PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety during pregnancy

pigtailplaits
06-10-08, 22:04
Hello again,

Has anyone on here been pregnant whilst suffering health anxiety. I have been suffering with it quite bad for 9months now. Ive had every test possible but I have serious issues regarding brain tumours.
I have a 20 month old daughter and me and my partner would like to have another baby however, I am very worried about how I will be when I am pregnant. I am concerned that my symptoms and paranoia may lead to developmental problems for my child. Also, because alot of the symptoms in pregnancy (headaches, metallic tastes, sickness) may lead me to think I have a brain tumor I am scared of trying. Part of me is also desperate to have another baby incase I die and then my daughter has someone to grow up with(as well as her dad)
So what I really want to know is how many people have had bad health anxiety whilst being pregnant and gone on to have normal healthy children.
I am also scared that i may develop pre eclampsia in pregnancy because I am so dizzy all the time and everytime I lean forwards or lie down i get a rush of blood going to the top of my forehead.
I wish I could go back to how I was this time last year, on top of the world

jodie
07-10-08, 10:57
hiya

i had ha when i was having my little girl and the i was not to bad i knew they kept a good eye on you and the baby and glad i did go through with it as i still have ha and would not like to think i would have waited all this time just to find i still suffer .
try to think you have had one baby and all went on this ha is thoughts not real problems although they seem it and therefor you and baby should be just fine hun.

why not have a chat with your hubby and your doc see what they think i guess you have to know that you will be able to cope and have the support there when you need it

jodie x:hugs:

pinkprincess
07-10-08, 19:59
Hi, i had a little anxiety towards the end of my pregnancy and then it hit me really bad after my daughter was born, you have to remember you are not just anxious about health it would of been the labour, bringing a new child into the world,i too am constantly dizzy and have tablets to balance me. my daughter is 4 months old, i have had other symptoms other than dizzyness too which led me to think i have a brain tumour, you have to carry on your day to day life as well as having another baby. keep telling yourself you are fine, another baby might make you better rather than worse!! I have been there i know, good luck and hope everything works out for you.xx

Lissy43
07-10-08, 20:09
When I was pregnant with my 3rd child I suffered awful health anxiety. My HA kicked in when my 2nd child was about 6 months old, I suffered a misscarage and from that day I was worrying alot so for the last 4 years this thing has haunted me.

I decided i wanted a 3rd so went for it, I was worried sick because id had a previous mc but once over 12 weeks I relaxed a little. I then started getting very anxious about my health and the thought of losing my baby that I went to the GP and was put on antidepressants, I felt so desperate that I took them and I felt about 50 % better for doing so.

My daughter was born with no abnormalities despite me taking anti depressants and suffering from anxiety symptoms. You will not cause any problems you just need to try and relax as much as you can before trying for a baby so you can enjoy it.

I would love a 4th child but with me having health anxiety I really don't think I could do it again, everyone is different but I won't lie to you being pregnant and being a worrier about your health isn't easy so maybe try CBT and getting yourself well before trying?

Hope things work out for you.

mabelina
07-10-08, 20:49
I have very bad HA, so much so that my doctor teased me once and suggested i just set up camp outside the surgery! Good job i have a sence of humour and know how rediculous i can be.

I found out two weeks ago that im pregnant and constantly worry about my HA. The slightest twinge in my stomach now makes me freak out. My main fear is the palps i get. Im convinced i have a bad heart, and have always worried my heart would give out during birth. Well, i guess i just have to face my fears now:ohmy:

kimmiepie
07-10-08, 21:37
I have very bad HA, so much so that my doctor teased me once and suggested i just set up camp outside the surgery! Good job i have a sence of humour and know how rediculous i can be.

I found out two weeks ago that im pregnant and constantly worry about my HA. The slightest twinge in my stomach now makes me freak out. My main fear is the palps i get. Im convinced i have a bad heart, and have always worried my heart would give out during birth. Well, i guess i just have to face my fears now:ohmy:

I have always worried about my heart giving out during pregnancy/birth too. But I had them with my 3rd pregnancy and got through birth just fine without even one ectopic. Now I'm pregnant with #4 and I have them all the time, but I am 24 weeks, have had the dr check them out again and he was not worried and I am still here. :)

bex.d
17-10-08, 20:25
I posted about this when i was pregnant too, i was convinced my heart wouldn't be able to cope with giving birth and i spent the whole 9 months worrying myself sick about it, i used to look at my daughter and wonder how she would cope without her mummy, i had palps and chest pain, breathlessness all the way through pregnancy, but when i was actually in labour, something else took over and i didn't think about it and when my beutifull baby boy was born i was on cloud nine and touch wood he is 6 months old now and i have been ok, i have the odd panic about my health and everyone else's too but nothing as bad as it used to be, i also feel annoyed with myself for letting my ha ruin my pregnancy!!! your doctors and midwives will be keeping a close eye on you throughout and if there was anything untoward then they will find it straight away, so i know it's easier said than done but try to enjoy it and focus on holding your beautiful baby in your arms xxxxxxxxxxx

stars22
07-10-15, 09:05
I know this is a old post but I am in same position now kinda of I have just found out im pregnant im having breathing problems and palps and I'm so scared something is going to go wrong I had a mc before this pregnancy and also jave two children but I feel my hearts going to give up im so worried xxx