PDA

View Full Version : Hoping for advice and friendship!

Steerpike
30-05-05, 15:44
Hi folks,

I'm quite new here and wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone had any words of encouragement or advice.

Without rambling too much! - I'm 30, Divorced with beautiful daughter, living in Bournemouth. I'm in a job I hate which is draining me. I have longstanding issues with anxiety which is more GAD than full blown panic attacks.

I self medicate by buying Valium online as my doctor wouldn't prescribe me it. I've tried Seroxat but didn't get on with it. Propranolol did nothing for me either really. My main problems now appear to be social anxiety - I often shake, tremble, go red, stammer in social environments where I didnt used to have a problem. I drink heavily to cope with social situations.

I am, however, trying to put something positive into coping with this confusing and frustrating situation. I embarked on a CBT course at the recommendation of my GP - and had a dreadful experience at the hands of a shockingly unproffesional therapist. I may try a new provider. Can I register a complaint about this provider?

I want to try Hypnotherapy to reduce stress - any positive experiences?

Finally, I'm trying to exercise regulalry, eat more heathily and drink less!

I think I'll get there but feel it all stems from low self esteem. I really want a therapy which encourages positive thinking and think a more subliminal form - ie Hypno, would work for me. Any good CD's anyone can recommend?

Thanks for listening!

seh1980
30-05-05, 16:07
Welcome aboard!! I'm sure you'll get some good advice here. Eating healthily and exercising regularly should help you with your anxiety. I know that I feel a lot worse if I haven't eaten properly for a few days or if I've had topo much junk. With CBT, it really does depend on the person you get. Some people have really good experiences and others not to good. Hopefully, you will be luckier next time!!

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Steerpike
30-05-05, 16:29
hey thanks for that. I think I just picked a poor therapist but wont let that put me off completely

nomorepanic
30-05-05, 16:46
Hi

Welcome aboard the forum.

The doctor probably wouldn't give you Valium as it is very addictive. What sort of dosage are you on and it is regular use or just when you need it?

I have done Hypnotherapy and it was very relaxing - though expensive!

For CD's try www.hypnosisaudio.com - they do some good ones.

Hope we can be of some help to you on here and look forward to getting to know you.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Steerpike
30-05-05, 17:07
Thanks.

I take about 10 - 15mg at anyone time, usually to control anxiety the morning after a heavy session. Though I do take it sometimes at other times. To be honest I've never had a particulary addictive personality so I'm not too concerned but don't want to rely on Valium anymore. Do you know what a safe dosage is? Could I, for instance, OD on 40mg?

Thanks for the link too.

Steerpike
30-05-05, 17:48
have just read somewhere that coming off Valium should be done very carefully as you can suffer seizures. I've been popping them as and when required! Anyone else hear of this kind of thing?

Meg
30-05-05, 18:39
Steerpike,

You're not helping yourself as much as you could by swinging between alcohol and valium..

It is really really hard but it is doable...its worth making huge efforts to lower both those self medications. They are just getting you into deeper difficulties, the longer you continue the cycles and you will give yourself a good start to controlling one part of your anxiety.

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Hypoglycemia (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=189)
Gi Diet (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3179)

alcohol and panic-do they mix? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2409)
Alcohol and medication (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2143)
MEDS AND ALCOHOL (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1068)

Sorry you had a bad CBT experience . Is she is registered then yes you can complain but you'll need to see her qualificatiosn to see which board shes registerered with.

Much of social phobia does stem from low self esteem. There are several online courses and some good books around.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

florence
30-05-05, 20:29
Hi Steerpike

Welcome to the forum.

I am having hypnotherapy sessions at the mo, and I think its very helpful.
I take valium too, every night but I am on a low dose now (2 mg).
If you need any advices about valium please check www.benzo.org.uk

This site has helped me last year while going thru bad withdrawal symptoms after stopping tranquilizers suddenly.

I hope you'll find great support here and wish you all the best.
Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

Karen
30-05-05, 22:05
Hi Speerpike

Welcome to the forum.

I also suffer from social phobia, as well as depression. I'm currently having hypnotherapy and find it very helpful for relaxation.

Hope we can be of help to you.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

henri
30-05-05, 22:22
Hi Steerpike,
Welcome to the site!
I'm sorry you had such a terrible CBT experience. I tried a couple before finding one i liked - it's a mixed bag out there. I found it really helped me - my issues are very much linked with low confidence and self esteem.
If you log on to www.babcp.com (British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotheries) you should be able to find a good therapist in your area and maybe lodge a complaint about the cowboy one you tried (not really sure about that tho).
My panic attacks have meant i can't drink for some reason - the couple of times i've tried i've felt so much worse so i think coming off the sauce might help you.
My CBT therapist sold me a brilliant relaxation CD called the Sea and the Garden by Christine Jacobs. It really helps me calm down so i definitely recommend getting one.
Let us know how the hypnotherapy goes,
henri x

sal
30-05-05, 23:03
Hi and a big welcome to the site.

Hope we can help you. Valium is a great relief as and when required but it depends on how much we need to take it and how often.
But too much use can be detrimental to our health and make us feel worse if we stop taking it if we have taken large amounts on a regular basis.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Steerpike
31-05-05, 20:40
Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement and I wish you all the best with your troubles!

florence
31-05-05, 20:52
Hi

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">and I wish you all the best with your troubles! </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Thank you ;)

Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

sal
31-05-05, 22:05
Thanks and i hope we can help you aswell.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.