PDA

View Full Version : What makes your symptoms disappear??

Elsie
07-10-08, 20:15
Hi,

Was just wondering what makes any one of your symptoms go away?

I find that once I have visited the doctor and i'm satisfied with the explanation then the symptom tends to dwindle away within a few days.

If i haven't been to the doctor though i have to wait till a new symptom arises before i can leave that one!!

Weird isn't it, i would so like to know how to break the god dam cycle!!!

Any one else share my experiences?

Elsie :)

LeeBee
07-10-08, 20:20
I tend to focus on symptoms in turn - one week it's trembling, then it's chest tightness, then it's ectopics etc. The only thing that makes me stop thinking about the symptoms, and so make me stop feeling them, is when my mind is busy and happily engaged in thinking about something else.

vti2007
07-10-08, 20:21
Elsie,

I always find I feel better after a trip to the doctors as well. Strange eh? Must be a reassurance thing I think.

The other thing that works really well and I only found it tonight is a HUGE bowl of butterscotch instant whip - made me feel better anyway :D :D

Lissy43
07-10-08, 20:23
If the dr convinces me its nothing then I feel fine, aswell as company from other adults (my 3 kids make my symptoms worse at times, lol)

RosieXXX
07-10-08, 21:40
I find a new symptom will make the 'present' one disappear. I am always concerned about cancer, and my worst fear is breast cancer which tends to dominate, but I have had all sorts of cancer fears. It is really difficult to break the cycle - sometimes I think I am doing really well and then I get another twinge - usually breast - and it all starts again.:weep:

dee211
07-10-08, 21:45
i wasathospital y day visiting my nephew and felt the panic starting so askedthe nurse for a pencil sharpner ,n sharpened the whole wards pencils ,( she thought i was bored )but it worked and took my mind off it : )
at home i do a word search,or if out count things or discribe things around me in my head, doesnt always work ,but anythings worth a try.

CONS
08-10-08, 09:57
Without sounding rude or an idiot,

Sleep.

CONS

reddevil
08-10-08, 12:25
I find a new symptom will make the 'present' one disappear. I am always concerned about cancer, and my worst fear is breast cancer which tends to dominate, but I have had all sorts of cancer fears. It is really difficult to break the cycle - sometimes I think I am doing really well and then I get another twinge - usually breast - and it all starts again.:weep:

I'm the same, a new symtom will appear, which will then make the previous symtom vanish, until next time.

Red

Helen1973
08-10-08, 15:51
I'm the same, a new symtom will appear, which will then make the previous symtom vanish, until next time.

Red

Me too (or three as it may be). I tend to bunnyhop from one set to another depending on which is currently the most dominant. Certain doctors can also make a huge difference--I don't know about anyone else but there is perhaps two in my GP's surgery that I KNOW will reassure me, the rest are only so-so.

worriedGrace
08-10-08, 16:04
I have noticed a strange thing about my health anxiety, it goes away if I am really ill. Some of the most peacefull times I have had were when I was in hospital with gall stones, after falling off my bike and fracturing my skull, and various gynae operations. I never worry that the thing that has put me in hospital will get worse unlike my other symptoms. People have told me that I am happy in hospital because I am 'getting my reward'. They could be right. I know that the incredible high I get when the latest test reveals nothing wrong and even though it is short lived is almost worth the worry I suffer.

RosieXXX
08-10-08, 16:43
Hi worriedGrace,

I have often wondered if i am addicted to that wonderful 'high', which fuels the anxiety - or the other way around - it seems to be a vicious cycle. There is overwhelming peace when we know everything is ok, and then it all starts up again.