PDA

View Full Version : :: News Broadcasting Poll ::

CONS
07-10-08, 13:06
Ok this one has got my goat for a long time now,

I dont think the news should be allowed to be broadcast without a warning beforehand due to its content.

More indepth, the news speaks of horrific events everyday which paints pictures in peoples minds and i think could well be a contributing factor to social anxiety/general anxiety and overall depression. Personally i dont want hear it but i find i cant escape it.

People say if you dont like it then dont watch, fair comment.

But the news sucker-punches you with headlines before you can even get to the remote control.

They talk of death that causes me to think of my past as well as other items on the agenda that frankly i dont want to hear.

So here is my argument:

If fictional programmes have a watershed why can the news get away without any pre-warning of what its content will be about? even if there are no pictures or video footage?

Personally i believe its a contributing factor towards anxiety.

If the news had a pre-warning EVERYTIME then people would have the chance to turn over.

Whats your views on this?

CONS

Clockwork
07-10-08, 13:39
You might be onto something there Cons about the news contributing to your anxiety.
I heard a while back (or read it somewhere) that people who watch or are exposed to constant/too much news are more depressed/pessimistic than people who don't.

It made sense to me.....footage after footage of death, destruction, natural disasters etc has got to make people feel down.

Sad fact is that if the news contained 'warnings' before broadcasting, more people would probably watch it for its gore and body count stuff.

Check out the popularity of morbid junk like Casualty etc. This is a nation of sick and twisted voyeurs.

CONS
07-10-08, 15:07
Some valid points there Clockwork,

My point is simple,

when they mention a stabbing they dont ask for witnesses 90% of the time, so wtf did i need to know for?, who does it help?, i see it as giving unecessary notoriety to an area or a group of individuals. Also with the increase of knife related incidents doesnt this make younger people want protect themselves by buying what it is thats being broadcast?

Always a possibility,

CONS

Clockwork
07-10-08, 16:25
The Media confuse broadcasting with narrowcasting. News reporting should be about stuff that affects a broad range of people, a town, the nation etc.

Whilst obviously not wishing misfortune to happen to anyone, I have no interest whatsoever in watching/hearing of misfortune A affecting person B, accident X affecting person Z etc...ie tragic stuff affecting people I don't know. It should be a private matter for those involved and the media should butt out.

Regarding knife crime..again it is a personal tragedy for the victim and their family, but I really couldn't give a toss if some guy in London/Scotland/wherever gets stabbed.

It's all propaganda with the ultimate aim of totally disarming the public, guns..knives...next it will be large belts.

Everything is broadcast with an ulterior motive. It's what they don't broadcast that people should be alert to.

To reduce your anxiety it might be an idea to quit watching the news on TV and catch the headlines on the radio.

I quit watching the news years ago as I refuse to sit down and be spoon-fed junk garbage which someone else has decided to be 'my news'.

Ddcoo
23-10-08, 16:12
I think that a lot of what is reported on the news gives youngsters who are inclined to be lawless, ideas of how to do various crimes. Just for an instance I had never heard of ram raiding until it was explained on a new programme one night (that was some time ago). After that, loads of local shops were having to put up crash barriers outside their premises as it was becoming so prevalent. When I am anxious, I don't watch the news if I can help it because it gives me nightmares.:unsure:

Oceanblue
23-10-08, 17:23
The Media confuse broadcasting with narrowcasting. News reporting should be about stuff that affects a broad range of people, a town, the nation etc.

Whilst obviously not wishing misfortune to happen to anyone, I have no interest whatsoever in watching/hearing of misfortune A affecting person B, accident X affecting person Z etc...ie tragic stuff affecting people I don't know. It should be a private matter for those involved and the media should butt out.

It's all propaganda with the ultimate aim of totally disarming the public, guns..knives...next it will be large belts.

Everything is broadcast with an ulterior motive. It's what they don't broadcast that people should be alert to.

To reduce your anxiety it might be an idea to quit watching the news on TV and catch the headlines on the radio.

I quit watching the news years ago as I refuse to sit down and be spoon-fed junk garbage which someone else has decided to be 'my news'.

Hiya Cons,

Hope you're aswell as can be :).

Well, I'm not really sure what i'd vote for in your poll, as I couldn't agree more with what Clockwork has written.

Especially -

This is what worrys me.

I very rarely watch the news, I mainly read write ups on the Net for info.

Don't let all this worry you and certainly don't get wrapped up with the Tabloid rubbish, it doesn't do anybody any good.

I find that the UK seems to be a very negative Country when it comes down to their Media and stuff, it's a real shame because Britain is a great place to live. So many Brits' focus on the negativity, (I once did too), only now I realise just how lucky I am to be living here.

There are so many positive things out there and they do outweigh the bad by a long shot.

You will find your happiness mate, you just need to give yourself some time.

Take care Cons :flowers:

Jaco45er
26-10-08, 22:57
It's got nothing to do with being in the UK, I don't buy all that UK is going to the dogs tosh.

