PDA

View Full Version : Had a panic attack

MidnightRunner
02-10-08, 00:51
I just don’t get it. I am really upset with myself, its the first one in ages.

For well over a year and a half I have had a mental block about driving a certain journey and tonight I thought I would go for it. I got ¾ of the way there (25 miles) and I had a panic attack. I controlled it well and still quite pleased I did a lot of the journey, but I had to turn back and disappointed I had one at all.

The weird unreal feeling was just as scary as the first time it happened. I wish it hadn’t happened. I was doing it to prove I was better, and I have done it in the past. Is this just a setback, I mean should I try again?

I am just confused and after having panic attacks I normally feel rough for a while.

I felt ok if little worried and tired after, but just wish they would go away. I try and do everything right, eat and sleep well, talk about problems, and no matter what I do they are always lurking in the background. :weep:

kenboon
02-10-08, 07:57
I think that you have done well. You were obviously very worried about the journey and that in turn would get you very worked up and increase you anxiety levels. I'd try the journey again, you need to build up your confidence and know you will be ok.And you should give yourself some credit for facing it and doing it as it was a massive step. If you start avoiding the situation again you will just increase the anxiety levels again. Take positives from it Jamie, you did over half the journey the first time and the next time you will get there :) and be fine.

Dont give up your doing well :)

All the best

Ken

Zotamis
02-10-08, 08:51
Heya Jamie,

Dont get discouraged, I know I had to turn back a couple of times on trips. I was really anxious and nervous, so thats what did me in.

I definitely suggest you take the positives from the experience, and not the negatives.

hope that helped

Veronica H
02-10-08, 08:52
Hi Jamie
I think you did really well, but it is better to treat it as a practice rather than a test. The anxiety will get less over time, but it sounds as though like many of us you were testing to see if the anxiety had gone completely, which of course it can't because everyone gets a bit anxious and the goal is to reduce this to manageable levels. I have not been able to drive my car for 2 months so I really admire you for sticking with it....don't give up.
Veronica

minihaha
02-10-08, 23:33
Hi Jamie, firstly well done for tackling the journey and pretty much completing it, thats a huge positive achievement. Like others have said, dont see it as a test (although we always do, i am the very same so i can totally relate) To do this journey after worrying and analysing over it in your head after a year and a half was always going to be difficult - you have invested so much time preparing yourself for it. Dont be too hard on yourself - you have achieved a lot today without realising it.

K x

keepemlaughing
02-10-08, 23:58
I agree with Ken. You probably built it all up in your head and expected to have one, therefore you did. That is okay. At least you tried, and next time you will make it! Give yourself for the effort.
Blessings,
Sheryl

cameron
03-10-08, 01:03
Hi Jamie,

You did well, Dont beat yourself up mate, Youll get it right next time.

Cameron.

MidnightRunner
03-10-08, 12:48
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I guess I am used to panic attacks being a very up and down condition, its just when one hasn't happened for a while you think you're 'safe'.

I will try again, and hope for the best. And I think the fact I am stressed and upset with other things isn't helping, but I think the main thing when anyone has an attack is to just carry on and keep busy or is can affect us badly.

josparks
14-08-10, 20:41
im like that at mo jaime i feel really ill after i have attacks lately everthing is settin me off my problem is ive stopped eatin to

heavenly
16-08-10, 10:07
I just don’t get it. I am really upset with myself, its the first one in ages.

For well over a year and a half I have had a mental block about driving a certain journey and tonight I thought I would go for it. I got ¾ of the way there (25 miles) and I had a panic attack. I controlled it well and still quite pleased I did a lot of the journey, but I had to turn back and disappointed I had one at all.

The weird unreal feeling was just as scary as the first time it happened. I wish it hadn’t happened. I was doing it to prove I was better, and I have done it in the past. Is this just a setback, I mean should I try again?

I am just confused and after having panic attacks I normally feel rough for a while.

I felt ok if little worried and tired after, but just wish they would go away. I try and do everything right, eat and sleep well, talk about problems, and no matter what I do they are always lurking in the background. :weep:

Well done for actually making a lot of that journey. That is so good, well done! You build things up in your head, which obviously increase the anxiety levels. The fact you made it that far, is a positive thing. You will do the whole thing, just give yourself time. xxx