PDA

View Full Version : been to docs...omg now im worried!!!!

traciec39
04-10-08, 16:43
Hi everyone

I went to see my doctor yesterday as my fasting blood sugar test came back and its 6.3 which i think is quite high.
Then she told me that my cholestrol level is high too 6.1, ok now im worrying

Then she done my blood pressure........omg 149/93, she done it 3 times one after another all readings were very similar.

Im 42, to be honest im overweight(too much good living) i do smoke and drink...oh no im a walking time bomb.

Today my head is banging my legs feel strange and tingly.

Shall i buy a blood pressure monitor? or will i just drive myself crackers with it?

Thanks for listening to my moan Luv Tracie xx:shrug:

titch
04-10-08, 17:07
hey hun you probably feel abit ill due to pancking hun...i wouldnt buy one of them machines hun you will just worry to much youll be checking it too often...dont mean to offend in anyway hunni.....take care xx

Liverbird67
04-10-08, 17:08
first of all you are not having a moan hun, you are concerned and worried I am more or less the same, dead overweight but not a smoker and a very small drinker however your blood pressure was proably up because you were scared, there is a thing called white coat anxiety which roughly means that when the doc or nurse takes your bp it shoots up because you are anxious, I was having a look at the bp machines in boots (theres loads) but decided against one as I think I would be at it all day everyday and it would consume my life, (the anxiety does already and its driving me insane.

Not sure whether this is supportive or not hun but just to let you know you are not alone sometimes I feel that because of my weight I have brought all this on myself - the media doesn't help does it?.

One thing that does work for bp is the relaxation tapes, they can be a bit strange at first but try and stick with them.

Lots of Love

Debbie

Dazza
04-10-08, 17:11
Hiya,

I agree..probably not worth buying a blood pressure monitor.

I know that you might not see it this way, but take it as a good thing that your doctor has notice these things at this early stage.

Things like blood pressure, high sugar levels and cholsterol and all be brought down by lifestlye changes like change in diet and increased exercise. I know that when we are anxious, exercise is often the last thing on our mind, but it has the double bonus of helping us both mentally and physically. I don't mean to sound like I am preaching, as I am not.. it's just that I do find that for example, swimming and yoga help me. :)

decca
04-10-08, 18:07
Hi Tracie,
Your fasting bloods aren't that bad , but I would treat it as a warning to change my diet and lifestyle.

check this out -

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/diabetes/202210.html

http://www.bchealthguide.org/kbase/topic/special/hw115432/sec1.htm

Good luck,
Decca.

nickieb
04-10-08, 19:08
Tracie
Hi love, dont worry too much. normal range blood sugar is meant to be between 4-7mmol & fasting 3.6-6.2mmol so fasting thats not to bad hun. I perosnally wouldnt be worried by this result but if your dr is theymay wish to repeat it again or monitor you blood glucose over 24hrs. Was is just a general MOT you were havin or have you been getting symptoms??

Your cholestrol is meant to be less than 5 so yeah it is raised but that can be altered with either a statin or diet (a diet low in non saturated fat).

Your Bp is aound the same as mine, bordeline hypertensive it is classed as. Again easy to correct with diet. Iahve cut out salt, fat & i exercise regualrly & now it is around 120/80. It is also well know that BP can increase with stress & anxiety of it being taken. I would suggest you keep a BP diary & monitor it over 1 month regularly (around 3-5 times a week at the same time each time) This will provide your GP with a good basis on treating it. However as i said it is only borderline so i wouldnt think you need treatment.

Try & relax hun. Get some good rest & exercise...it helps.

Best Wishes xxx