PDA

View Full Version : advice needed on 'stuck' high heart rate

Captain America
02-10-08, 18:06
hi everyone.

i've seen this on here before so i know i'm not alone. it's where your heart rate stays really high for hours, not so much a full panic attack. like for me, about 12 hours of racing heart and not being able to do much other than lie there.

then, after a certain amount of time, my heart rate starts falling and i know that within the hour i'll be normal again. it's just really scary while it's happening since it lasts so long.

seems to me to happen after i've spent a long time being active, not even like exercising a lot but just being 'on the go'. it's like when my heart rate is elevated for a long time it just takes forever to go back down again.

does anyone get this, and if so is there anything you can do to get out of the long term high heart rate thing? i've been to emergency while going through this twice and neither time did my heart seem to be the cause. it's just sinus tachycardia, with normal everything else.

thanks in advance for any help!!!

Dazza
02-10-08, 18:16
Hi.

When this happens, did you measure your pulse? What was the BPM?

I've often felt like my heart was really racing (due to palpitations), when I've actually checked my pulse, it has only been about 85bpm. my heart is normally around 60-65bpm. The normal range is about 60-100bpm at rest (some people have 'at rest pulses slightly lower than this), so in both cases my pusle was fine, even though when it was at 85pm it really felt like it was racing... I think we are just really sensitive to what our hearts are doing (maybe due to unconsiously constricting our chests due to tension and hyperventilating).

CONS
02-10-08, 18:20
Sounds to me like continual anxiety, the reason i say that is my first panic attack lasted 2 hours to which i was informed was multiple panic attacks back to back, due to the high heart rate i lost sensation in my fingertips up to my elbows.

My bpm was 160 (dont quote me this was awhile ago) and i believe 20 more beats per minute would of been a heart attack.

Enough of the negativity, get your blood pressure checked out and explain this to your GP. My heart rate doubles when i walk to the end of the street and im 30 yrs old and a comfortable weight.

Sounds like social anxiety or general anxiety to me, but hey im no doctor,

good luck

CONS

Captain America
02-10-08, 18:54
thanks

at my house my heart rate was in the 130's, and blood pressure was 160/100. my normal heart rate/blood pressure is 82, 120/80.

by the time they hooked me up to an ekg, my heart rate was 114, and my blood pressure was around 150/90. after a 1/2 hour or so, even lower.

i've had all the heart tests, including an echo stress test. i guess i just don't get why i get 'stuck' there for so long!

the blood pressure goes down pretty quickly, but the high heart rate stays. it's a horrible feeling.

Dazza
02-10-08, 18:58
Yes, I really do sympathise. It is a horrible feeling, as you have not control over it sometimes... sometimes breathing excersises do not seem to slow it.

Most of my anxiety over the past 4 months has been heart related. I'm currently going through more tests and waiting to see the cardiologist next week. Fingers crossed.

My doctor thinks that I shouldn't even be on heart meds...so hopefully I will be off those soon.

Captain America
02-10-08, 20:31
i was told beta blockers can help with the tachycardia, but i'm afraid to go on them. espcially since my heart rate and bp are so normal most of the time.

i'm just confused. was hoping more people here would know what this is, or what to do about it.

my sister has anxiety too and aside from when she has a panic attack she doesn't get this, which makes me think there's something wrong with me. if there is, they can't find it!!!

keepemlaughing
02-10-08, 21:09
My heart rate excellerates if I am very anxious. I just try to calm down and think about something else, which i know is not easy. or i will get into a good movie or documentary that makes me have to think. Hope you feel better soon.
Blessings,
Sheryl