PDA

View Full Version : Long irregular heart rate episode....scary!

>>andy<<
30-09-08, 14:50
Hi, my first ever post here.
I've been a missed beat & palpatation sufferer since 2001.
Been under a cardioligist,but nothing serious was found and was discharged from seeing him in 2003.
I thought I was making some kind of recovery from these wretched episodes,but last night really scared the hell out of me.
I had been to work as normal,felt a bit tired,the usual Monday blues I thought.Later in the evening at home as I sat in the bath a my heart rate just went crazy.It was really irregular and high,now this had happened just for a moment or two in the past,but this was uncontrollable,it just would not stop! I told my wife who obviously told me to calm down and take deep breaths.But to no avail,it carried on and I spiralled in panic and fear.
I rang my Dad to come to our home and take me to hospital ASAP.
The longest car journey of my life! Even though it was only 10 mins.
Still had the symptoms walking into the hospital.
Was just so nervous and uncontrollable, that I was taken through straight away and laid on a bed and hooked up to machines and given oxygen to try and calm down a bit.
As soon a the pulse rate machine was attached they saw straight away that I had a problem.The moniter was going metal with my irregular pulse.
I just could not calm down and my pulse was making me feel like imminent death was around the corner:ohmy:
Well the doctor was amazing,overall this lasted nearly 4 hours was a dodgy pulse.He tried all the old tricks to reset the pulse,none worked! grr!Then had a drip put in my arm and a syringe was feeding a drug into me.
Eventually a cardiac doctor on call was sent to see me.He suggested going onto beta blockers and a referred me back to a cardioligist.
So I decide to go to the toilet,and what do you know,as soon as I get up the rate goes straight back to normal!
They were on the verge of keeping me in the hospital,but sent me home with the beta blockers,I took my first one today and have noticed a slight slowing of my pulse and yes I have taken the day off work just to try and rest and come to terms with what happened to me last night,as I say nothing that irregular has happened to me before and hopefully now I'm on medication for it I can try and get on with my life.
Scared the hell out of me though,I can tell you.

Cathy V
30-09-08, 15:01
Hi there andy, sorry to hear about your scare and hope your day of rest is helping you to feel more 'normal'. Well im afraid you're not alone with this on nmp, alot of us suffer with the old ectopics, and they are fuelled by stress (happiness is also a stress albeit a good one so if you're susceptable to them you can them on a good day too!) and obviously you already know about the caffeine/alcohol thing too. Yuve obviously also been told that some people are super-sensitive to feeling them and we are the unlucky ones!

But your 'episode' last night was a bad one and you'll never know if it was made worse by your own panic...i think it probably was. The docs were happy to send you home with the meds anyway, and i take betablockers also...propranolol 80mg a day. They slow the heart down and make the ectopics a bit less noticable. I say a bit, because for me i do still get them but thats because i habent quite stopped having my red wine at night so i put it down to that ontop of the meds...not a good combination really :blush:

You'll get loads of support with this onhere so keep posting and we'll have you feeling better in no time.

Take care
Cathy xxx :)

>>andy<<
30-09-08, 15:22
Thanks for that.
Funny about alcohol, We went out for a few drinks yestersday afternoon,I'd been wondering about that for a while now,possibly combined with tiredness, stress and work they probably don't all mix well!
Been put on Atenolol, 1 tablet a day for a month to see how I go with them,by that time I will have seen my cardioligist to discuss all this and to see if the meds have made any difference.(hopefully they will)
Cheers for the support ! :hugs:

Cathy V
30-09-08, 15:57
No probs andy and you'll get alot more replies to this post when everyone comes home from work/school run/docs appointments etc.

Just to say though that you dont sound like you're that old, but its a fact that you do have to look after yourself more as time goes on, especially if you're prone to anxiety-related symptoms. Im not saying turn into an old man but just to be aware of what the limits are for your own body.

I know that if i have more than 2 glasses of wine and dont go to bed until 2am then i will def suffer the following day. Its not really about the classic hangover anymore either, its much more than that and you will hear from members of all ages to say they cant allow themselves to get too tired, coz with or without alcohol tiredness is a real no-no for anx sufferers, particularly with the missed beats.

