PDA

View Full Version : Night panic

sarap
01-12-03, 16:00
I woke up at 4am (went to bed at midnight) this morning gripped by the most awful, disabling panic. I can't remember having any dreams at all last night, so I don't think it was from having a nightmare. Took two and a half hours to get my breathing back to near normal then I dozed off for about an hour. Woke up feeling slightly better, but still very anxious. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this?

Please help. :(

sarah
01-12-03, 16:23
Hi Sara

Sounds normal to me, i suffered from this for a bit although not for a while now. Used to wake up with terrible panic almost feeling unconcious so yeah i know what you mean. Best thing i used to do )and still do just in case)..keep a big bottle of water beside the bed and have a drink when you feel like this.

love Sarah

sarap
01-12-03, 16:35
Thanks Sarah,

I will try having water by my bed tonight. It's very scary.....

Sara x

sarah
01-12-03, 16:38
Sara

hope you get on alright, i know its scarey but i think the more i had them, the more i got used to it and eventually it went away. Dont try to fight it, just drink your water, lie down and think of nice things....a lovely sandy beach, what you would do if you won the lottery....anything to distract yourself.

love Sarah
xxx

diana
01-12-03, 19:15
Hiya Sara,

This also sounds very "NORMAL" to me. I have had the same thing happen at times of being very anxious. It is hard to be waken out of your sleep with panic. It makes you feel uneasy, like there is something terribly wrong, and it takes a while to get your thoughts together. To understand what is going on, and know you are not having a bout with the grim reaper! Like Sarah suggests, keep water beside your bed. It also helps if you have a "RELAXATION" tape or CD readily available at your bedside, so that when you lie back down to rest you can listen to something soothing. I find that is easier for me at that time of being waken out of a sleep with panic, to reach for a CD or tape to get my mind off of things. Instead of relying on my own resources at that particular moment. Keep ya chin up won`t you. Think of nice, positive things. This too shall soon pass!!!!!

Diana xxxxx

twister
01-12-03, 20:16
I wake up in the night with panic and shallow breathing quite a lot....

Emily

Lottie32
02-12-03, 08:59
When I wake up, I put on my relaxation tape.

I've got no idea who it's by, it's a man with a nice northern voice, who starts by regulating your breathing then guiding you down some steps into a garden.

I've got no idea what happens after that, cos I'm always asleep!!!

Charlie

diana
02-12-03, 14:22
Hiya Charlie,

That tape sounds great. Where did you get it? Do you know the name of it? Post and let us know, if you know!!! LOL.............

Diana xxx

florence
02-12-03, 15:19
Hello Sarap ,
What you described is what I experience at the moment.I have to take sleeping pills to ease my tensions and fears at night. I am also starting a new treatment called Cipramil, I've had terrible side effects with venlafaxine so I had to stop it. I really hope to get back to normal soon 'cause its difficult to cope with being like this.
Take care.

Lottie32
02-12-03, 15:32
Ok Diana

Will post the details tonight / tomorrow.

Don't think it was very expensive, and only came from local bookshop.

Charlie

sarap
02-12-03, 15:38
Does anyone remember any dreams beforehand? I don't. Just wake up in a panic.

diana
02-12-03, 17:49
Thanks Charlie, will look for your post on this, and Sara I too like you do not dream just wake up in a panic. Not sure why????? Take care things will get better. I mean they have too right, feeling the way we do can not get any worse I hope!!!!!

Diana xxx

sarah
02-12-03, 17:49
Hi Sara

I dream really vivid dreams every night. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Have done for years so I dont associate it with the panic.

Sarah
xx

sadie
02-12-03, 20:37
Hi Sarah

I always remember my dreams and mine too are very vivid. Most of the time I dream good things but have had a few really real yet scary ones which have woke me up in such a panic.

I studied sleep and dreams as part of my university course. We all dream at night but there are different sleep stages and depending on when we wake up throughout these stages will determine if we remember our dreams (I think thats right, it was a few years ago I studied this)

sadie

twister
02-12-03, 21:13
I looked this up and apparently when you wake up with panic you are not waking from dream sleep but from a deep sleep which is when it occurs.

