PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here with intrussive health thoughts?

drewman
07-10-08, 11:56
Hi all

I heard yesterday from my NHS assesment that health anxiety and OCD are closely linked, and the same CBT is offered for both etc.

I suffer badly from intrussive thoughts on health (all day) Esp HIV and Diabetes.

I was wondering if anyone here has this and what methods u use to stop the nasty non irrational thoughts?

CONS
07-10-08, 12:37
Diabetes can easily be ruled out by your GP with a blood test,

H.I.V from a sex clinic, ive been tested twice before and all is ok.

Intrusive thoughts with anx/panic/ocd are closely linked together and im sure many many people here have them.

Including me,

CONS

drewman
07-10-08, 12:43
I have been tested for both and am fine

But my mind is trying to find diffrent ways to attack me that i have been put at risk since a test.

CONS
07-10-08, 12:45
Get tested once more drewman and wear the dreaded condoms in the future (i assume your male)

personally i hate the f'ing things but hey, piece of mind is worth it.

CONS

Coolrvrsally
08-10-08, 00:08
I live in a constant state of anxiety over potentially deadly health issues. Part of this is due to mis-diagnosis and mis-management by my physicians in the past which has caused me to completely lose trust in medical doctors and the courses of medical treatment they prescribe. I am much better able to cope when I am not sick (I have pneumonia right now so I'm convinced it will kill me OR the meds will). Even when I know there is nothing wrong I am in a constant state of surveying my bodily sensations. I am an intelligent, logical person aware that these fears are totally irrational. It doesn't matter. It will get worse if you don't get help. The other posters are right, get the tests, rule out the illnesses, but then try to work on trusting those results and in the meantime get some kind of therapeutic help to stop the obsessive thoughts. That's just my two cents not wanting anyone to experience what I do on the level I do. I wish the best for you.