PDA

View Full Version : Lump In Throat

ellida
02-10-08, 12:04
Hi - for the past few days I've had a feeling in the left hand side of my throat like sth was stuck there - like a tablet or sth. I've tried really hard not to check it but caved in this morning and I can see a strange lump on the back of my throat, the bit that covers the tonsils. Am now really worried - should I go and see the doc? Has anyone else ever had anything like this? It's not a swollem tonsil as it's in the wrong place.......Exx

june
02-10-08, 13:03
:flowers: ellida, this is from "symptoms" under Problems/Issues on the left of the screen.
If you have seen your doc and been told it is 'stress' related then read the rest of this it is helpful:)

"""You feel as though there is something stuck in your throat or sometimes feel there is a lump in your throat. Other times you may feel that you can barely swallow or that there is a tightness in the throat, or that you have to really force yourself to swallow. Sometimes this feeling can lead you to think that you may suffocate or get something stuck in your throat. """"
What causes this:
When in danger, stress biology produces a tightening in the throat muscles which produces the choking or 'something stuck in the throat' feeling. When in a nervous or stressful situation, many people will experience this feeling. It is often referred to as 'a lump on your throat'. """"""""
I hope you are feeling better now:hugs:
Best wishes
june

ellida
02-10-08, 13:11
Thanks June - but I haven't been seen by a doc on this so maybe I should and have been pretty good for the last few weeks as my meds have kicked in so I'm worried (ironic I guess) that it can't be anxiety related.....perhaps I should go and get it checked out.......Exx

beauty
02-10-08, 13:58
It could be related to anxiety, but on the other hand it could be an infection like tonsilitus, particularly because you can actually see a lump. I get it nearly every year but it is never bad enough to get my tonsils removed. It would usually be painful if it was tonsilitus though, yet it could be a milder form. Leaving it wont do you any harm but it is maybe worth having it checked out.
But don't worry over it, as if it is an infection it wont make you really ill or harm you in any way, it will just be a simple course of anti-biotics to clear it up.