I also have very very vivid dreams, they are usually quite innocous but sometimes they are horrible. I dream things like my mum is telling me she doesn't love me and I am hysterically crying, or everyone at work says they dont want me thereand i am useless, things like that.

Get this though, when I was younger I used to dream someone was chasing me with a needle filled with the HIV virus!!!! Weird or what?[:0][:0]

Emily

sadie
02-12-03, 21:57
Heh Emily

that is definetly quite weird..you can find out what your dreams mean, I think there is a book which has different meanings for all kinds of dreams..I wonder what yours means.

I would hate to find out what some of my would actually mean. Although when I was younger I used to dream of spiders and snakes quite alot..that they were all over my bedroom floor and I couldnt get out. Apparently dreams of spiders means you need 'encouragement'. I did however recall a dream when I went to school with no clothes on!! I think enough said.

Take care

sadie

uryjm
02-12-03, 22:30
I sometimes wake at 3am or 4am into a kind of fugue state, half-way between being asleep and awake. This can make me anxious as things feel not "quite right" mentally. I can then escalate myself into a panic attack if I'm not careful. Best solutions have been to learn to relax and drift back off, or to get up and try to wake up completely before going back to bed. Recently I've consoled myself in the wee small hours with the thought that many of the people posting to this forum might be in the same state as I am, and I find that quite comforting.

Jim

diana
02-12-03, 22:48
Hiya Emily and Sadie,

Wow!!! you guys really do dream don`t you? I have also had a few very scary ones, one time about my son being killed, and another about one of my daughters dying. Like you said Emily I was hysterically crying. Even when I woke up my eyes were wet. The dream about the needle with the HIV virus is quite scary and (weird)!!!! I wonder what that means???? I also had a dream once that I was looking in the bathroom mirror and all of my teeth were falling out. That`s weird huh??? I`m not sure if we really want to know what these dreams mean. LOL.............. Funny Sadie about the going to school with no clothes. LOL........ That was either very liberating or very humiliating, funny!!!!

Diana xxx

diana
02-12-03, 22:51
Hiya Jim,

I also do the same thing, and how weird I also seem to wake between 3-4 am. That`s interesting I think!!!! I wonder what it is about 3-4 am? That is usually when I have had my worse anxiety/panic attacks. Weird ey????

Diana xxx

Meg
02-12-03, 23:18
A spiritual healer I worked with said that real night panics were to do with the subconcious trying to sort itself out.

Early on, a couple of clients only had night panics and apart from coping skills once they were startled awake I didn't have the answers for them as I've not had one so I referred them on to her. Both now are fine - without panic .Her explantations were subconcious stuff, one was to do with a twin dying at birth and another to do the Mum's attitude all their life and how this girl was singled out constantly.

They were not always associated with vivid dreams though when they were some analagies could be drawn but they didn't dream of the events themselves.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lottie32
03-12-03, 08:47
Diana

The tape I found useful is RELAXATION MADE EASY by Dr Glenn Harrold MBSCH Dip CH, 1997 by Diviniti Publishing.

He has what I think is a nice northern voice, I find a lot of tapes have therapists whose voices I find annoying.

He also doesn't play that awful dolphin music, which I found really disturbing after watching Orka - Killer Whale.

Ok, so Orka was a whale, and dolphins are different, but they still remind me of the noises the whales made when Orka was fished from the sea, gutted on the boat, and the baby whale fell out of her tummy!

Hardly anybody else seems to have seen this film, so haven't got a clue what I'm on about!

Charlie

diana
03-12-03, 15:18
Hey Charlie,

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to grab that tape up if I can find it. LOL...... I have seen Orka, I know what you are talking about. You are soooo funny!!!! I love your sense of humor!!!!! Hard to believe that you with your great sense of humor have this disorder. I have a "fear" of the deep blue sea, so I don`t think I want to hear anything that sounds like Whales or Dolphins. LOL....... I`m not sure why I have this fear, I can swim very well. Probably something I have "THINKED" myself into!!!! LOL............ You are a sweetie, take care. I will let you know if I get my hands on that tape.

Cheers,

Diana xxxx

sarap
03-12-03, 16:26
Thanks all for making me realise I'm not the only one going through this. What you explain Jim, is exactly what I'm doing. Thanks.

