PDA

View Full Version : Initial side effects

RichardW
07-10-08, 08:53
Just started Citalopram, been on it 6 days at 10mg and have just had an awful episode on the loo, very bad diarrhea. Is this a side effect, or my IBS kicking me while I'm down?

hopeful
07-10-08, 14:01
Could be the meds.Make sure you eat something before or when taking the tablet.Taking them on an empty stomach can cause this.Good luck.
julie x

RichardW
07-10-08, 14:26
Thanks. I always take them after my dinner at about 7pm ish. I was fine first few days, but today feel pretty horrid.

vti2007
07-10-08, 15:08
Richard,

It can do that to you so don't worry to much. As a side note once I settled down on the citalpram it had the very welcome effect of sorting my IBS out. The Doc says that they sometimes use it for that purpose as well :)

RichardW
10-10-08, 09:04
Thanks, I'm sure it is just the drugs. But right now I'm wondering if I can keep going with them. I'm on the 4th day at 20mg (after 6 at 10mg) and my guts are dreadful, I'm losing weight and my nerves are absolutely fried. Never felt quite this low to be honest.

dawny
10-10-08, 09:08
richard,

when we are feeling low, this can cause upset tummy's, but as the tablets kick in and you start to feel better this will all calm down...i think i lived with ibs for a year solid, now im trouble free....hope this helps

dawny xxxxx

rickb
10-10-08, 09:55
richard
i've been on citalopram for just over 3 weeks now for anxiety issues, the side effects i get seem to be an increased level of anxiety (ironic) then the loss of appetite, have used cipralex in the past which seemed to settle down after a couple of weeks, not sure if this drug is working for me or just takes longer to settle down, good luck to you though.

rickb

RichardW
10-10-08, 10:24
The increase in anxiety is doing my head in. Every morning I wake up (early, thanks to the side-effects) with incredible nervous feelings. I was hoping it would start to abate by now.

The only thing that's good about these drugs so far is they seem to have a sedating effect, so at least my evenings are pleasant.

vti2007
10-10-08, 10:32
Richard,

The early morning thing is the pills and it will settle down. I am about 8 weeks in and I sleep like a baby now. I had trouble for a few weeks, I kept waking at 3-4am and not being able to sleep.

The evening thing also seems to be classic with some people. I found I was OK in the evening and then gradually it became earlier and earlier until I felt OK all day long.

Stick with them - they say that the increase in anxiety is a good sign that they will work for you when you settle down on them :)

RichardW
10-10-08, 11:14
Thanks for the reassurance. I'll stick with it. I have a GP appointment next Wednesday so I'll review it then, and see what she thinks. I ended up taking the last two days off work with it, and that made me even more anxious to be honest as I started to worry I wouldn't be able to face going back. But I'm at my desk today, so that's a positive.

rickb
10-10-08, 12:42
increased anxiety, poor sleep, loss of appetite make it hard to want to stay on citalopram, 3.5 weeks in i would have hoped to see improvement. although i can relate to the evening thing, but then come the morning its like groundhog day (i take my tablet in the evening 10mg)

RichardW
15-10-08, 09:49
Seen different GP and they told me this was the wrong drug for me as I have compulsive behaviour (health anxiety). Been put on Seroxat instead!