PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding everything health related

Meewah
04-10-08, 22:33
Hi All

Does anyone avoid looking for problems with themselves as I feel that the anxiety symptoms are my main fear now. If I feel an itch etc.. I try to ignore it or avoid looking for lumps etc..as it brings on my anxiety symptoms. I shower quickly, Hate shaving just in case I find something like a enlarged gland. Avoid any visual or tactile searching like the plague. Yet my mind is constantly scanning for feelings which cause symptoms like shooting pains in my head, dizzies, chest pains, itches, pains. I then have to occupy myself quickly or I will make the anxiety symptoms will just snowball. Is this normal behaviour.

Mee.

Cathy V
04-10-08, 23:19
Haha, hi Mee, i had to smile when i read your post, when you asked if this was 'normal' behaviour, well i guess no, its not normal behaviour by normal standards, but its definately normal behaviour for anxiety!

Some people react to it the way you do and others do it the opposite way by constantly chaecking, poking and prodding. I would say both are normal for anxious people...:) xxx

KaylaMarie
04-10-08, 23:45
same thing with Me...

I change the channel when Health commercials come on...Refuse to google any symptom, I cant even stand talking about people getting the flu...

Though I do take my temperature regularly and yea. I dont like checking for lumps. I am just trying to ignore all of it. =P

Meewah
05-10-08, 12:00
Thanx for the replies guys..

Nice to know I'm not alone. Whats wierd is that the quacks recommend exposure for anxiety. How much exposure do we need. I have been exposing myself for over 2 years now and it ain't getting any better. Its only recently that I have stopped looking for any reminders about health issues with myself or others, this was just to give me a break from exposure as it is not working.

What next?

Mee

mummyto4
05-10-08, 12:36
I also change channel when anything health related comes on. I can barely watch the news anymore! sometimes.... ignorance is bliss!

chris q
05-10-08, 22:32
i am so with you on this one i jump in am out of the bath so quick i berly touch the water cos of the same thing i might check and find some think so i try to be as quick as i can i know is soudes so sad i feel like i am worrying my life away must stop be strong all the best

kathylou26
06-10-08, 10:00
unfortunately I am one of the pokers and prodders, which is how I found swollen lymph gland under my ear which is currently freaking me out. most people would never even feel that particular spot. i find that stories of cancer in the media can really trigger my anxiety, i try and avoid them but i feel beset from all sides, there is always something in the papers, magazines, radio or tv to set me off. i thinks i am going to go and live in a bubble :)

Simply Red
06-10-08, 12:21
I'm a poker and prodder too. I hate myself for it but just can't resist. I also look out for 'feelings', dizziness, tingling, numbness etc. its a nightmare because if you look hard enough sure enough you'll find something!

Take care

Red xx

berkshiregirl
06-10-08, 16:52
i am like this also if my head feels funny which is most of the time i prod and poke it and my husband says no wonder it hurts if you have been prodding and poking all day long is horrible, i am my own worst enemy

Meewah
06-10-08, 23:49
I think the strange thing is that I am constantly scanning my body for symptoms of serious illness. My natural instinct is to avoid exploring a pain etc to see if it goes away. I know if I start poking, my sensitivity is so high that I will feel something that is normal and blow it in to a full panic. Not worth it. I think I am more scared of the panic than the actual symptom to the point where sometimes I have scary thoughts of ending it all. I worry that if something really bad happened in my life at the moment I might do something stupid. Then I think about my wonderful family and how selfish I am and bang, back to earth again until the next low.

Mee

Sallysdream
07-10-08, 00:08
Same here. I hate people talking about any health related things as I usually get those symps afterwards too. Constant checking in mirror. avoiding of shaving and if i do it try to do it under water (bath), then i am scared to cut myself so I do not get any infections. I used to love watching House and Harvey street and I can't do thaat anymore, had to delete all the episodes.

Sallysdream
07-10-08, 00:11
I am scared that once i panic I will feel bad again for weeks, not sleep and eat and live in fear. And then I panic cos of the panic.....so stupid