PDA

View Full Version : Second CBT appointment!!

jellybean43
04-10-08, 10:27
Hi
I had my second CBT appt yesterday and dont know what i really think of it!!It left me totally exhausted. I am going about my HA and last week we did a general pic of my life etc---this week it was about my relationship with my parents, ex husband(who was violent and that ended 15 years ago) and my thoughts on my hubbie. He asked me if i could tell him about how my ex made me feel etc---with his controlling ways!! Very very tiring and yesterday it left me in a really bad depressive mood as i felt i had talked about stuff that i havent mentioned to anyone apart from my OH who tells me the past is the past. I cant put the past to rest so maybe this will help.
Next week we are going to do more about my HA.
Today, however, I do somehow feel a lot better and feel i want to continue with it.
Can anyone shed some light as to how it made them feel??
The counsellor however is very nice and I do feel at ease with him but just felt sooooo tired yesterday after it all!!
Thanks xx

CONS
04-10-08, 10:50
jellybean im currently on a waiting list for CBT and some group therapies but from my past experience with psychiatrists and psychologists they have always left me feeling exhausted.

TBH im sick of tired of saying the same things to numerous people as my list of contributing factors is plentifull as well as painfull.

Nobody i have spoken too or read posts from has ever said CBT was not working or not for them, so keep up the good work now the majority of the gut spilling has been done.

Keep on trucking,

CONS

RosieXXX
04-10-08, 16:50
Hi Jellybean,

It can be an emotional strain going through past traumatic events which have been put aside, but I think it is an essential part of the therapy. The therapist has to know about our history, and also guage how we react to these past events and how they may be effecting our present thinking.

I found CBT difficult at times; especially when it set me off thinking about things which could be uncomfortable. I did find it useful though, and as I built up a relationship with the therapist it became easier for me to open up and explore the way I felt about things.

I really think you will benefit, and I am sure you will find it worthwhile continuing with it.