even function and carry out any day to day tasks, just wanna shut myself away.

Anyone found any good alternative remedies?

keepemlaughing
03-10-08, 16:40
I used to have panic attacks the week before and during my period. I would crave meth as I was an addict then. I had to have something ease all the panic I was feeling and if I was concentrating on the drug, I would think less about all my feelings. It finally stopped after my hysterectomy. BUt I remember it vividly. Hope you feel better soon.
Blessings,
Sheryl

Purple Fish
03-10-08, 17:09
Hey

I know exactly where you`re coming from! I too suffer PMS just before and during my period. My anxiety is worse around this time and my split second dizziness/lightheadeness. Once my period has finished I feel great! I`m on Norethisterone (the mini pill) not sure if it`s doing much though, I think it`s the prozac that is keeping me in check! My GP has told me that my anxiety is post traumatic stress related and my hormones just make it worse.

PF x :)

berkshiregirl
03-10-08, 21:17
That's really interesting. I don't have periods at the moment because I'm still breastfeeding my son........ but I bet hormones do have an effect. I'll be really interested to hear whether other people have the same pattern as you. My anxiety does go up and down, but I haven't yet worked out a clear pattern. BTW, can anxiety stop periods altogether? I sometimes wonder why mine haven't returned yet - my son is 11 months, and although I'm still feeding him, it's hardly anything.
xx

hi joyce

i too am still breastfeeding my dughter and my anxiety is up and down i still havent had a period and i was wondering if you still get the symptoms of a period without having one, becasue i am sure i am worse when my period is due but no period comes if tha makes sense xx

berkshiregirl
03-10-08, 21:18
sorry jojo i meant sorry