PDA

View Full Version : agoraphobia:have to get home NOW

lifeissweet
04-10-08, 17:54
how do i deal with the feeling that i have to get home NOW. i didnt used to be so bad and as long as i was pointing towards homewards and knew id get there soon i was fine, but now i have this horrible feeling that if i dont get there NOW then ill die(or whatever). its really like i cant go on, when im heading home i have the feeling that im not going to make it there and i have to be there instantly. i feel so terribly weak (i guess that would be the only way to describe it) like a bodily physical weakness that my body cant go on anymore.

anyone else had this?

Stressed92
04-10-08, 19:48
Yes laura i get this, but not so bad as it used to be. I try to distract myself from thinking about getting home and just try to accept where i am and that I will have to wait until I can go home.
It feels like you can't go on and it's so easy to just give up and head home, but the more you carry on going, the prouder you will feel of yourself:), so try to keep going.
Take Care
Amy
x

orangeblossom
04-10-08, 20:26
Hi Laura,
Yes, this sounds familiar to me as well. I do everything in my power to stop thinking about it - whether this is by listening to some music on mp3 player / forcing myself to daydream about something intricate like all the stitches that go into a tapestry or something I really like such as the perfect view... anything really to take your mind off the fact that your mind is trying to hijack your thoughts and make you feel as if you are never going to get home or that you can't get home fast enough. Sometimes I daydream about how I'm going to redecorate a room or something in my home - so that way I'm thinking about my home in a positive way instead of that I need to get there IMMEDIATELY.
Hope it has helped...
Best,
Orange

lifeissweet
05-10-08, 09:18
hi thanks so much for the replies. i have a baby and a young girl so when they are with me i dont feel so bad (feel terrible that i rely on my children for "safety" but its when im alone i find it hardest to distract myself).

does anyone ever feel like ther body is physically exhausted when they are walking?like as if they wont actually make it home? is this becasue ive stressed myself out too much, or is it YET another thing thats just a feeling and that my body is actually fine?

CONS
05-10-08, 10:33
Hi Laura its funny you saying about relying on your children for safety but i think of it as the opposite.

I can't walk more than 300-400 metres alone but when my daughter visits (she is 14 now) we walk across Morrisons and back and my heart races a little but the "inner strength" kicks in.

The maternal urge we all inherit with our own kids.

Its not being reliant, its inner strength that soothes you and makes you feel at ease. What your talking about is control. When outside we are surrounded by strangers who dont know us or our condition and we conclude that they wouldn't know how to help us if we had an attack or passed out for example.(although i only passed out once in my life, 5 years ago and the reason was horrific)

When home we rely on "home comforts" and feel much more at ease.

This is how i conclude it to be for me, maybe it applies to you also.

Phobias, disorders, quirks and OCD are very closely related.

Its ok,

CONS

thinker_bell
08-10-08, 17:41
laura i am exxxactly the same..
i get very panicky if i am more than a mile or so away from home...
i tend to be the same if my young son is with me but not as bad, if my son isnt with me im a mess...
i went away for one night to a beautiful hotel last week with my partner about 50 miles from home and my son stayed with his grandparents and i was a panicking mess, i hated that i cudnt get home straight away if i wanted to..
i am always the same.. if my son isnt there i crave him and rely on him to be my support.. hes only 5 !!!
you are not alone i cant give tips as i wish i knew how to control it myself but knowin im not the only one helps a little xxx
:shrug:

lifeissweet
08-10-08, 21:03
laura i am exxxactly the same..
i get very panicky if i am more than a mile or so away from home...
i tend to be the same if my young son is with me but not as bad, if my son isnt with me im a mess...
i went away for one night to a beautiful hotel last week with my partner about 50 miles from home and my son stayed with his grandparents and i was a panicking mess, i hated that i cudnt get home straight away if i wanted to..
i am always the same.. if my son isnt there i crave him and rely on him to be my support.. hes only 5 !!!
you are not alone i cant give tips as i wish i knew how to control it myself but knowin im not the only one helps a little xxx
:shrug:

hi thanks for your reply. im glad im not the only one, i definitely feel like my wee girl is my wee protector, altho she'd never know it, and shes only 4!. i think its because when she's there she chats away and i have something to concentrate on other than my own thoughts and feelings...with another adult im better too, altho i always feel like other adults can tell when im panicky (prob dont tho, my husband didnt even know til a few months ago when i told him!) X