Meg, do you know what a spiritual healer would do?

Sara x

irenehester
03-12-03, 16:41
If the breathing/relaxation tapes don't work, how about exercise? Can be a little tricky in the middle of the night but it works - when you are panicky because of too much adrenaline you can use it up by employing 'fight' (exercise) as opposed to 'flight' (fear/panic. I find lying on my stomach really helps too - it makes me feel secure and helps me focus on breathing from my stomach rather than my diaphragm.
The exercise thing has really helped me in past weeks. Although agoraphobic I am dog-walking daily. The benefits include feeling breathless for a 'normal', understandable reason and the release of endorphins as well as feeling good psychologically because I am going out, albeit briefly and in places where I feel safe.
I used to be so panicky most of the time (for several years)and nights were terrifying. I do still suffer from insomnia at times but I am never frightened of bed-time anymore. There is no one solution and you may have to try several strategies (or combinations) before you find what works. It does get better!

Lottie32
03-12-03, 16:53
Jim

All our horses have foaled between 3am and 4am. It's got something to do with the natural body clock of the world, but when your up to your arms in (you really don't want to know), you don't really give it a thought. I'll try and find the article that explains why this time is important.

Charlie

Lilith
03-12-03, 18:13
quote:I sometimes wake at 3am or 4am into a kind of fugue state, half-way between being asleep and awake. This can make me anxious as things feel not "quite right" mentally.

Wow, Jim, I was happy to see that somebody else has this! This happens to me, too, and scares the heck out of me. It's just like you said, you don't feel quite right, mentally. I've gotten panicky trying to remember where I was, things like that. Now I have learned to say to myself "You're still half-asleep, you're not insane," which helps, but it's still scary.

As for panic attacks in the middle of the night, I have had them many times and they don't seem to be related to my dreams. I can have really vivid, intense, sometimes terrifying dreams, which wake me up feeling scared, but it's different from a panic attack.

diana
03-12-03, 22:12
Hey Charlie,

Interesting about the time ey??? I look forward to your post on this. You have such good information.

Take care dear,

Diana xxx

Lottie32
04-12-03, 08:53
Hi Diana

You'll love this. When I got home, I checked my foaling books, and they suggest that foals are born around 4am - SO THEY CAN RUN AWAY!!!!!

The theory is that if they are foaled about 4am, the night hunters will already be sated and not looking for another meal. And 4am is just before day break, to give the foal time to suckle (first hour v important so gets colosturm in milk from mare), and time to find feet. Then when day breaks and the daytime hunters come out, he is fit and ready to run!!!!

Mares always try to foal in a safe place, and need to be ready to move on the next day as they are grazing animals, and need to eat little and often.

Freud would have a field day. Maybe we are all waking up early because we are in a safe place (sleep) and want to run away from danger (being awake)!!!!!

So maybe thats what your bodies telling you you need to do if you wake up at 4am - RUN!

Suggest going to bed in a tracksuit though so you are ready prepared - an indecent exposure charge for going running in your baby doll is not going to make you feel better! (LOL)

Charlie

diana
04-12-03, 13:42
Hiya Charlie,

Very interesting!!!! Thanks as always for the priceless information. LOL........... That is all I would need after waking @ 4am in a panic, is going out in my jammies and getting an indecent exposure charge!!!!! Or worst yet running out with "nothing" on at all!!!! You are soooo funny. I just love your sense of humor, and your quick wit. Take care dear.

Cheers,

Diana xxx

nomorepanic
04-12-03, 20:38
I read this post last night and I want to complain to you all!! [:p]

I woke up at 3 am this morning - sob sob and I know it is cos I read this - lol

I usually wake up at 5am so now I got even less sleep.

Only kidding about being angry by the way - but I used to wake at 3-4 every day and then it shifted to 5 am and now look what has happened ;)

Nicola

uryjm
04-12-03, 21:38
Yes, I woke at 3am last night too, with panic hovering in the back of mind. I thought of all of us posting here, smiled ruefully, told myself "It won't kill you Jim", rolled over and fell back asleep. Fortunately I woke up this morning (it sometimes feels dangerous taunting your own anxiety.)