Catch you later
Cathy xxx :chairfall:

tayside lassie
30-09-08, 16:17
hi andy ...i hope your feeling a bit more calmer now ....i get the dreaded ectopic beats as well had them for at least 15 years or so and still cant get used to them ...i get them when im happy/sad/upset/ real bad if ive had an argument with someone and sometimes after ive eaten or eaten too much ..gave drink up as a bad joke years ago ..ive been on atenolol for 10 years and they do help the ectopic beats as you may all ready know they slow your heart down so you get less ectopics sometimes none for days/weeks maybe the odd one here/there ....there is two things i know that helps to stop them is drinking a glass of water slowly and pinch your nose and blow as if unblocking your ears ...oh and forgot coughing hard 3/4 times helps thats what i do ......you ll feel better with the atenolol and if it helps my oh gets them and my 20 year old daughter the only thing is it does not bother them but can cause others great anxiety ..

hope you feel better soon ....sally

>>andy<<
30-09-08, 18:02
No probs andy and you'll get alot more replies to this post when everyone comes home from work/school run/docs appointments etc.

Just to say though that you dont sound like you're that old, but its a fact that you do have to look after yourself more as time goes on, especially if you're prone to anxiety-related symptoms. Im not saying turn into an old man but just to be aware of what the limits are for your own body.

Forgot to mention Cathy,I'm 35/male.

Dazza
30-09-08, 18:12
Hi andy,

I can totally understand how you felt...I've been there myself!

I'm getting better slowly overtime, but I still get freaked out sometimes.

When it happens, I try to do deep breathing to calm myself down. not always easy i know, depending on how serious you feel your symptoms are at the time.

Darren

Rachey poos
30-09-08, 18:37
I get episodes of this at times...i wake up and my heart is thumping and missing and wobbling all over the place...usually lasts about 20 mins...but 4 hrs hun...bless you... What was the dotors reaction, were they saying you would be ok.... and did they put it down to stress? ...Its so strange the way our tickers respond to anxiety...last night i had a whole night with one flutter after the other and i can def' put it down to acid as i was rumblin and burpin real bad then it kept easing off then flutterin again....soooo weird... i am glad you are feelin better hun, I get flutters all the time and it has actually made me agraphobic...but one thing with me is that I cant go to the doctors as i have a terrible "doctor" phobia.....vicious circle!!

>>andy<<
30-09-08, 19:51
I get episodes of this at times...i wake up and my heart is thumping and missing and wobbling all over the place...usually lasts about 20 mins...but 4 hrs hun...bless you... What was the dotors reaction, were they saying you would be ok.... and did they put it down to stress? ...Its so strange the way our tickers respond to anxiety...last night i had a whole night with one flutter after the other and i can def' put it down to acid as i was rumblin and burpin real bad then it kept easing off then flutterin again....soooo weird... i am glad you are feelin better hun, I get flutters all the time and it has actually made me agraphobic...but one thing with me is that I cant go to the doctors as i have a terrible "doctor" phobia.....vicious circle!!
Well the doc on duty at our large a&e was fantastic,he was relaxed and laid back,kept things professional and threw in the odd joke about football teams and stuff.He kept reassuring me that this totally common among many people. Same for the cardiac doc who came to see me,he was totally reassuring and told me things I wanted to know and how we start to try and go about cutting out these awful symptoms. Thanks for the good wishes! :yesyes: :D :yesyes:

>>andy<<
30-09-08, 19:56
Hi andy,

I can totally understand how you felt...I've been there myself!

I'm getting better slowly overtime, but I still get freaked out sometimes.

When it happens, I try to do deep breathing to calm myself down. not always easy i know, depending on how serious you feel your symptoms are at the time.

Darren
Hi Dazza, So how long have you had symptoms. Are you a similar age to me? i am 35. Thanks for the tip!

Rachey poos
30-09-08, 19:57
hope we both have a better night :hugs:

>>andy<<
30-09-08, 20:28
hope we both have a better night :hugs:
Certainly feel a heck of a lot better than I did 24 hours ago! Here's to a ectopic free night! :emot-sleepyhead:

Dazza
30-09-08, 20:47
Hi Dazza, So how long have you had symptoms. Are you a similar age to me? i am 35. Thanks for the tip!

Hi Andy,

Yep, I am exactly the same age as you, 35.

I've had palpitations for a few months now, but it all really kicked off in May, when I thought that I was having a heart attack. It all came on just before i was due to move to Asia to be with my other half.

Once I got to Asia, it happened again, and then became a cycle... spent about 2 weeks in hospital, had lots of tests etc..

Am now seeing a cardiologist here in about a week from now. the whole thing has left me feeling terrified of dying of a heart attack. I'm not ready to go! There is a history of heart disease on my dad's side of the family, which only fuels my fear. I've had MRIs, CTs, echocardiograms, 24 hour ECGs... I've got an arrythmia, which is an irregular heart beat for which I take meds 3 times a day now. Hopefully I will not be on the meds forever. Other than the arrythmia, they haven't found anything wrong with my heart based on the tests done so far. There are only really another couple of tests that they could do and I would have had the A to Z of heart tests.

I've made some progress in terms of my anxiety, as only 10 days ago, sometimes I could not even get out of the house or up frm the sofa through fear of triggering 'the big one'!. I had a stress ECG last week and the result was fine, so at least now i am exercising again by going swimming several times per week.

Small steps each day.

Darren

>>andy<<
30-09-08, 21:18
Hi Andy,

Yep, I am exactly the same age as you, 35.

I've had palpitations for a few months now, but it all really kicked off in May, when I thought that I was having a heart attack. It all came on just before i was due to move to Asia to be with my other half.

Once I got to Asia, it happened again, and then became a cycle... spent about 2 weeks in hospital, had lots of tests etc..

Am now seeing a cardiologist here in about a week from now. the whole thing has left me feeling terrified of dying of a heart attack. I'm not ready to go! There is a history of heart disease on my dad's side of the family, which only fuels my fear. I've had MRIs, CTs, echocardiograms, 24 hour ECGs... I've got an arrythmia, which is an irregular heart beat for which I take meds 3 times a day now. Hopefully I will not be on the meds forever. Other than the arrythmia, they haven't found anything wrong with my heart based on the tests done so far. There are only really another couple of tests that they could do and I would have had the A to Z of heart tests.

I've made some progress in terms of my anxiety, as only 10 days ago, sometimes I could not even get out of the house or up frm the sofa through fear of triggering 'the big one'!. I had a stress ECG last week and the result was fine, so at least now i am exercising again by going swimming several times per week.

Small steps each day.

Darren

Yeah when I was orignally under the cardioligist I had every test going,the blood pressure 24hr moniter,the heart tape recording,cardiogram etc. But nothing was ever found.
Yesterday was the first time that arrythmic difribuilation was mentioned as a cause brought on by stress,tireness,work etc. Apparently with this condition,the cardio doctor was inclined to think that my heart has an 'extra circuit' that sometimes causes the rate to go a bit haywire when stressed,tired etc.I also suffered a major SVT episode in February 2008 when my son was born by emergency C-section! Grr! Again at the time I was totally freaked and stressed out,but also very mad at myself for not being able to stop it!
Are you on a Beta Blocker? If so how do you find them?I took my very first one today!
All the best,
Andy.

Dazza
30-09-08, 21:29
Yeah when I was orignally under the cardioligist I had every test going,the blood pressure 24hr moniter,the heart tape recording,cardiogram etc. But nothing was ever found.
Yesterday was the first time that arrythmic difribuilation was mentioned as a cause brought on by stress,tireness,work etc. Apparently with this condition,the cardio doctor was inclined to think that my heart has an 'extra circuit' that sometimes causes the rate to go a bit haywire when stressed,tired etc.I also suffered a major SVT episode in February 2008 when my son was born by emergency C-section! Grr! Again at the time I was totally freaked and stressed out,but also very mad at myself for not being able to stop it!
Are you on a Beta Blocker? If so how do you find them?I took my very first one today!
All the best,
Andy.

Hi Andy,

I'm not on beta blockers..I'm on an anti-arrythmic drug called flecainide. I was prescribed this by a doctor from whom I'd asked for a seconds opinion while I was in Vietnam. I wanted to know if I needed an EPS (electrophysiological study) whereby they put a catheter into your heart to diagnose exaclty what you describe: an extra electrical pathway in the heart. He said that from looking at my 24 ECG tapes that I didn't need it. But he did change me to flecainide, and so far each time I've spoken to any doctors here about it, they seem surprised that I'm on it, as my arrythmia is low level, and flecainide is normally given for serious heart rythmn disorders. Maybe my cardiologist will change the meds when I see him next week.

It does seem coincidental that this all kicked off just before I was due to move to Asia.. a big step! It mirror your experiences of it happening when you are stress / major life events like the birth of your son etc.

I hope that it is all down to this in my case, as I will know that I need to make some life changes to make more time for relaxing etc. I will know by the end of next week once I've seen the cardiologist. The doctors in Vietnam were great, and I was in the best hospital in Vietnam, but English was their second language. There is nothing quite like speaking about such scary things with a doctor who shares the same mother tongue as you. so that you can share all of your concerns and they can explain in clear terms, and not use words like 'it can be dangerous' as one of the doctors did in Vietnam... no wonder I've been obsessed with death these past few months!

All the best mate. :)

Darren

>>andy<<
30-09-08, 21:35
flecainide! Been trying to remember the name of the drug that they put in the syringe drip to try and stabilize the rhythm of my heart rate.
Yes that was mentioned in pill form if the Beta Blockers don't workout for me.
Thanks mate!

Dazza
30-09-08, 21:42
no worries mate - Reading and writing about on here makes me less worried about it, well at least for during the time that I'm typing, as I have to concentrate on something else for a few mins!

Darren

>>andy<<
30-09-08, 22:01
no worries mate - Reading and writing about on here makes me less worried about it, well at least for during the time that I'm typing, as I have to concentrate on something else for a few mins!

Darren

SOOOO true! Lol!!

Have u ever considered anything like acpuncture,hypnotherapy,reiki?
I am going to expolore these avenues as well I reckon.

Dazza
30-09-08, 22:04
Funny you should say that lol... I've got a hypnotherapy session booked for next Tuesday! It's a 4 hour 'breakthrough session' which combines CBT and hypnotherapy.

I've also been working through the free online CBT course at www.livinglifetothefull.com (http://www.livinglifetothefull.com) (as recommened by another No More Panic member!)

I've also had some counselling recently, which I intend to continue with. I'm going to do my best to get through this, get my life back and get back to my partner.

>>andy<<
30-09-08, 22:10
ok, keep in contact. Its nearly bedtime for me, so see ya soon mate.

belle
30-09-08, 22:43
Hi..
I had this last November, it lasted 4 days before i called an ambulance. First i was suspected to have Atrial Fibralation because my heart rate was all over the place, fast, slow, thumping, massive pauses...

I was hooked up to and poked at for 9 hours before they let me home feeling no better. I too was given beta-blockers but normally my BP is really low, so i've been too scared to take them because i know it lowers it even more.

I've had minor episodes since, i dread it ever happening again. I went through a cardiologist and was diagnosed with atrial ectopics.

I am a 33 year old women.

>>andy<<
01-10-08, 12:26
Hi..
I had this last November, it lasted 4 days before i called an ambulance. First i was suspected to have Atrial Fibralation because my heart rate was all over the place, fast, slow, thumping, massive pauses...

I was hooked up to and poked at for 9 hours before they let me home feeling no better. I too was given beta-blockers but normally my BP is really low, so i've been too scared to take them because i know it lowers it even more.

I've had minor episodes since, i dread it ever happening again. I went through a cardiologist and was diagnosed with atrial ectopics.

I am a 33 year old women.

Hi Belle, that sounds really awful,they sound almost sound exactly the same problems that I had.Seems these nasty symptoms really know how make us suffer don't they?

So how are you now,I presume you did manage to get back into a regular pulse rhythm eventually.
Are you still under he cardiologist ?
Take care.
Andy.

>>andy<<
25-10-08, 23:25
Well, now a month since the original episode happened to me.
I've now seen a cardioligist and a murmur has been detected in one of my valves.:unsure:
He explained everything and I had a Echo done straight away to confirm his diagnosis.
Eveyone is saying at least you know whats causing these symptoms,(ectopics,palps,irregular beat episodes),but I am scared.:weep:

I'm a 35 year old guy,been told that heart is not 100% and must be on beatblockers and now must be on Asprin too,just in case of clots that may form and cause stroke,not exactly the first year of fatherhood I had imagined,instead I am just worrying and aware of my pulse all the time just waiting for the 'Big One'
Deep down I am devastated,upset and can't even sleep properly for the worrying.(my wife has been amazing,but with an 8 month old boy to look after,it's getting all too stressful for me:weep: )

I hate feeling like this.

