PDA

View Full Version : Oh The Joy of Success.....

dianes
02-10-08, 19:52
Hi Everyone:)

I am writing this post in the hope that it will help who ever reads it to know that even though you might suffer with sever anx/panic and agoraphobia like I do things DO and WILL get better providing you keep believing that YES you can and WILL DO IT. I hope this post doesn't come over as bragging, as I really don't mean it too... If it gives hope to one person who is suffering with anx and feeling that they will never get there then it will be worth it:yesyes:

One of my biggest fears is travelling as a passenger anywhere by car. I have always been a bad passenger, but since my breakdown 3yrs ago it has got decidedly worse:ohmy: Our daughter gave birth to our 5th grandson 5wks ago. The night before her scheduled ceaserian she was panicking dreadfiully about the birth and I spent 2hrs trying to calm her down. She went into labour in the early hrs and had to have an emergency ceasarian on the Friday. When I spoke to her on the phone she said I had really helped her that night and not to worry about not being able to visit her in hospital. I knew after encouraging her the previous night to conquer her fear, that I would now have to conquer mine. I asked our son to drive my hubby and I to the hospital to visit her. That way I would have hubby in the back with me to give me support on the journey. I had been practising feeling the fear and letting the symptoms wash over me and accepting them instead of fighting them and it work this time as well:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

2wks ago, I stayed ON MY OWN with our dog, while hubby went up north for 5 days to visit his family:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

As I sit here typing this, I have just managed to conquer another fear. On Monday I travelled by car with our son driving and hubby and I sitting in the back to our daughters, stayed with her ON MY OWN and looked after her, our new grandson and her two eldest grandsons for the past two days while Frank our s.i.l returned to work. I did panick badly being away from the house and sleeping there, but I managed it. I haven't been able to do this for the past 3yrs.:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: My next big challenge is to return to look after Shiobhan and the 'boys' while Frank goes away on Sunday to Geneva for a week. He is then booked to go away the following week for two days and the week after for another full week. I will let you all know how I get on. I would urge anyone suffering with panic reading this to please never give up believing that you will be able to do it. I was housebound 3yrs ago and panicked at anything, look how far I have come now..You will too.

Sorry for the long post.

:hugs: :hugs: to you all.

Diane
'Remember, your imagination is always much worse than the reality'

diane07
02-10-08, 20:05
Aww diane,

What wonderful news,
I like you, have just started overcoming my fear of journeys in the car.
Isn't it an amazing feeling.
You just have to keep making yourself go, and making yourself believe, no matter how hard you think it will be, it never really is.

I am so happy for you because i feel the same achievment that you do now, nobody should ever give up, just keep fighting the fear.

Lovely post and best wishes to you, keep us posted on how it goes.

A huge well done

di xx

Anna C
02-10-08, 20:31
Hi Diane,

Well done again!
You really are doing brilliantly, I love hearing about all your successes.
You have achieved so much!!:yesyes:

Anna xx :hugs:

keepemlaughing
02-10-08, 20:52
What an inspirational post! Congratulations to you. Keep up the good work.
Blessings,
Sheryl

Dazza
02-10-08, 20:54
Please don't apologise for the long post.... I LOVE reading these success stories. I'm sure that I'm not alone in that respect!

Well done, and keep it up!! :hugs:

lostsoul
02-10-08, 21:54
An inspirational post - well done its hard but your right the reality of the fear never is really as bad as you think its going to be.

Keep us all posted on the progress its good to hear of someone making positive progress.

X

dianes
03-10-08, 19:09
Thanks for your replies guys:yesyes: Yes, Di, I am enjoying the thrill that comes with each achievement. I know I will never be one who actually enjoys travelling by car, but being able to sit still without screaming 'I have to get out!' while frantically trying to open the door....does help.

12yrs ago I was lucky enough to be accepted on a 4wk live-in pain management course at St. Thomas' hospital. It was designed to teach you how to live with chronic pain without being constantly zonked out with opiates. The knowledge I gained there gave me the means to be able to live and enjoy my life instead of just existing while being constantly depressed and bedridden.

Over the past 3yrs I have been able to once again gain the knowledge that I have needed to be able to live my life with anxiety and panic disorder and I am pleased to tell you that I am getting there.:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes: And so will you all, it just takes time for you to learn to believe in yourself once more and to not be afraid of all the many physical symptoms you experience when you panic.:yesyes: I am once again enjoying my life on my new journey.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: to all.

Diane
'Remember, your imagination is always much worse than the reality'

Piglet
03-10-08, 19:19
What a super post and what a 'superwoman'!!!:hugs:

Good on ya hun! :yesyes:

Piglet :flowers: