PDA

View Full Version : Starting work after 3 years off

Keep going
03-10-08, 12:09
Hi, recently i have started looking for a new job after 3 years off with social anxiety and panic attacks. Before this time, i was a very qualified/experienced engineer. So i have started applying showing what qualifications/experience i have.

I know i can not enter at the level i was previously at, i have applied for low level technician jobs. But it seems that the 3 years of non working has made all i've done in the past irrelevent, even when applying for low level jobs. Seems to become a disadvantage now. Any body else experienced this. anybody got a words of advice help me in a direction to some employment??

Stu:)

sandramick
03-10-08, 16:15
well done for even thimking of going back :yesyes:
maybe going back at a lower level will be less stressful for u to start with u can work yourself back up as u get stronger . good luck xx
sandraxx

keepemlaughing
03-10-08, 16:48
Congrats on going back. I had a huge gap in my employment record as well. I don't know how but the college I now work at overlooked it and took me in based on my experience but I feel fortunate that they did. It is good that you are trying, good luck.
Blessings,
Sheryl

vti2007
03-10-08, 17:31
Hi keep Going,

I am also an engineer, currently just gone back to work after 6 months off - Can I ask what field you work in? It sounds from the terminology you use you might work in the same field as me :)

PM me if you don't want it public knowledge.

titchjd
03-10-08, 19:40
Congratulations on the step 2 going back 2 work .

Keep looking and dont give up.Go 2 Job centres , look in local newspapers etc .....have u had an interview with the job centre ? They can find all the jobs suitable for you .
Do you have any friends in the same field who could tell u if any jobs are coming up .

I wish you all the best and well done for making such a huge decision x:yesyes:

Titchjd x