Jim

diana
04-12-03, 23:01
Nicola, sorry to hear you woke @ 3am. I know what you mean though, I have been reading some of these posts and actually start breathing funny, getting ready to go into panic mode. LOL..... :) Yea Jim I agree about taunting your own anxiety, then I start to thinking well what if this time is real and I really do die???? Just a little funny note, My grandmother had this saying when her children were not doing what she wanted them to do (eg. My dad was sleigh riding down a very steep hill with cars parked on both sides of the road) my grandmother knowing this was probably not a very safe thing to be doing, told him "Well if you wake up dead!!! don`t you come crying to me" I think that is just soooo d**n funny. So I start to thinking about that at times, with her no longer here , just in case that were to happen who would I go crying to???? LOL..... :( . I just thought I would share.

Thanks,

Diana xxx

sarap
05-12-03, 16:30
I'm really sorry if it's upset some of you talking about this. If it's any consolation, it's seems to have helped a lot people.

Sara x

nomorepanic
05-12-03, 16:45
Sara

It hasn't upset me, I just thought it was amusing that I woke up at 3am!! You will be pleased to know that last night I slept till 5 again - lol

Nicola

Meg
05-12-03, 17:02
Hi Sarap,

A spiritual healer fiddles with your aura, chakras and meridians mainly, under guidance from 'upstairs'. I went to one when I just didn't know where else to turn and she did 'something' for me and then I was able to take myself in hand and do the rest myself.

It's not for everyone and I'm still not sure what exactly she did do but she helped me see that chink of light and gave me the hope and belief that it would be ok.

She told me that it was due to all my recent bereavements that my aura was 'out' and 2 of my chakras were blocked and out of alignment. Interestingly, when I went to the USA a few months later my Dad had a healer come to the house and she kindly saw me too and she zoomed in on the one chakra left misaligned that my healer had been working on and spotted just that one immediately and told me exactly what I'd been told previously.

I'm not a believer in these things but I've recommended 3 other people to her and it's done each of them good too.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
05-12-03, 18:17
Hiya Sara,

It has`nt upset anyone, it`s just our overactive anxious selves working overtime. I mean I can watch a movie where someone is drowning or having a hard time breathing and immediately I feel the physical affects of drowning or having a hard time breathing. Go figure, also a big part of my problem :(. So don`t feel that you have upset anyone, keep posting, it helps those of us who can read or see something that we fear get over our fears too. We all help each other in more ways than we know. Keep ya chin up!!! :)

Diana xxx

Rennie1989
02-01-04, 19:38
I think this is normal. I woke up at 5 mins to midnight and I was slightly out of breath, my legs where cramped + my arms and stomach. I havent exsperianced it ever since. I hope this does not happen to you.

Jade

bananarbabe
02-01-04, 20:34
This is so nice to know I wasn't the only one having most of my panic attacks at night. One thing that has helped me is to distract myself by reading. It doesn't matter what, but if you have something boring (like an old textbook) it will help disract you and you'll probably get to sleep faster. I've been battling with this and now that I distract myself, I get back to sleep faster.

Chris

diana
02-01-04, 20:59
Good for you Chris. No you are definitely not alone, there are hundreds of us. So glad you found your way home (here). There is alot of help here and I am sure with your own experiences you can and will help someone else here. Keep posting, keep distracting yourself to avoid a full blown attack. Do whatever works for you dear. We are all here to support you no matter what.

Take care,

Diana xxx

uryjm
02-01-04, 23:42
Before I found this site, one of the hardest things was keeping anxiety in perspective. I had read the books, so I "knew" I wasn't alone, but at 3 in the morning it often really feels that way! Yes, I could get up, go and read a book or watch Sky TV but wouldn't that be a bit weird? "Normal" people wouldn't do that, would they? Maybe I was going over the edge, and perhaps if I got up to read then maybe next thing I'd be found a gibbering wreck in the street? I find it really comforting to know there are real people out there suffering from exactly the same symptoms I have, and that knowledge just calms me down in itself. So keep posting everyone!

Jim

Meg
02-01-04, 23:50
'' then maybe next thing I'd be found a gibbering wreck in the street?''

