PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks sufferer

scooterdude
07-10-08, 09:51
hey yall,

ive been suffering panic attacks for e past 1-2 months... they come on especially when i'm doing a presentation.. i get chest tightness and shortness of breath... and when e symptoms set in... i feel like i cant continue.. my presentation suck... my studies involve alot of such presentations... i cant just pack up and leave...

pls feel free to share :)

LeeBee
07-10-08, 10:04
Hi scooterdude, when I get that type of anxiety ie before a specific event - public speaking is quite frightening for me so you have my admiration that you do it so often. I find breathing exercises can help. The idea basically to regulate your breathing, which will in turn help to relax your body, which should help to relax your mind. I use ashtanga yoga ujjayi breathing which involves gently holding the muscles in the back of your throat and then taking slow breaths through the nose. Sounds weird but it just slows your breathing down and allows you to control it more easily. At the same time you can concentrate on the movement of the breath, this can clear your mind and slow down intrusive thoughts. There's more about it here

http://yoga.about.com/od/breathing/a/ujjayi.htm

Doesn't always work, but sometimes it helps. I'm sure others have some clever techniques...

CONS
07-10-08, 10:06
My group therapist instructor said to me on my initial asessment that he himself was having anxiety talking to me about which group i should go into etc.

Is this only when giving presentations? if so how is your confidence outside of that scenario?

Very natural to feel anx standing infront of many people or even 1 or a few important people.

Control your breathing, explain to whoever is leading the class/managing the room that you have discomfort when doing these things so that he/she is aware.

Dont be afraid to tell people who need to know how you feel.

Youre not alone,

CONS

scooterdude
07-10-08, 10:19
hey leebee and cons, thanks for e prompt replies... :) the panic attacks do happen in diff situations as well... sometimes e situation could be as innocuous as just listening to a talk... but these attacks affects me much more during presentation as i often find myself having great difficulty continuing due to the chest tightness... i often have to make pauses... i also try very hard to hide my anxiety... but usually e harder i try e worse it becomes...