PDA

View Full Version : Medication making me feel worse??

lostsoul08
30-09-08, 14:21
I was prescribed 20 mg paroxetine for my depression and social phobia, i really didn't want to go down the drugs route but reluctantly gave it a go. And i have to say since starting it yesterday its made me feel far worse!

I wasn't able to sleep at all last night, im sweating, been vomitting, my eyes are dillated and i just generally feel awful. In fact i ended up sitting up all night till 8am in the morning drinking alcohol to try and knock me to sleep.

Also reading all the comments about withdrawl symptoms when you come off this stuff, i think i might just stop it now?

Is that wise?

bottleblond
30-09-08, 14:31
Hi there

Sometimes these meds do make us feel worse before we start to notice a positive difference but in saying that, sometimes it's a bit of a hit and miss as to which one suits us. I had been on a couple before they tried me on Venlafaxine, which is working for me.

If you really want to stop taking your meds then please just have a word with your GP first.

Best of luck

Love Lisa
xxx

joy
30-09-08, 18:25
you may find by snapping the tablet in half and taking 10mg for a week then upping to 20mg the side effects may be bearable

Joy

Yvonne
30-09-08, 21:00
Have you not had meds before? If not I think the gp starting you on 20mgs is rather a high dosage. Joy has given the right advice above.

With any anti depressant the first two weeks can be very very hard, doctors should warn patients of the start u p effects which can make anxiety and depression much worse.

I'd stick with it but on the 10mg dosage then up to 20mg as Joy suggested. The benefits of the medication may be well worth the suffering.

lostsoul08
03-10-08, 15:07
Have you not had meds before? If not I think the gp starting you on 20mgs is rather a high dosage. Joy has given the right advice above.

With any anti depressant the first two weeks can be very very hard, doctors should warn patients of the start u p effects which can make anxiety and depression much worse.

I'd stick with it but on the 10mg dosage then up to 20mg as Joy suggested. The benefits of the medication may be well worth the suffering.

No this is my first time with meds, as i've only just accepted that i have a problem and made the moves to do anything about it.

I haven't taken any since my bad day on monday and feel back to normal but normal isn't that good either with me so i may do as you both suggest and half my amount.

I'm seeing my GP again on Tuesday and seeing a phychiatrist soon aswell so hopefully that will do me some good.

keepemlaughing
03-10-08, 16:33
With meds you have to give them a couple of weeks to even start working. Maybe you should give it another go for at least a month. I did and I am much better now.
Blessings,
Sheryl