PDA

View Full Version : Just had another attack

Dazza
04-10-08, 15:09
I know that I cannot write here everytime I have one, but I'd been doing well over the past week or so...

Then this afternoon I've had another 'attack'...it felt like a heart attacks. I'd just been up into the loft to get a box out, then a minute or so after i came back down, I felt a bit short of breath... then i started to get the numbness and tingling in my whole left arm then squeezing in my chest, felt hot and knots in my stomch and diaphram area... get dizzy...

It came and went over about 10 minutes or so.. just coming down from it now after about 20 minute of it starting. It has really upset me, as I haven't had one this strong for a while... my face is still tingling.

It's really upset me, as it has made me think of heart attacks again. :weep:

I just need to try to relax now.

Anna C
04-10-08, 16:51
Hi Darren,

You can write here every time you have a panic attack, if it helps.
Could your shortness of breath have been because you were moving boxes, which made you feel a bit breathless and you worried and thought what if I'm having a heart attack which then made you panic, and experience all the other symptoms.
I could be completely wrong, but I know if I'm outside and I feel hot it makes me think of panicking, I think what if I panic, what if I look stupid, which normally makes me panic!

I hope you are feeling a bit more relaxed now, I know it can makes you feel all shaky and worn out!
It sounds like you have been doing really well if you haven't had any attacks for awhile, so well done! Don't be hard on yourself and I really hope you are feeling okay now.

Anna x

Dazza
04-10-08, 16:59
Hi Anna,

Thank you for your message.

i think you might be right, maybe subconsciously my 'trigger' was being out of breath when I got back down from the loft.

I'm feeling quite a bit better now, my physical symptoms have subsided mostly, but still got tingling in my face (even after a couple or hours).

I've only got another week to wait before i see the cardiologist about my test results (which the technicians told me all looked normal). This little set back has made me worried that they have missed something like angina... but I've had a CT and MRI scan, so i'm pretty sure they would have picked up anything like that then?!

you are right, i mustn't let a small set back make me feel hopepless...it's funny, it's the exact advice that I give to people here all the time, but when you are in panic, logic goes out of the window.

Thanks again for your support. :hugs:

titch
04-10-08, 16:59
i totally agree you can post here everytime you have an attack if need be and you feel it helps hun.....try to occupy your mind hun hard to do when you get nasty thoughts but just try....good luck..... xxxx

Veronica H
04-10-08, 19:26
Hi Dazza
I know how you are feeling as I had one myself this week after having a while without them. Try not to let the negative thoughts engulf you though. We are not back at square one, but we still have a way to go!

Veronica

kenboon
04-10-08, 19:46
Lo Dazza
Do you know how to control your breathing? as the symptoms your descibing are from hyperventerlating or short breathing. I used to get really bad chest pains and numbness as well. I was sure it was something more sinister like heart problems as well as most of my pain was around the heart area. I know its easeier said than done but try not to worry mate as thats probably one of the main symptoms most experience.
Have you read the symptoms page? It goes in depth into why the symptoms occur, it may help you to understand a little more whats going on and why.
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms

All the best

Ken

Dazza
04-10-08, 20:26
Hi all,

Thanks for your support...your lovely messages brought a tear to my eye.

Ken - yep, I do try to control my breathing with the diaphragmatic breathing...i also tried breathing into a paper bag today.

It's reassuring to know that you got pains where the heart is, and that you feel it's all down to muscles straining.

Veronica - yes, you are right, should not let this setback get me down. It's funny how i give that advice all the time, but whe you are caught in the middle of aftermath of an attack (when you hven't had one for a while) it's easy to forget to apply the same advice to yourself.

I did calm down this evening, then had another attack I think... felt nauseous, rushes, pressure in head and a sense of impending doom / death. I've come back to the computer as I've now found that this website had become a crutch for me.

Thanks again for your support and advice.

LeeBee
04-10-08, 21:52
Just wanted to let you know that we're thinking of you, Darren... I think "setbacks" are just a natural part of the recovery process. Two steps forward, one back. You'll get there. :flowers:

You give such fantastic advice and support to others on here. You're a credit to the site and we really appreciate you.

kenboon
04-10-08, 22:29
Daz, Please have a good look at that symptoms page mate. It does cover alot that you have been experiencing IE irregular heart beat ect.Last time i was on a heart monitor my heart skipped a beat a couple of times and it had the sound on so i heard it doing so, which in turn sent me in to a panic frenzy.
I'll be honest, i really had never heard of this anxiety disorder before i started suffering. And it took me a good while, including numerous tests trips to drs hospitals ect to accept that the overwhelming symptoms i was experiencing where down to anxiety. I think until you know 100% that your ok in your general heath though, your always going to have doubts simply because of the intensity of it. That symptom page helped me alot on understanding why certain symptoms occur and made me realise that it was all anxiety related, i then in turn decided to fight back as i really couldnt get any lower in my mood. Its not easy, it really isnt but i think for you personally, you need to wait for your test results to come back simply for peice of mind before you can begin to start fighting back. I'm sure you will be fine when your results come back, and lets face it thats bound to make you anxious too until you know for sure whats going on. So try not to be to discouraged if you do have a panic attack or your finding it quite hard at times. You will get there and i'm sure this forums will help you a hell of alot as it has so many others.

All the best

Ken

Dazza
04-10-08, 22:47
Hi Ken,

Thank so much for your message. :)

It's a bit frustrating, as i was discussing with another member just a few moments ago....I've read lots of stuff about symptoms (the info on this site is great), but for some reason it's not sinking in. Like you say, until I've had the 'all clear' from the cardiologist, then I'm going to still worry.

todays' worry was that I'd got angina, and in my head, the next logical step would be a heart attack. I though this as i was getting some shooting pains in my left arm also. But, logically, having had a CT scan and an MRI scan two months ago, angina would have been easily picked up then, but it wasn't.

I SO want to believe that my heart is fine, I really do. My only hope is that when the cardiologist give me the all clear next week, I (or my subconsious) will FINALLY ACCEPT IT, or at least I will have to work on accepting that it's all anxiety and most symptoms are enduced by hyperventilating.

I've got to say (now that I'm not in panic mode like this avo) I've done s**t load of stuff recently to try to get better: reading self help books, coming here, swimming regularly, taking up yoga, had counselling, got CBT / hypnotherapy coming up on Tuesday.. and I can really feel progress compared to where I was a month ago (I felt like i was on the verge of having a nervous breakdown). I've just got to keep it up... but also wanted to say...

You folks here are also a big part of my recovery. knowing that I can put something on here, and then within a matter of minutes, I will have informative and supportive replies from people makes such a difference for me.

So thank you all!! Group hug anyone? :) :hugs:

kenboon
04-10-08, 23:03
Yes acceptance is definatly the key, but peice of mind will help you too so much i'm sure. It sounds like your doing all the right things too by keeping active ect. It is great having a great support network on here too, it does help a hell of alot and makes you feel so less isolated.

I'm sure you will be fine next week :)

All the best

Ken

Cathy V
04-10-08, 23:05
Well kiddo, we can go one better with the group hug thingy....:grouphug:
Hahaha! but you're very welcome dear xxxx

Dazza
04-10-08, 23:08
Haha - you have made me laugh Cathy! :roflmao:

and you've just made me realise about the 'more' button at the bottom of the emoticons that reveals loads more!!!

:sign20:

titchjd
04-10-08, 23:10
dazza .....big big hugs 2 u and never ever apologise 4 posting threads m8 u post as many as u need 2 help you x

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Titchjd xxxxxxxxxxxxx:bighug1: