PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Bonjourno
29-05-05, 15:37
I'll just introduce myself quickly....im 20, and have had panic attacks in the last 4-5 years of my life. They are situation specific, largely in the capacity of giving a presentation/speech - ive had anxiety but its panic attacks that are my problem - being out of breath, shaking, feeling exhausted after it. I'm not depressed, touch wood, but was for a 10 week period before xmas, due to a medication i was put on for my skin...i was taken off that but for 10 weeks i was a disaster - felt dirty, grubby, tired - ocd in some form or other - thankfully took myself off that drug and im fine now! I am a user of propranol, which helps tremendously, otherwise i would frankly be a mess.

Bonjourno
29-05-05, 15:42
so i have anxiety in most social situations, but in cases where im giving a presentation, or are in a confined room or arena, in view of many, i struggle in quite a big way. An example, pretty perverse i know, would be in a church (i go twice a year to make my family happy)walking up to get communion and back down again - being in full view is a horrible prospect for me. So im scared in circumstances, i have fear with anticipation and the event itself...im a happy go-lucky bloke on the whole, but if there are any offerings of advice, sharing experiences of panic in such situations, particularly presentation-giving, that'd be great. Cool.

Incii
29-05-05, 15:42
Hi and welcome ;o)
I'm sure you will find loads of help and make good friends here

Take care
Sharon xxxxx

seh1980
29-05-05, 16:34
Welcome!! I hope we can offer you some good support here. :D

florence
29-05-05, 18:05
Hi Bonjourno

Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll get lots of advices here, I am sure you'll meet people with similar experiences.

Take care.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

VaL 1975
29-05-05, 18:48
Hello Bonjourno,

I know exactly how you feel for that I will tell you not to feel alone. There are a lot of us out there with panic attacks. Some are used to them some like me still experience them but no longer with fear. Short summary of my attacks: Chest pains, thought I was going to die of a heart attack. Left arm numbness and as if ants were crwling up my legs. All of these are part of the panic.

A good tip that I can give you is this, go to a doctor (took 3 different opinions for me) get a complete check up. Everytime the attack comes down backtrack and see what caused it. Like me, it was the fear of a heart attack so I went to a cardiologist. and knowing that I was healthy that took away the panic. Why don't you try doing this yourself.

VaL

VG Rivera

tracyp584
29-05-05, 18:54
Hey Bonjourno,

Welcome to the site! You will find lots of support and advice here!

Take care,

tracy x x

pinkscrumpy
29-05-05, 19:36
Hi Bnjourno [^]

Welcome aboard. Hope we can help[:P]

MANDIE XX

Karen
29-05-05, 22:13
Hi Bonjourno

Welcome to the forum. I experience anxiety and panic in social situations too due to social phobia.

Hope we can be of some help to you.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

sal
30-05-05, 02:02
Hi Bon great to see you have joined the site.

From reading your post you should be proud of how you handle it.

Crowds and confined spaces but you still confront them.

That is a big well done hun.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

nomorepanic
30-05-05, 16:53
Hello Bonjourno

Good to see you on the forum and I hope we can be of some help to you.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Meg
31-05-05, 12:22
Bonjourno,

Social phobia and lthe inked presentation fear are mostly as a result of being overly concerned of how people will view, react, comment and judge you on xyz.

You need to strive to increase your own sense of worthiness and self value first of all and then over time progress to recognising that we humans do judge very easily but that actually what is whispered is of little or no importance and you have as much right as the next person to be in that space.

Presenting - once you're happy with who you are a bit more and comfortable with your subject , its gets easier to get up and speil it out. I don't think the sudden fears of 'what if my zips undone' ever completely leaves you or any presenter - just some get so used to it - they don't care anymore.

You can always tell a rep who isn't comfortable with their product - they're still on edge despite usually presenting very well. First sign of a not - so- squeaky- clean drug is an edgy sales force.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...