PDA

View Full Version : Cbt What I Have Learnt, Maybe It Will Help You

ruthb1
02-10-08, 11:17
Hi there, i have been going to cbt for 3 weeks now and have to say it is quite usefull.

on my last visit my therapist gave me a sheet with types of thoughts and explanations. i hope this may help others put there thoughts into perpective.

TYPE OF THOUGHT

THINKING THE WORST
EXAGGERATING
MIND READING
BLACK AND WHITE THINKING
WORRYING
WISHIFULL THINKING
BEING HARD ON YOURSELF
HOLDING IRRATIONAL BELIEFS
COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS

WAYS TO CONQUER NEGATIVE THOUGHTS

1) LOOK FOR EVIDENCE:- WHAY ACTUAL EVIDENCE DO YOU HAVE THAT YOUR A BAD PERSON

2) WOULD YOU SAY WHAT YOU SAY TO YOURSELF TO YOUR BEST FRIEND:- SPEAK WELL OF YOURSELF

3) PUT THINGS INTO PERSPECTIVE:- WHATS THE WORST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN

4) LOOK AT OTHER WAYS OF SEEING THINGS:- EG IF SOMEONE IS LATE SOMETHING GOOD COULD HAVE HAPPENED.

5) DO YOU GET ANY PAYOFFS FOR HOLDING ONTO NEGATIVE THOUGHTS:- ARE THE PAYOFFS WORTH IT?

6) AVOID COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS:- YOU ARE UNIQUE

7) AVOID LIMITING AND EXAGGERATING WORDS:- EG SHOULD MUST, ALWAYS, NEVER, NOBODY ETC.

8) ARE YOUR BELEIFS REALISITIC:- IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE LIKED BY EVERYONE, IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE PERFECT.

SORRY IF ITS CONFUSING BUT I THOUGHT IT MAY HELP, IF YOU HAVE ANY QUERIES OR WANT HELP WITH IT JUST PM ME

TAKE CARE

RUTH

hopeful
02-10-08, 13:50
Thanks for that Ruth.Sounds interesting,hope it helps you.Think I'll print it off for myself.:) .
julie x:hugs:

Missy69
02-10-08, 14:12
Great post Ruth, Just jotted it all down thanks, any more advice would be appreciated.
Take care :winks:

gerdy
02-10-08, 17:34
Good stuff Ruth! I know that my main problem is my thinking and these are all the distortions in my thoughts when I am in a panic cycle.

titchjd
02-10-08, 17:37
Thanx 4 that thread it should help I have been having CBt and im trying 2 change my thoughts and way I think x

Good luck with yr CBT xx

Titchjd xxxxxxx

marie1974
02-10-08, 17:41
thanku for that, i too have had cbt for 5 months and its really helped me to become more confident and not worry about wot people thinkof me.

also i have realised i am way to hard on myself and ive learnt to be alittle more selfish cos it dont make us bad people.

i hope you get lots from your cbt and that it helps you to move forward in life like it has me. hugs xxx

CONS
02-10-08, 18:30
Starting CBT and group therapy shortly, thanks for the heads up,

CONS

Veronica H
05-10-08, 19:18
:) hi Ruth
This is really useful. I have printed it off .
Thanks
Veronica

no-fear
14-01-09, 22:45
The thing about CBT is that it is not trying to change your irrational negative thoughts into positive thoughs, it is trying to make them more logical and to make you realise that they are irrational and unhelpful negative thoughts.

Some thoughts are genuine negative thoughts, but you can still decide on how much you really care about them and how much you let them affect you.