PDA

View Full Version : any books to help children?

jjwhitehouse
03-10-08, 20:11
hi, one of my 6 yr old twin boys suffers with anxiety which lasts about 4 months at a time with maybe a month in between. he worries about dying and us dying the most, about leaving the house without us about anything that might make him ill...he cries when he gets to school and he can't explain why...i don't think he really knows why i just think he can't help it! he panics when he has to go down a big flight of stairs and he has rituals like an order of specific teddies and an exact amount of fringing on his comforter etc, he is supposed to have an appointment with CAMHS but it hasn't come through, does anyone know of any good books to help young children with anxiety?
i suffer with anxiety although i can control it and my mum suffer much more!
thanks

ladybird64
03-10-08, 20:35
Hi jj and welcome to the forum. :)

I'm afraid I can't help with any suggestions for books but I hope you don't mind me asking something?

Obviously it isn't uncommon for kiddies to get upset when they arrive at school but does he calm down after you have left? Have the school mentioned that he seems unusually anxious during the day?

jjwhitehouse
03-10-08, 20:39
he seems to keep it to himself at school...i think the embarrassment is something he doesn't want but i can always predict that his behaviour will take a bit of a dive at school when he flares up

ladybird64
03-10-08, 20:47
Ok. I definitely suggest chasing up the CAMHS team if you have a direct number to contact them on, sometimes they need a gentle reminder that you still exist! :winks:

I have had a quick nose on the net, there is a site called worrywisekids.org. they seem to have books that might be suitable. failing that one, try typing in "books for children with anxiety" into the serach engine, there are loads of sites.

Good luck :)

ladybird64
03-10-08, 20:47
oop-s..didn't see you there Cathy, sorry! :blush:

Tomimo
03-10-08, 21:08
Hello,

Last year my son (7) went through a terrible anxious phase when he worried about dying. He had nightmares and often asked very difficult questions - he obviously though very deeply about it....things like "if I die will I be able to see in heaven because you die with your eyes closed?" and "how do you know I'll get sent to the same part of heaven as you?".

I found it really hard and was referred to PCAHMS who never got back to me.....eventually someone suggested a 'worry doll/person' and I thought it was worth a try. I have to say it has really helped. It is very tiny so he can carry it around or put it under his pillow (although he rarely does this now). He can tell it his worries and it will look after them. I was sceptical but very pleased with the results and for £4 it was a bargain.

I hope you get it sorted - I know how hard it is to see your little one so scared.

Annie x

jjwhitehouse
04-10-08, 14:06
have looked on th worywise kids site briefly and it looks quite good...have already found one book which seems to be what i'm after, although i did notice that it was in USA so i'll have a look if it's available over here too! thanks:D

alexis
04-10-08, 23:42
I would be chasing up the professional people,get a proper diagnosis and Im sure they will be able to advise you on what books to get too.
xxxxx