Cathy V
25-10-08, 23:35
Andy, im sorry you feel so down and that youve had this diagnosis. Strangely enough, after i gave birth to my first son, who is now 36, i went for my 6 week check and the doc said i had a heart murmer, but that it was nothing to worry about. The murmer sort of went away of its own accord and hasnt been detected since then, but a few years later, i started with the ectopics, and have had them on and off for best part of 33 years, as i may have told you in one of my replies to your origional post. Interesting.....

Cathy xxx

Rachey poos
26-10-08, 07:48
Has the doctor told you to worry andy or did he say you will be just fine!! I bet he said you will be fine xx keep positive ... xx

>>andy<<
26-10-08, 10:31
Has the doctor told you to worry andy or did he say you will be just fine!! I bet he said you will be fine xx keep positive ... xx

He said he wants me to do a 24hr heart recording while I'm on Atenolol to see what effects the medication is having on me,otherwise he wants to see me in 12months time. Don't suppose he'd be that worried if he's put 12 months between appointments???
It's just the fretting and worrying that makes it worse everytime I get a symptom I think of the leaking valve and start to imagine all sorts of things going wrong....:weep:

pedropanic
30-11-08, 14:29
Hearts are a funny thing aren't they, they feel like something you are at the mercy of. I was admitted to the ER with cardiac dysrhythmia and the doctors ran around and freaked out it was one of the worst experiences of my life; I thought I was dying.

I have been living in fear of this happening again, but mostly because my experience in hospital was so terrifying and the doctors were so useless and discouraging.

Don't feel guilty for being afraid, anyone would. You actually sound very brave! It's horrible living in fear, but it's definitely this cycle of fear which adds to the symptoms for me, and of course the symptoms add more fear and the cycle of panic begins!

If your cardiologist doesn't want to see you for 12months take it as a good sign and try not to add fear to every symptom. If you can learn to accept the symptoms and not add fear then you can begin to live with just the symptoms, not the added fear of the symptoms.

Also don't recoil in fear from your fearful thoughts about horrible things going wrong, we ALL have these thoughts. Let them come and accept that they are there but they are not important, rational or realistic. As you say it is the fretting and worrying which is making this intolerable, try to accept the symptoms and anxious thoughts without worrying about them, they are very normal parts of anxiety over what sounds like a very manageable health matter.

You might also find solace in finding a good GP that you can go to and discuss not only your heart symptoms, but also your anxiety about them and how this anxiety is affecting your life.

Take care and go easy on yourself; you've had a scary health episode and your a new Dad, you're doing well to not be hiding under the blankets! Take it easy mate.

lisajane34
02-12-08, 10:09
hi, im totally new to this site, thought it was time to see what other people have to say about this problem.
i was reading your origonal post about your hospital stay and it sounded like myself!! iv had ectopic beats for around 4 years now, and they have ruined my life to be blunt, i feel i cant get on and enjoy my life as i am waiting for the day my heart gives in! i know deep down this wont happen as iv had all the tests but this doesnt stop me waiting for that strange beat (that i get constantly) or running to a&e!! im scared to excersise, or even walk up the stairs to be honest, as i think i'll have a heart attack, its made me scared to go on holiday, as i need to know where the nearest hospital is (just in case lol) things seem to be worse when iv got indigestion (strange i know!) i get indigestion bad, probably due to stress and this seems to flair them up. iv been on propranolol for 4 years but to be honest i dont think they do much for me, as im fighting my own mind all the time. eating too much def makes em worse adn also been tired. i desperately want to be able to run around wiv my sons but im too frightened. i also get all the other classic panic symptoms which make my fear worse ie chest tightness, breathlessness, numbness in my arm etc and of course these fuel my heart attack fear, i had all the tests years ago and the only thing they came up with was benign palpitations due to anxity, which made me feel a bit better at the time, but deep down i dont beleive them, im convinced they missed something, if anyone has any ideas to help me get my life back, would love to know, sorry for waffling on, lisa-jane xxxxxxxxxx:weep:

Belinkabelle
03-12-08, 22:22
iv had ectopic beats for around 4 years now, and they have ruined my life to be blunt, i feel i cant get on and enjoy my life as i am waiting for the day my heart gives in! i know deep down this wont happen as iv had all the tests but this doesnt stop me waiting for that strange beat (that i get constantly) or running to a&e!! im scared to excersise, or even walk up the stairs to be honest, as i think i'll have a heart attack, its made me scared to go on holiday, as i need to know where the nearest hospital is (just in case lol) things seem to be worse when iv got indigestion (strange i know!) i get indigestion bad, probably due to stress and this seems to flair them up. i desperately want to be able to run around wiv my sons but im too frightened. i also get all the other classic panic symptoms which make my fear worse ie chest tightness, breathlessness, numbness in my arm etc and of course these fuel my heart attack fear, i had all the tests years ago and the only thing they came up with was benign palpitations due to anxity, which made me feel a bit better at the time, but deep down i dont beleive them, im convinced they missed something,

This could be me!