Hey Jim,

I was going to be the only one this ever happened to..!! I even had my speech planned to the boys in white and the neighbours - didn't ever consider thet if I was the GW I might not recall the planned speech. I was telling Sadie on the phone earlier that I also planned the entire sequnce of events of what would transpire when I fainted in lane 3 of the M6- down to the traffic reports.

Neither happened or even anything remotely like it - for which I'm entirely grateful though - and now I don't even get the wobbles .

Meg

Buby
03-01-04, 00:25
To Meg.
I was reading your post about the Spiritual Healer and i was wondering does she cure people of they're panics or does she just figure out what people started to panic about.

Where abouts does she live? because i would like to try her maybe, if she still does the healing. ive had my panic attacks for 10 years and i am only 14. i find it really hard to do things with my friends and family. I so want to get better and i have seen lots of hypnotherapists and counsellors, but none of them has worked so far and i would try anything to help me.

Im trying to work out if my panic attacks have got worse because of the nighmares ive had lately. I was shot in one and died ( of course ) i was confronted by a ghost in another and wasps and others insects stinging me and not forgeting being held outside MacDonalds my a gunman with me sister. They all really scared me especially the one where i died.

please post back some details, as soon as possible. Thankyou.

Ratchit aka Rachel

diana
03-01-04, 02:54
Hiya Rachel,

Sorry to hear of your attacks. WOW!!! you have had them for 10 years and you are only 14 ey. What a childhood you have had. :( I know these attacks are terrible on us adults, I can not imagine for 10 years at your very young age. My heart goes out to you sweetie. I`m not sure of any Spiritual Healer, I just wanted to post and acknowledge your reaching out for help. I know how you feel I think? :(, I mean as I know how these attacks can go. It is very hard, and everyone is looking for a cure of some sort. Have you tried any herbs or supplements? I don`t want to suggest anything because of your age, but I know Meg or Nicola may have some suggestions for you. Have you tried any techniques to bring yourself down from an attack? There are loads of suggestions and techniques you can try to help for now, like controlling your breathing, distraction, and anything else you can think of. Just go to the "COPING" page, and you will get something there you can use for now. Good Luck sweetie. Keep us posted as to how you are doing, and if you have found anything on the coping page you could use.

Take care,

Diana xoxoxo

Rennie1989
03-01-04, 11:58
Ratchit

Hiya its Jade. I dont thibk spirital healing works. One of my m8s had spirital healing for something and it didnt work.

Jade[:p]

benoo5
03-01-04, 16:18
never write off spiritual healing,ive seen too many unexplained things happen,in my life,which i dont put down to coincidence..there are people in this world,that have been given the gift of healing,some,never use that gift,but others recognise,that wot they have can be used,to help others...i have written,a few times,about a lady called,bette shine...yes,she made a good living out of healing,specially celebrities,but she also helped hundreds of people,by using distant healing,completely free of charge...so, all ime saying,is be open minded,think good of everyone,and everything,until you personally can prove it wrong...best wishes..bryan.

kate
03-01-04, 16:46
Perhaps the spiritual healing is like the placebo drug, if you believe enough that it will help you then it indeed will?

Kate x

rick
03-01-04, 16:57
Hi all

Just an interesting thought... I must say I agree wholeheartedly with bryan. Us older codgers (sorry, bryan:))who have been around the block a few times have all been around folks or known of those who have a gift. I don't believe its religion, ethnic or whatever specific, its just a gift that some are born with - and its been my experice that, people with special gifts, be it healing, insight, or even with feelings of great charity (and deep pockets), those who really have these gifts are those who are quiet, humble, and do not seek the limelight.

As a gneral rule, if they spend all their time on the tube promoting themselves, then take it with the poverbial grain of salt. You'll know the real ones. Trust me.

Rick

rick
03-01-04, 17:27
In addition...:)

As far as healing (or whatever), It's my personal feeling that it takes a certain amount of faith in whatever it is you're doing.

