PDA

View Full Version : Words of encouragement for those on Citalopram

Bunnah
04-10-08, 15:34
Hi all,

I was having some thoughts about the drugs ( Citalopram for me ), its side effects and lots of the posts I have read. One thing that anti-depressants can do for people like us with anxiety and depression is lift that fog that we have lived under for sometimes years. I see a lot of posts that I fully understand. Things like, I feel tearful, I feel upset, I feel angry. I have those feelings too, and I was starting to wonder if these drugs were making me feel very moody and distressed.

Then it came to me, and it might be simple, and it may or may not help anyone here having these feelings. However, it is possible that by taking the drugs, we are having the true feelings that were just eaten up for years by the constant anxiety, depression, holding it together for ourselves and our love ones. Maybe it’s a huge defrost on feelings I know I could not deal with because I was just so overwhelmed.

Just a quick example. I got engaged to my partner, and I sent my parents an email about it a few days ago. When my mother did not respond, I was confused, hurt and oh my lord, Angry. And that’s the thing, I was actually angry. And as odd as it sounds, I cant really remember feeling something as simple and as pure as general anger. I took a walk, got a little tearful and then came home and talked it out. And as I sit here, what I realize, that for the first time in a lot of years, I had an appropriate response to appropriate feelings.

So just a thought.. if your feeling tearful, angry, happy, upset, any of those things. It may not be side effects of your meds, it may be that you are coming to life again.

B x x x

JasonB
10-10-08, 15:05
Great Post.

I have just started Citralopram, and am a little bit apphrehensive. Not because of side effects, but because I dont want to feel like I have to rely on drugs.

This makes sense, and has helped.