I spent this evening at A&E, convinced that this time they had to pick something up. I'd been feeling sort of weak this afternoon, like just a few steps would be too much for me. I'm only 26 and in reasonable shape so this isn't usual for me. Anyway, I had to walk home which involved a hill. I deliberately took it slow, but no more than a third of the way up my heart was racing. It wasn't the fast beat you get with exercise, more of a 'half beat' if that makes sense. I get ectopics too but this was different. I managed to convince myself I was fibrillating and was going to collapse and die - my heart just wouldn't slow down or settle into a comfortable rhythm. Then came feelings of impending doom, chest pain and breathlessness. I ended up calling my boyfriend to take me to A&E. They found nothing.

This sort of thing has happened before and I've had numerous investigations, none of which have yielded anything sinister. I still convince myself that something has been missed, that because I'm not having the 'episodes' during an ECG the doctors assume everything is fine. I struggle to sleep about half the nights of each month, lying in bed listening to my heart beat, wondering whether it's too fast, slow, faint, hard etc.

Now my chest sort of aches and I feel on edge. I'm to be referred to a cardiologist for the third time. Sometimes I can go a couple of months without ectopics or this palpable, sort of primal anxiety and then all of a sudden it's back, seemingly without warning. I'm at a loss to know how to prevent these episodes. I too avoid exercise because I associate an increased heart rate with fear. I avoid alcohol and so miss seeing my friends often because I feel I'm the odd one out. I don't smoke. I'm scared to go on holiday, to fly, to use medications in case they make my symptoms appear. I'm now even scared of local anaesthesia at the dentist because many have an ingredient which increases the heart rate. I worry about how I will cope with pregnancy or birth (I'm scared of that too) or if I am faced with really frightening life events. Perhaps worst of all, I am a mental health nurse and work with people to help decrease their anxiety. On some levels I am ashamed I can't sort myself out and feel I'm a hypocrite. Funnily enough, psychotic patients don't really scare me! I'd be more likely to get ectopics whilst writing up notes!

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat. Just reading through some of the posts on here helps me a lot.

Basejames
26-01-09, 20:37
iv had ectopic beats for around 4 years now, and they have ruined my life to be blunt, i feel i cant get on and enjoy my life as i am waiting for the day my heart gives in! i know deep down this wont happen as iv had all the tests but this doesnt stop me waiting for that strange beat (that i get constantly) or running to a&e!! im scared to excersise, or even walk up the stairs to be honest, as i think i'll have a heart attack, its made me scared to go on holiday, as i need to know where the nearest hospital is (just in case lol) things seem to be worse when iv got indigestion (strange i know!) i get indigestion bad, probably due to stress and this seems to flair them up. iv been on propranolol for 4 years but to be honest i dont think they do much for me, as im fighting my own mind all the time. eating too much def makes em worse adn also been tired. i desperately want to be able to run around wiv my sons but im too frightened. i also get all the other classic panic symptoms which make my fear worse ie chest tightness, breathlessness, numbness in my arm etc and of course these fuel my heart attack fear, i had all the tests years ago and the only thing they came up with was benign palpitations due to anxity, which made me feel a bit better at the time, but deep down i dont beleive them, im convinced they missed something,

I too have exactly this and the reason im on this now is because ive just been having skrewd up heart beats for the last half an hour. I too belive this is more than just palputations the worst one i had was a short one but i had a panic attack on top of it and that caused me some serious pain in my heart and ever since it seems to be more sensitive to these iregularities. i find anxity, stress, caffine, alcholl all effect mine but not all the time it may be a case of combinations caffine and alcahol. i dont know to be ohnest as they always seem to accure at the most random times. ive even had it happen when ive got got up and go to the loo its goes odd sometimes. im not sure but i think blood presure may have something to do with it but thats a guess.

cazzmatazz
03-02-09, 17:23
Have you looked into the possibility that you may have SVT?? I have had very similar experiences to you and the cardiologist after looking at recordings has diagnosed me iwth it. Maybe give it a google and see?