Granted, there are those who have taken a placebo for something or other and been cured because they THOUGHT they were supposed to be cured. Sure, this can happen. The body is a marvelous machine, and sometimes, it IS just a matter of telling it to do the right thing -

In other words, what happens when your computer hangs up and won't do a thing? As far as the computer is concerned, it is terminally ill. It has been overwhelmed with more problems and errors than it can handle, so it just Freezes up - says, that's it, I can't take it any more, I'm done. (Computer Panic Attack, in other words)

So what do we do with the computer? Simply reboot. The computer shuts its eyes, belches, gets rid of the swirling thoughts in its memory and comes back fresh, ready to go. The reboot process could be considered a Placebo. Its generic, simple, painless and really doesn't DO anything, but it works.

On the other hand, There are those of us I'm sure who have been around folks that have been given medications and such who are so convinced that they arent going to work, that they don't. Perhaps even some of us have done that. I have.

Doesn't matter how strong or powerful they are, if one chooses to ignore the healing properties of whatever you are trying to use or be a part of, be it God, a spiritual person of whatever belief, a book, medicine, or the little old lady in white tennis shoes on the street corner proclaiming the end is near, or whatever, it ain't gonna happen.

It's not that you have to have an ironclad belief in whatever it is - Its just that one needs to keep an open mind and think, instead of, "There's not a snowballs chance in hell that this will work", to "Well, you never know, it just might, maybe just might work for me."

Who knows, it just might!

Hope this all made sense.

Love you all

Rick

kate
03-01-04, 17:43
Rick,

At what age is one deemed to be an old codger, cos I am a bit worried about this now, as Bryan is only 3 years older than me........ hehe

Kate x

sadie
03-01-04, 17:45
Hi Rick,

I know what you mean...I also think the the MIND is such a powerful thing and it has a large part as to why we all feel the way we do when we suffer a Panic attack.

It is out minds that tell us that the chest pains could be a heart attack, or dizziness is a brain tumour or tingling in the mouth to be a stroke....the list could go on and on. Therefore if we tell our brains when we experience these symptoms that it is just muscle tension or over breathing etc then surely these sensations will too disappear..

It has taken me 3 yrs to suddenly realise the role my mind actually plays on why I still suffer anxiety and PA. I also think changing the thoughts is the hardest thing to change..the thoughts I have seem to be embedded in my brain now but I will change them..as I now know they can be changed, it just takes a lot of time and effort.

I too have visited a Spiritual healer a few years back and I too was a bit sceptical. However, although I was not cured of my anxiety, I did feel a lot more calmer when I came out after the session. I only had 2 sessions but they were nice experiences...I think it has similarities to reiki.

We all have our own belief systems and I believe we should always keep an open mind..you never know what could happen and what could help!!

Take care

sadie

benoo5
03-01-04, 18:07
hi kate,

well,ive always said,people say,that i look like josh,from casualty,so i am a bit of an old codger,specially now,that nurses seem to look younger ,every year,and i look older.

however,ive been lucky enough to have seen your pic,and you still look young,and beautiful...that reminds me,ive got to go to specsavers lol (joke)...best wishes...the old codger...bryan.

rick
03-01-04, 18:09
An old codger is anyone who, while watching any sort of athletic, dance or other acivity, says, "Jeez, I wish could do that..." or, while rubbing on old scars or deep, chronic aches and pains from abused bone joints or whatever, sigh and say, "Boy, if I'd have known then what I know now.."

Plus, having more hair in the shower drain than on your head is a good sign (for guys only, hopefully).

Love y'all

Rick

rick
03-01-04, 18:21
Bryan-

Hope I haven't given the wrong impression.... Over here, an old codger is someone who has seen a bit in his life, is wise and sage, and who imparts gems of wisdom is his folksy homegrown sincere, way.

Plus, over here, you need a corncob pipe, moth eaten straw hat, and big chaw of tobackky, and a knowledge of every line from the movie "Deliverance".

I guess I'm only a semi-codger. Don't smoke or chew, but i DO have the motheaten straw hat.

I cn also play the guitar part of "dueling banjos" whie sitting on the front porch here at the house.

Hmmm, scary!!!

Rick:D

kate
03-01-04, 18:36
Awww Bryan,

You know how to make an old gal feel good! LOL

Kate x

benoo5
03-01-04, 19:56
no problem rick,

your post made me laugh,your a good fella,

you are right in a way,as ive seen the good,bad,and ugly things in life...best wishes..bryan.

nomorepanic
03-01-04, 22:19
Jade

There is a whole thread about spiritual healing that you could read - let me just find it ....

