PDA

View Full Version : I think this is anxiety..

D For Danger
01-10-08, 06:54
Hey guys, i'm new :)

Ok well about 1 1/2 years ago when i was still at school i had to climb a 6 story tower block for my science lessons. I was always a bit scared of heights but 6 storys inside a building was nothing.

Well one day when i was up there in one of my lessons suddonly for no aparant reason i felt like i was going to fall off the planet! I went all hot and sweaty and absolutely hated the feeling. I quickly run down to the ground level with barely any balance. That's the day i quit school, all because of that.

Since then ive had this feeling whenever i go about 2-3 storys high weither outside or in. Its a horrible feeling and has/is ruining my life! I've spoke with my parent's and they say its due to anxiety and im yet to see a docter but i should be seeing one soon, but i just wanted to ask you guys if you know anything about this, heard of it before or perhaps experienced it yourself?

My reasons for thinking its anxiety are all my life (according to my parents) ive been anxious. Whenever i do something im not used to doing daily, or stand out infront of the crowd (say, public speech) i get very nervous, butterflys in my stomach and that, same with when i meet new people. I also belive im depressed, often feeling suicidal and feeling worthless because of my appearence etc. Could depression make it worse ?

Well thank you for reading this!!

:yesyes:

LeeBee
01-10-08, 10:15
Hi D,:welcome: to NMP

It certainly sounds like you've got some anxiety issues. It's definitely a good idea to go and see a doctor to get a diagnosis and to discuss treatment options.
Pretty much everyone here on the site will understand what you're going through, having been through something similar themselves. You're definitely not alone. Have a good look round the site, there's lots of help here, and lots of understanding people. The phobias forum might be of interest to you? Welcome again, I hope you find some help and support in here.:)

vti2007
01-10-08, 10:48
Hiya,

Could be anxiety or could be some form of vertigo. I have to go high a lot in my job in "cherry pickers". For my own safety I have had to put about a 30 foot limit on how high I will go, above that height I cannot function. I get the same as you do. Sweating, Dizzy etc.

Vertigo can get you in strange ways. Somebody who suffered from it went up in a cherry picker to 60 odd feet and he actually jumped out and seriously injured himself. His mind had decided that it was safer to jump out than remain in the basket at that height. It has happened a few times apparently. Vertigo is well recognized now as a serious problem with working at height.

Could be that an initial case of vertigo has triggered of some sort of anxiety about being at height inside or out?