Basically my heart will flip flop which sets off an impulse which sends the heart into a funky rhythm. Apparently there is an extra pathway in my heart which is the cause and I can have an operation to burn it away. The cardiologist sais it wont kill me but episodes can be very scary and I am on beta blockers to help. Might be worth a look into

>>andy<<
14-05-09, 23:11
Well, I'm back here to check out my original post!
Pleased to see so many users have found this thread useful.:)
Just completed my first 6 months on Atenolol,and pleased to say I think they have made a difference.
I STILL get ectopics but not as many,and I definately have them pinned down to alcohol and when I feel really tired during the day thats when I feel they are about to make an appearance.And of course fretting about them and stressfull situations don't help.(Not easy with a noisy,hungry,messy little toddler!)
One thing users may find useful,is to try and not anticipate the next ectopic and to relax.I KNOW that is soooo easy to say,but I have somehow managed to 'train' my mind to not be thinking about the symptoms 24 hr a day(only 22!:D ) It seemed to work for me,but everyone is different as they say.
I'm due to review the 1st six months on Atenolol with a doc on Saturday,I have had 1 or 2 side effects I confess(some trembling) but I'm gonna discuss this and see what he says and decide if this is better than my original symptoms.
Thanks again all who have replied,and keep the faith people,together we are stronger! :hugs:

>>andy<<
23-02-12, 11:34
Well Hello! I thought I may sneak back onto my original post(nearly 4 years ago,yikes!) just so people don't think I've shuffled off this mortal coil.
My health is quite good considering and rereading my original post.
I am still on Atenolol 50mg a day and don't ever see me being off it to be honest. My doc asked me whether I would like to try a while off the drug, but I refused. I much prefer things as they are!
My symptoms are still there, but greatly reduced. I stiil get the ectopics but they are few and far between. The only symptom that worries me now is the occaisional 'cluster' of mini missed beats, but I find a good nights sleep usually clears them so I put it down to tiredness.
If you are reading this thread for the first time I hope the thread give you hope and some reassurance that things will be OK, I was at an all time low with my original symptoms and when my AF and SVT episodes happened I was devastated and mentally low.(they never reoccured btw)
But now I have 2 beautiful children and and a lovely wife to put my energy into.
Of course I now watch my alchohol intake and make sure I plenty of rest, oh and I changed my job too...believe it or not, I now work in a hospital!
Much less stressful than the hole I worked in b4.
Anyway must go, to all reading this, don't worry and try and relax mentally and physically, and rest up when u need it! Take Care, Andy :)

Joelle
24-02-12, 03:18
Wow I just found this thread and it was so helpful:)...I have had so many symptoms and anxiety over my heart beats as well. It is truly scary and just nice to find others going through similar situations and feelings.

I have the fear of travelling too and want to go see my kids this summer and hope I can be ok to drive to see them...not sure I would want to fly as read somewhere plane air pressure can make blood pressure go up, but maybe that is not true.

I am on medication and it sure does seem to help..have to watch my diet and not use much salt or I feel not good at all. I had an Echo last week and hoepfully get results tomorrow. Hope they are possitive and I can live a more normal life again.

Thanks so much for sharing everyone!

>>andy<<
12-03-12, 18:07
Wow I just found this thread and it was so helpful:)...I have had so many symptoms and anxiety over my heart beats as well. It is truly scary and just nice to find others going through similar situations and feelings.

I have the fear of travelling too and want to go see my kids this summer and hope I can be ok to drive to see them...not sure I would want to fly as read somewhere plane air pressure can make blood pressure go up, but maybe that is not true.

I am on medication and it sure does seem to help..have to watch my diet and not use much salt or I feel not good at all. I had an Echo last week and hoepfully get results tomorrow. Hope they are possitive and I can live a more normal life again.

Thanks so much for sharing everyone!

Hi, Joelle.

I'm so glad even one person has found this thread useful.
The day I wrote my original post back in 2009 I was so low and had no idea what the future held or what my experience would lead to.
What meds are u on? and do they make a difference?
Hope the echo results were fine for you and you continue to make progress.
Andy. :)