PDA

View Full Version : How to help

LucyA
01-10-08, 11:34
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could possibly give me a few hints on how to help my boyfriend who has OCD. It's quite early on in the relationship but I'd love to be able to reassure him that I'm here to help. Also he's extremely supportive with my anxiety and knows exactly what to do to stop my avoidance behaviours, so I'd like to return the favour!

Is there anything I should avoid doing? Obviously it's quite a sensitive subject for a lot of people so I don't want to go offending him.

Thanks! Hope you're all well and taking care of yourselves :hugs:
Lucy xx

leeg
01-10-08, 12:30
hey living with ocd is not easy what is his obsession???

lee xx

gtrgrl3369
01-10-08, 13:52
Its really nice that you want to help. What does he get obsessed about?

LucyA
02-10-08, 11:49
As far as I can tell it's not too bad but he's very clean and checks stuff before we go out. I always think maybe I should offer to do the checking and see if he's ok with me doing it instead, so maybe eventually he can be free of it!

gtrgrl3369
02-10-08, 14:10
As a checker and washer myself, helping him with that is not a good idea. It is something that needs to be done by him for his own peace of mind and having someone else do it will only put doubt in his head that it was done right. It has nothing to do with you or your ability to do it "right". Wanting to help is a nice thing to do though.

LucyA
06-10-08, 03:28
Thanks gtrgrl :)

I'm sorry to hear you suffer with OCD, I really hope it gets better for you soon. It's hard to put yourself in the position of someone who is suffering with it if you don't yourself so it's great to hear advice from you. It makes sense that he needs to deal with it himself.

Thanks again :) Take care xx