PDA

View Full Version : Valium and phobias

Paula
30-05-05, 23:54
Many many moons ago I was addicted to Valium due to an over zealous doctor prescribing them for something that would have been best dealt with without drugs. I was addicted to them for about five years, repeat prescriptions handed over with no problem at all.

Anyway before I took Valium I had no real phobias by the time I had weaned myself off them I found I had so many fears and phobias that living life was a mine field. I still have a lot of phobias, heights (can't even walk over a bridge for some strange reason I feel a compulsion to jump), and claustrophobia being the main ones.

My question is do you think Valium causes more problems than it solves?

sal
31-05-05, 00:04
Hi Paula

I can only speak from what i have heard and i know on a short term it can help and i myself rely on it but long term i have no idea the damage it causes.

I have read about the things you have said but by not experiencing them i can only offer you support by what i know. I take them and wouldnt not take them if i need them but it is not on a daily basis.

If talking will help you feel free to pm me and i will help you all i can.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Piglet
31-05-05, 22:33
I wouldn't take them continuously and have only ever had a couple 6 years ago, right at the beginning of my anxiety - but on the flip side of that is my mum who has taken them for the last thirty odd years and is 75 soon, she reckons they enabled her to live life fully ie; working full-time going off on holiday on her own 'flying' etc etc.

Although we both have a different view on them I cant deny the validity of what she's saying and I think her GP thinks shes been on them so long its better to leave it like that, although my own GP thinks she should have had help to get her off them years ago but I guess thats what they did 30 years ago. In some ways although I'm proud of her for always doing her best it would have been nice for her not feel this was all due to her tablets as I reckon she is stronger than she thinks.

Well done to you for weaning yourself off them - you deserve to feel very proud of that achievement which can't have been easy and I certainly dont feel there is any prob in having them for back up when necessary.

Wish I could help more with the 'does it cause more probs than it solves' bit but expect others will help you more with that.

Love Piglet

sal
31-05-05, 22:48
Hi Paula

How are you getting on?

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

blossom
01-06-05, 22:30
I was reading the messages about Valium, and I have been addicted to the for 40 years now, a matter of repeat prescriptions ovedr the years, and none of the doctors I have seen has ever suggested me coming off them at all, they always seemed to get me out and have a fairly ordinary life, mind you I had panics at times, Four years ago I was taken off SEROXAT cold turkey, and they upped the valiium to 20mgs a day, which I still take. I have mentioned to the doctors about coming off them, and they said I would be climbing the walls if I tried, so am still taking them, together with Cipralex, I am very depressed, so whether the Cipralex dont help I dont know, as I was never like this until I went on SSRI anti-meds. I would like meg if she would to tell me if I can take KALMS, which was suggested by the doctor I have now, but have not taken them incase, Could Meg please let me know if they are safe to take with what meds I am on thankyou, from Blossom

Meg
01-06-05, 22:35
Yes Blossom should be ok as you're addicted and used to that much valium and have been for years. Under normal circumstances, it'd make you extremely drowsy

Might be wise to check with the pharmacist as well.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sal
02-06-05, 00:36
Hi Blossom

I hope taking the herbal medication helps you to cut down on the valium.

Love Sal xx

Paula
03-06-05, 13:41
Blossom it took me near on two years to wean myself off them, by cutting tablets in half etc etc. If you really want to try and come off them please do not do it without medical help. You have been using them for a long time. I do wish you well in what ever you decide.

Sal thank you I am fine and am hopefully boarding a plane in the early hours of Tuesday morning I will be bearing in mind all the good advice I have received on the forum and let you know how I got on.