News should never be censored, if it happens ? we all need to know.

Only by knowing can good act. The perception is that these days we are more in danger. However, you couldn't walk through London in the 1700,s without risking your life, or walk the streets of major cities during raids in WWII.

As for tabloids? read them at your pearl, it's gossip for the easily lead.

Just an opinion ;)

Jaco

eeyorelover
27-10-08, 04:29
I truly believe that attaining knowledge can never be a bad thing.

That being said I do believe that the news media spins stories a certain way.
Take the US presidential race. CNN is far more to the right and is much more pro McCain whereas FoxNews is more to the left and is more pro Obama. I watch a little of both to get both sides and then I decide for myself.

There was a comment about not caring about whether someone was attacked in another part of town, but what if the attacker was still at large? Wouldn't it be a plus to have a description of him/her to avoid any further attacks?

My policy has always been that I stay informed by the news from lots of different sources but I don't dwell on it to the point that it causes me stress.
xxx
Sandy

Oceanblue
27-10-08, 09:37
It's got nothing to do with being in the UK, I don't buy all that UK is going to the dogs tosh.

Jaco

Not sure if you were talking to me Jaco :shrug:. If so,.. when you say it's got nothing to do with the UK, well of course it has, I'm talking about British Media. I find that British Media is very negative.

When it comes to the News, well News is 'News' whichever Country we're living in the world, and of course they report on tragic incidents (that goes without saying) and we should have a right to know, but I feel the way 'British Media' is put together as awhole is depressing, negativity sells here.

I certainly don't think the UK is going to the dogs, I love the UK. I can see there are so many positive things out there, which I was trying to remind CONS, these things outweigh the bad by along shot. It's just that when we're feeling ill, vulnerable and low, it's very easy to become too absorbed. It's not healthy and it's best that while somebody is feeling unwell to stay well away from all this negativity.

Oceanblue
27-10-08, 10:07
My policy has always been that I stay informed by the news from lots of different sources but I don't dwell on it to the point that it causes me stress.

The Media's so corrupt it's insane. If there is something I hear of, or have read that i'm interested in, I too try and get some sort of balanced idea from different sources.
But I only do this when I'm feeling very well in myself, whereas years ago, I used to do it no matter how I felt.
Our perceptions are entirely different when we're feeling sick, just not a good idea.

Jaco45er
27-10-08, 10:56
I think newspapers in general are like that the world over, it's not UK specific.

I remember my old man always going on about Aussie papers when we lived there, and I read a couple of papers in Florida that where just as bias and sensationalistic (is that a word?).

I know in China there is no free press as such, but then again, you don't get tortured here for saying what you feel here;)

Jaco

Oceanblue
27-10-08, 11:31
I think newspapers in general are like that the world over, it's not UK specific.

I remember my old man always going on about Aussie papers when we lived there, and I read a couple of papers in Florida that where just as bias and sensationalistic (is that a word?).

I know in China there is no free press as such, but then again, you don't get tortured here for saying what you feel here;)

Jaco

Yep, I agree that many other countries are similar, only I do feel that British Media in particular likes to emphasise on the doom in the UK.

Not sure whether that such a comparison could be made with regards to China though lol:ohmy:.

:flowers:

Karen
27-10-08, 11:51
I just avoid watching the news completely because it is always depressing and I have enough problems with depression already.

I don't really get anxious about news stories but I prefer to avoid watching at all.

Karen xx

kendo59
28-10-08, 07:59
I agree with Jaco
News should never be censored, if it happens ? we all need to know.

If watching the news makes you ill, then don't watch it.
That is what the "off" button is for.

LeeBee
28-10-08, 08:13
Generally speaking, media outlets know their audience and vice versa. If you buy The Sun, you know what you are getting. If you are offended by page 3 girls, you don't buy it. If bad news upsets you, best not to look at any at all. News outlets with a broader audience need to be a bit more careful. If a 6pm BBC TV news bulletin wants to show a images of dead soldiers, for example, then it will issue a warning that some people may find it distressing. People then have a few moments to switch over or send the kids out of the room, whatever they wish. Most broadcasters do this.

If a media outlet oversteps the mark, it's audience will soon let it know precisely what it thinks and the outlet will be suitably chastened. Look at the Brand/Ross furore going on right now. It's not a perfect system, but the alternatives aren't that great either (cf Churchill on democracy).

Yvonne
28-10-08, 19:32
Hmmm this is an interesting one.

Cons, I understand that the content of the news can upset people, of course it does, with this illness things play on our minds and it adds to our anxiety. With depression of course, hearing all the terrible things that are going on in the world could only add to one's depressive state of mind.

In your poll I put that maybe there should be a warning if the content could be distressing - it was something like that on the poll.

We have the privilege of getting the news of what's happening around the world and around the corner to us. Knowledge is good. I would hate a society where stuff is hidden fromus.

