PDA

View Full Version : HIV Anxiety through Diabetic Lancet Pen

drewman
30-09-08, 19:36
Hi there

i am new here and very scared, basically i suffer from health anxiety alot and a situation has freaked me out.
My mother is a diabetic and i have been feeling ill of recent, so i used her test pen to check my sugar levels on her home kit to see if my levels were ok, luckily they were and that was the end of it.

then i read somewhere that u can catch HIV through sharing a pen? The reason i am scared is that it seems that my sister used the same pen last sept time and the needle hasnt been changed since, i 1st used the pen last March and actually had a AIDS test last June (not sure of the date) which was negative.

I am kinda scared that the test may not have picked up something incase i caught the illness from my sister, im not saying she has it (she doesnt know as she has never been tested) but she has been quite permiscious in her past.

Do u think i should go for another AIDS test?

milly jones
30-09-08, 19:45
aww hunny the anxiety is winning atm

the chances of ur sister having it and then it being still virulent on the needle and then it passing into ur body, its soooo slim

beside which ur mum has surely used it many times in between hunny

pls try and accept that this is anxiety playing with ur mind

if u still cant escape these thoughts discuss ur fears with a member of the sexual health team or ur gp to put ur mind at rest

hugs

milly xxxxxxxxxxx

drewman
30-09-08, 19:49
Hey Milly

thanx for the reply, i phoned the Terrence Higgins helpline and they assured me i dont need to get a test, i said that i have anxiety and quite a few intrussive thoughts. They said they get MANY anxiety phone calls a day about strange things

Even my doctor smiled when i told her as she knows i suffer from anxiety and didnt seem concerned with it

Still cant seem to shake it off my mind though

milly jones
30-09-08, 20:02
aww hugs pet

mill xx

drewman
30-09-08, 20:07
Am i worrying for nothing? i guess these professionals cant be wrong

milly jones
30-09-08, 20:17
the professional are right hunny

ur worrying

pls try and stop

mill xxx

drewman
30-09-08, 21:55
I think this could be OCD as i obsess over many illnesses, relationships and other issues.

All intrussive thoughts

kazzie
30-09-08, 22:04
Hey ThereI have a similar device for my blood sugar(diabetic also)You wont catch anythingTell yer Ma to change the needle more often tho......they hurt when they are bluntLuv Kaz x x x

drewman
30-09-08, 22:06
Hi Kazzie

my mum bless her has just got a new pen, i am REALLY scared with blood and feel bad for even accusing my sister of having anything wrong.

I just fear that i will catch HIV and pass it on to my partner, ive had 4 tests in the last year and all have been negative.

I was fine until i twisted this in my head and it has worried me ever since.

kazzie
30-09-08, 22:33
Hey DrewPlease dont worryKaz x x x

drewman
01-10-08, 07:13
I will try, thank u for your reply

anyone else had a problem with this before?

joyce1980
01-10-08, 09:07
Oh I have had this worry for a year or so and now it's gone (im on meds)

Here is a saying that will help you : "if it dries it dies"

Aids is such a very fragile virus once outside the body and it dies.
So the time between your sis used the pen and then you, the virus would be dead.

Now this is a fact, in saying that .... your anxiety is leading you down
bull s*%t street.

You will be just fine, like your Drs said, and i hope my saying helps you like it did help me.

drewman
01-10-08, 09:18
Joyce i really appreciate your words, i have been put on meds also but they dont seem to help with my anxiety yet.

My mind plays crazy tricks with me, its like "My sister used it, then my mum used it which means she must have it, then passed it to me"

its a mad cycle of thoughts

joyce1980
01-10-08, 09:21
At the time it feels so real, i know!
Anti d's take a good 4 weeks to work, make sure you keep in contact with your Dr.

Keep in mind " when it dries it dies"

drewman
01-10-08, 09:34
thank u, did u have CBT to help u through this?

joyce1980
01-10-08, 09:42
Yes but I still have 2 courses to go.

I'm affraid to say that when I was 18 I went onto Seroxat and wan on it until I was 25, I came off to try for a baby and within 3 months I went back to my old ways.

I am back on my meds now and after 4 weeks I am back to being a rational person, my meds are amazing but my Dr says like my mother and uncle we have a chemical imbalance in the brain and we need more serotonin to function and that's what my meds do.

The cbt is all well and good but I believe its more for people who have developed anxiety through a divorce, loss of job, death and a bad experience.

I however have always had this problem and my life was pretty much the norm.

So yes cbt is useful but when you are unwell like me, it's meds that work.

drewman
01-10-08, 09:48
I am on a waiting list for a anxiety team as i show signs of OCD.
This fear has lasted for 2 weeks now which is the longest i have, usually one will pop in and get replaced by another.

I find HIV fears more of a worry as this is my original fear from last year and always feel that i have slipped up some how, like this diabetic pen for example

joyce1980
01-10-08, 10:08
Yeah it is a form of ocd and when you have your appointment they will be able to oofer you the best form of treatment usually including meds.

Trust me once your on the road to recovery this will all be behind you.

Email me anytime

drewman
01-10-08, 13:56
I just did a stupid thing and went onto a HIV chat room
I felt possed doing it and i really shouldnt have, everyone was telling me to test.

So scared again

joyce1980
01-10-08, 14:19
Why on earth would you do that

Compulsive, well it happens. your going to have to live with it at the mo, until your meds kick in.

Oh and everyone would be telling you to test because they don't know!!!!!!!
How on earth would they know what's going on, did you tell them you have health anxiety??

Oh dear, don't worry help is at hand and when you get that appointment make sure you tell them all of this.

drewman
01-10-08, 14:21
I really dont know, feel terrible for doing it. It was like a complussion or something

joyce1980
01-10-08, 14:32
It's just part of your illness don't worry about it or feel guilty but do go for your appointment as you can't live like this mate

milly jones
01-10-08, 19:12
hun i get bad thoughts, not about my health but other stuff and they become totally paranoid

please seek help as the hospital have juswt about got mine under control by meds and therapy

be honest at the docs, they have heard it all before and nothing u say phases them

hugs

milly xxxxx

drewman
01-10-08, 19:23
I just got my appointment letter for a assesment on monday with the hospital, very happy its finally come.

My mind is still juggling weather or not i should go for a AIDS test this week though before i go

crunchie01
02-10-08, 11:25
hi,

i too have an hiv fear, i have seen a counsellor regarding this fear and the fear of cancer, he has told me in no uncertain terms hiv does not live outside the body, it is very fragile virus and it doesnt live for even upto 1 second outside the body.hope this helps

jennie

drewman
02-10-08, 13:34
Thank u for that, i also read that a lancet isnt a hollow needle so blood cant get trapped.

drewman
02-10-08, 15:40
I am going to stand up to ths, realise that i have a disorder and not HIV

keepemlaughing
02-10-08, 16:51
Stop worrying and listen to the good advice of your doctors and people here who know what you are going through.
Blessings,
Sheryl

drewman
02-10-08, 18:35
Thank u my friendm , im doing a lil better this evening