Nicola

nomorepanic
03-01-04, 22:26
Ok look under General Anxiety and "out of body experience".

Some good stuff in there

Nicola

bananarbabe
06-01-04, 10:45
Hi,

It's now 2:45 AM where I live. I can't go to sleep because earlier I had some heart palipations and chest pains. I tried deep breathing and reading my self-help book but I'm still terrified about going to sleep right now. I'm watching some late night television which is boring me but not even close to putting me to sleep. I found out earlier today that my Grandma had trouble with anxiety when she was younger. This kinda provided a "relief" for me but then I also found out that my cousin has a heart problem (not sure exactly what it is) but it involves having a really high pulse and him having to avoid any strenous activity. I'm terrified as I have been having trouble with high heart rates and palipations and this news just terrified me!

Chris

diana
06-01-04, 13:22
Chris,

I do hope you were able to get some down time today. I know you are worried, but don`t worry about things that have`nt been confirmed for you that is. Interesting finding out your grandma had issues with anxiety when she was younger. Does she now not have any bouts with anxiety? If not, then you have that as a positive note. Then you know these won`t last forever, and they won`t. On the other hand as far as the palpitations, and chest pain. You definitely should be examined for any heart problem. Then atleast you`ll know if there is anything to really worry about. As you know those symptoms are also very common with anxiety/panic. Of course I know you getting the information about your cousin does`nt make you feel very confident of that, is just exactly why I suggest getting an exam. Do keep posting to let us know how you are getting along. Let us know if you get an exam, and what the outcome is, though I`m sure you will be fine. Take care dear, get some rest if you can.

Diana xxxx

Buby
06-01-04, 21:52
hi chris, i am a bit like you. i worry if i find something out in the family that i didnt know and could be dangerous, like, my grandad had cancer, i dont know what type, and ive had headaches for nearly 2 months on and off. and it really scared me that i might have cancer.
i also have trouble going to bed i dont go to bed till i feel ready and thats normally past 3am. but my fear of going to bed is increasing rapidly. and about that heart pains. i have them when i panic, i put it down to being tense and stiff.
keep posting.
rachel aka ratchit.

bananarbabe
07-01-04, 03:06
Hi Everyone,

I managed to go to bed around 5AM this morning. I ended up reading and then going though these children's trivia flash cards before going to bed. I woke up at 10AM this morning to a bunch of snow (we had a snowstorm during the 4 hours of sleep I got last night.) I feel a lot better than I did yesterday.

Although, I did try to take a nap earlier, I had another one of those episodes where it feels like your heart skipped a beat. I got up and went a took a warm shower and despite my heart rate being around 110 I feel a lot better right now.

I go back to school this Thursday and have an appointment with my doctor and psychologist once I get back. I'm a little worried about what might be going on with me but I need to know.

Chris

Lauren
07-01-04, 10:24
Hey Sarah
The reason why i found this site is because of my night panic.. ive been having panic attacks for years but never anything i felt like a night panic..I remember some of my dreams and they usually upset me, but the reson why i feel so weird is because of the feeling of memory loss and not knowing if you are awake or dreaming, i think you kind of still in a state of sleep but are aware a little more..and this feeling is VERY strange...
I use a relaxtion technique which ive posted in Panic under Lauren and what i do to get over it. have a read and see if it helps
Take care,
Lauren..

diana
07-01-04, 14:28
Hiya Chris,

Glad to hear you got some rest. Good luck on your visits to the doctor and psych. Let us know what your findings are. I think you will be fine though. We are here for you, so keep posting to let us know how you are getting on with things. Where are you located, that you had a snow storm? If you don`t mind my asking. We had a little too, but none of it stuck to the ground. Just pretty coming down. Take care, and remember to let us know how you are doing.

Diana xxx

bananarbabe
07-01-04, 17:54
I'm in Seattle, in the U.S. I'm flying back to Chicago for school tomorrow.

diana
07-01-04, 18:53
Oh okay, I am in Maryland U.S. We had a bit of snow like I mentioned but nothing stuck on the ground. Keep posting to let us know how you are doing. I hope you continue to get your much needed rest. Good luck on getting back to your studies.

Diana xxxx