PDA

View Full Version : Feeling sad and need help :(

girlygirl08
30-09-08, 22:51
Hi everyone,

I have a problem that has been bothering me for 2 weeks now. I have been with my boyfriend for 4 months now and it's an amazing relationship, it couldn't get any better. We have been together since the last week of May and we are both 19 years old. Over the summer, we have seen each other every day (I've seen him every day in June, July and August) and we have been in each other's sight for 24/7 and we loved every minute of it. We are very physical with each other, we kiss all the time, we have a healthy sexual relationship, we are very supportive towards one another and we help each other out with everything. We are boyfriend and girlfriend, and we also consider each other best friends.

Over the summer, I used to get horrible thoughts about losing him. I was afraid that he would find someone else and leave me, or something would happen to him and I would lose him forever. I used to cry a lot about it. He was very supportive with me and promised me he would never go anywhere. He even gave me a promise ring and promised me he would love me forever. That made me feel so loved :). Now I don't get anymore thoughts about him leaving me.

Summer ended and now it is September. I just started my second year of University earlier this month. My boyfriend also started a new full time job this month and his hours clashed with mine. (I would be going to school in the mornings and come home late afternoons, and he starts work late in the afternoon and goes home very late at night). So really we only see each other twice a week, we were so used to seeing each other every day over the summer.

Ok so this is where the problem comes in. During my first week of school, I've been studying a lot and and I hardly got to see my boyfriend. One of my courses started to really give me trouble and I started to worry about failing it. That weekend after the first week of school, I spent with my boyfriend. We were so happy to see each other and the week end went great. When Sunday night came around, I realized he had to leave and I would'nt see him again for another 5 days. I started to cry that night before he left and I kept saying "I don't want you to leave because I'm going to miss you." I also started to cry to him about my courses and that I was worried about failing. When he left my house and went home, I started to cry because I missed him already.

The next day I was at school and I wasn't in a very good mood. I didn't want to be there and I was struggling to stay awake in class. When it was lunch time, I was getting ready to call my boyfriend. As soon as I was about to call him, a horrible thought came into my mind. It said "do I even like him anymore?" The thought scared the life out of me and I couldn't believe it. I called him and the phone conversation went great.

Ever since that day the thought in my head lingered. I'm having thoughts about leaving him, not wanting to be with him anymore, not being in love with him anymore.... these thoughts are driving me insane! I know I love my boyfriend dearly, and he loves me.. but why am I thinking this way? There is nothing wrong with my relationship. My thoughts are worse when I am alone. They are not constant, they come and go. When I do get a chance to see him, the thoughts aren't nearly as bad and they only pop into my head sometimes during the time I spend with him.

Ever since that day I started to experience other symptoms. I feel negative towards most things, I have lost interest in old activities, I don't want to be around anyone, I've lost concentration at school and I find it hard to study, I'm always tired, I have trouble eating as much as I used to, I cry a lot and I also get physical symptoms such as headaches, heaviness in chest, trouble breathing and sometimes trembeling. I haven't had a decent night sleep in days because of the heaviness in my chest and having trouble breathing keeps waking me up in the mornings and I can't fall back to sleep.

I went to the doctor about this and she says that I am suffering from anxiety and encouraged me to go see a psychologist about it. I've told my boyfriend about my horrible thoughts and he is very supportive and keeps telling me that it is my anxiety talking. He has faith that someday I will get better.

That's pretty much my problem... my anxiety and these negative thoughts are really getting me down and driving me insane, especially they are all about my wonderful boyfriend, whom I know I love very much.. but my mind is telling me otherwise. Some people think that my anxiety and my negative thoughts are because of stress from school and the sudden time apart from my boyfriend. That is also what my boyfriend believes. He says he will never give up on me and he knows that we will get through it. I do hope so because I don't want a wonderful relationship to end because of it.

Did anyone else experience anything similar to this? I need help and advice in how to cope with it. I feel soooooo sad :( I don't want to lose him, but I'm afraid that my thoughts will take over me and I will do something stupid like break up with him and regret it later. :(

kendo59
30-09-08, 23:29
I think it understandable to feel anxious about missing your boyfriend... however... (and I'm gonna sound like a parent here)... you've only got 2 years left to complete your degree - and that 2 years is an important investment in the rest of your life, and it will pass very quickly. Enjoy your time at uni while it lasts. Your studies should be a priority at this time. Relationships come and go very easily during this time, and the priority must surely be on your studies. You will regret it if you blow your studies over all this needless worry. If this relationship is meant to be, it will survive. If you and this lad are serious about each other, the relationship will survive all the pressure of your studies and his working hours. Think of the couples, where the bloke goes off for months at a time - military, long-distance lorries, oil-rig workers, etc. All jobs where there are long periods spent apart. All it means is the time spent together is all the more precious.

Savour the times together while you are able to, and throw yourself into your studies during the week. Worrying isn't going to accomplish anything, it'll only ruin what you have.