PDA

View Full Version : Stupid stupid beats :(

Tracy68
06-10-08, 14:15
Hi all
I've been a member on here for quite a while and at one point was constantly on here but started to build my life back up and found myself on here less and less. I always found reassurance when reading the forum and could totally relate to some people's problems, sypmtoms etc etc.
Well I need a bit more reassurance today :(. I've suffered with ectopic beats for years and some days can deal with them no problem, but today I had an episode which I just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same.
For a few days now i've been suffering with ectopics but coping but today out of the blue whilst I was in the local shop I had an ectopic/ectopics which totally took my breath away and made me feel quite weird for a few minutes. Has anyone else had them like this at all?
Will appreciate any comments

Thanks
Tracy
xx

Cathy V
06-10-08, 14:26
Do you mean that there seemed to be a bigger pause than usual, so that the missed beat felt as if it was much 'deeper' and because of this you thought your heart took a longer time to get going again? made you hold your breath a little while you waited for the next beat? Dont know if its the same, but apart from the usual ectopics, sometimes there's an odd one that seems to last longer, and then i seem to hold my breath and will my heart to make another beat so i know it hasnt stopped altogether :ohmy:

When i first got these now and again they freaked me out more than the other more 'normal' ectopics, but now i know that it only happens occasionally and its not dangerous. :) xxxx

Tracy68
06-10-08, 14:43
Hi Cathy
Thanks for the reply. I don't think it was a bigger pause but then again I'm not 100% sure it kinda felt like maybe I had two consecutive ones but it certainly took my breath away. Funny though since i've been back home I've not had any since.....well not felt any anyways.
I used to be able to deal with them alot better but i've now hit 40 and I suppose i'm thinking that the older i'm getting my heart won't take much more if that makes any sense lol

Tracy
xxx

Mikke
06-10-08, 17:34
It's perfectly normal to feel a bit weird from ectopics.
What happens is that your heart throws in an extra beat just after the previous. There is little blood beeing pumped out by this extrabeat, so it takes the heart a bit longer to refill for the next beat. This pause is not long enough to be dangerous in any way, but it can make you a bit dizzy or out of breath. The heart and the long works together. If you fill your lungs totally with air your heart will actually skip a beat wether you have anxiety ectopics or not. Anyone who doesn't struggle with ectopics can trigger a skipped beat by doing this. As Cathy says, depending on how much air there is in your lungs at the time, you could feel out of breath for a second or two.
This is of no concern.

yanksforever
06-10-08, 18:56
Mikke your post might have answered my question with your post. Today I was sitting on the floor watchign TV, when I got up, I tooka deep breath and my heart skipped a beat (felt like a THUMP). It really scared me...but I guess the change in blood pressure by getting up, combined with the deep breath can cause this.

LeeBee
07-10-08, 08:02
Thanks Mikke, that's really good to know. I feel like a need to catch my breath sometimes with my ectopics, now I know why :). Last night I a barrage of the darn things, I was a bit upset at the time, think that was why.

jodie
07-10-08, 10:49
hiya

tracy as you know i have had these dam ectopics for a long time now and although they have got better every so often they scare the hell out of me .
i think i know what you mean for what you have said it is like you get 3 or 4 all at once feels like a flutter in your chest that takes your breath and kina makes you dizzy for a second or so that feels more like a few mins ,when they happen to me i think after that actually the panic that came after them made me feel worse but at the time you think it was the beats that made you feel that bad.
maybe it felt worse coz of the way you were stood or that you got a shock or maybe like my doc tells me it came from a different part or the heart (still would not harm you).
plase try not to worry and not to think about it to much or i know they will just get worse as thinking about them for me brings them on .just think to yourself you are still here it did not harm you ,the worst thing is how it felt that all hun

jodie xxx

ps,pm me anytime