If it's a case of "I only want to hear good news" then in my opinion you just don't watch the news. We all know when news times are and we can avoid watching it if we want to.

I think the media in general are very good at giving out warnings if there is something distressing in a programme which I think is only right. Some things on television are extremely disturbing and certain things I defo choose not to watch.

No I really do think the news has to be broadcast without warning unless it contains something which could be upsetting/distressing for certain people. You know what they say don't you "No news is good news" lol.

Take care all.

Yvonne

Franz
28-10-08, 19:50
My opinion: the world sucks and if you can't deal with that, tough luck.

There is too much blaming goes in this country and not enough taking responsibility for our own problems and anxieties. Having a TV is a choice, not an obligation.

I avoid the news on the whole because it's all too depressing, but if I happen to catch the headlines I just think it's my own stupid fault.

The next step beyond blaming the media for exposing us to reality is blaming it FOR reality.

Oceanblue
28-10-08, 19:58
The next step beyond blaming the media for exposing us to reality is blaming it FOR reality.

Not all Media tell's it how it is though, which is why it's best to gain knowledge from different sources, can all be kind of like chinese whispers. Am I allowed to say that ? lol (sorry if I've offended anyone re; the Chinese Whispers).:blush:

Jaco45er
28-10-08, 20:03
I will stick with "the glass is half full" attitude ;)

Oceanblue
28-10-08, 20:07
I will stick with "the glass is half full" attitude ;)

Lol,.. I was once 'the glass is half empty' kind of person too.

Never looking back on that again ! :winks:

Yvonne
29-10-08, 08:27
Franz

Well said my sentiments exactly.

Franz
29-10-08, 10:34
Not all Media tell's it how it is though, which is why it's best to gain knowledge from different sources, can all be kind of like chinese whispers. Am I allowed to say that ? lol (sorry if I've offended anyone re; the Chinese Whispers).:blush:

Sorry, I was in a bad mood yesterday, and perhaps didn't state my case very sensitively.

Oceanblue
29-10-08, 14:13
Sorry, I was in a bad mood yesterday, and perhaps didn't state my case very sensitively.

Lol,..No worries, it's only a discussion about the News and Media. It's not the end of the world:winks: .

Hoping you feel alittle better today.

Take it easy Franz :flowers:

Yvonne
29-10-08, 16:23
Franz

I know what you mean about the lack of sensitivity cos I do it on here sometimes then regret it. However, what you said was, to me anyway quite right.

I do feel deeply for those who are affected by certain issues on the news and it's awful for them but personally I do think you can just avoid the news if you so wish.

As Katie said it's only a discussion anyway lol.

Southern_Belle
29-10-08, 17:33
I do avoid watching the news because for me it does set my anxiety off and I just can't handle it. Most of the time it is nothing but horrible stories and I'm talking local, national and international. Some of our local newscasters actually lean forward when they are telling gruesome details almost as if they are saying "come closer folks, we have some real gory details tonight!" For me not watching works and I will admit I get most of what I need to know from my husband, friends and when I sign onto the computer.

As far as the poll goes, I think they should only warn if bodies are going to be shown or something to that effect and over here they normally do warn mostly for children's sake. I voted that the news should be the news but have now changed my mind.

Laura :)

Oceanblue
29-10-08, 19:54
Ok CONS - Made up my mind :) .

Have clicked the 'Maybe only on the serious events' option. The reason being is, although I do feel that the News is pretty good with warnings, I think for all those who are feeling quite ill and vulnerable, like I once was (and so can understand), then those warnings should be made alittle more frequent.

Jaco45er
29-10-08, 21:00
Warning here is the news?

Feck me, if you are going to do that, I want a warning before X factor, that crap is much more disturbing.

People will watch any old rubbish, but the news is important, but hey, last time I looked TV's had off buttons

Oceanblue
29-10-08, 21:11
People will watch any old rubbish, but the news is important, but hey, last time I looked TV's had off buttons

Pmsl. I couldn't give a sh-ite about XFactor either.

But,...righto Jaco. Cam d'own, Cam d'own with the button business re: The News,... that is what they say up north 'innit'? :wink:

samc100
11-11-08, 09:11
They already warn you if a news item is going to be distressing..

The News is already heavily censored... I think what we view on TV is pretty tame and done quite sensitively most of the time.

Captain America
12-11-08, 23:22
wow before chiming in can i just ask, do the british newsmen still have that bad poofy hair they used to have in 95?

anyway if there's one thing about the news that bothers me is i can't watch any of it with my kids, because you never know when they're going to switch gears from a nice community activism story to a '3 people are dead tonight following a collision at a traffic light...' or some stuff, with nice pictures of the smashed up cars. sure they warn you before showing dead bodies of soldiers, but disturbing is a relative term depending on the audience.

i certainly don't blame the news for my anxiety though. if anything, the worse the news about other people the safer i feel in my own house. until the home invasion segment, of course.