PDA

View Full Version : I'm new!

Miss_L
08-10-08, 09:28
Hello!
I'm new and have suffered with palps/ectopic beats since I was 16 (I'm almost 26 now). Recently I have had them everyday (5-30 times I would say) for past few months and it's really getting me down - they pinch and feel uncomfortable and scare me - I had been to Dr's and had ECG and bllod and all fine (they said to "hold fire" on a 24 hr monitor, sigh) but it is so hard to believe anxiety causes them as I get them even when I think I am relaxed.

I am a highly strung person though, I get stressed very easily - but does anyone feel like their palps make them worse? I feel ok, then I get one, then I get all scared and stressed and more come!

I hate them, I'm sick of them and would love to hear from people with similar experiences! I am so scared something is wrong with me heart - I mean to have them everyday?! I just want to hear I can do something to lessen them :(

Thanks for reading.

Miss L

LeeBee
08-10-08, 09:39
Hi Miss L, welcome to NMP :)

I get a few ectopics pretty much every day. They usually happen when I'm at my most relaxed - lying in bed, or sitting quietly reading (although this might partly just that I notice them more when I'm doing those things).

I read another post that said that ectopics often happen when your heart rate is slow (when you're relaxed and quiet) rather than when your heart is beating fast because the heart has more time to throw an extra beat in.

I find that getting plenty of potassium (bananas, avacados, tomatoes etc) in my diet means I don't get so many of them. I think magnesium has the same effect.

It sounds like your heart has been fairly thoroughly checked over with no problems found. From what I've read, palps and ectopics in a healthy heart are nothing to worry about and are quite common - many people get them but just don't notice. We're the lucky anxious ones who do. :)

Miss_L
08-10-08, 09:48
Hello! Thanks for replying. Yes I seem to get them when I am sitting down, relaxing etc or lying in bed. I also get stress-induced ones sometimes, like when I am having a stressful conversation etc, these tend to be more in runs. Although they pinch a little, I don't get general chest pain or breathlessness, nor do I get them on exercise - so that's a good sign right?

I don't know whether to press for a 24 hr monitor or whether that would be futile... I have just started a new job and am loathe to take more time out at docs, I have seen 3 GP's already! Trouble is I didn't get any palps when I had by ECG, doesn't that mean it was useless?

LeeBee
08-10-08, 10:06
It is more usual, I believe, to get ectopics and palps when you are resting rather than exercising, although I know some people do get them during or after exercise. So that is good. :)

Have you asked your doctor about whether the ECG was not useful as you had no palps at the time?

CONS
08-10-08, 10:10
Hi miss L,

Yes the majority of the board have palps/ectopics from what i can see. My anx is really high in general right now so yes everyday for me too.

3 panic attacks yesterday and 0 as yet, but hey the day is young.

CONS

Miss_L
08-10-08, 10:41
Ha Cons - know what you mean!

Haven't had any palps yet today (I don't think - sometimes I can't tell!) but as you said, there is plenty of time! No haven't asked doc, but he did say it would have picked up any other abnormalities and didn't seem to think 24hr one necessary yet - said it would probs only pick up a few ectopic beats and they would be consiered "normal"... it doesn't feel ruddy normal!!!

I am SO glad I have found this forum - thanks guys. It has really been getting me down lately :(

Miss L

yanksforever
08-10-08, 16:12
Miss L,

I have these darned things too and I actually haven't had a single test on my heart. I know Im healthy because I've only begin to get these since my HA began. I get these 95% of the time when Im relaxing or laying down. Also PLEASE BE INFORMED that an ECG is NOT USELESS even though you didn't have any palps at the time it was done. The technology nowadays is so very very precise. If it didn't show any abnormality with your heart than you have nothing to worrry about...which means that you shoudl ignore the palps too.

Stress gives your heart no choice but to have to generate an extra beat whenever your body tells it that is necessary. These palps will calm down when you do.

Peace and love deary. <3

Miss_L
08-10-08, 16:22
Ahh thanks yanks :)

My HA flares up and then goes down - last year I was much better with it. This year... not so good! :lac: At the moment my focus is my palps, although I seem to focus on various things at diff times - although the palps are always there, got to love 'em!

I have felt my anxiety is controlling me a bit recently - hence the search for a forum! I've got myself into a vicious circle with it...

Miss L

Miss_L
09-10-08, 12:24
I barely noticed palps yesterday :yesyes: - I had a few but only little and not pinching - not sure why I deserved such a good day?! Here is to another! Hope you fellow palp sufferers are having good days.

Miss L

Miss_L
09-10-08, 13:49
EDIT!

Spoke too soon, just got 2 big ones walking back from lunch :weep:

Does anyone get them where they seem to move down your body? I can't understand how some people can't feel them, they are such a thud to me they can almost make me stop in my tracks :( - plus do ppl get them walking around? I usually do when resting, so is this a bad sign?

xxx

Mikke
10-10-08, 03:03
How powerfull they are depends on your bloodpressure at the moment :) Nothing dangerous, just natural. When your bloodpressure are higher, you feel them more distinct.
If I have them when i exercise, stress with work or have sex, they can be so strong that I litterarily jump in my seat (or bed) :)

Miss_L
20-10-08, 11:07
Hi guys - still getting these every day, some better than others - the notieceable ones probably about 5-10 a day - is that ok or a bad amount? Also have any of you had it where you can't feel them, but you feel your pulse and there are some ectopics? I seem to get a mix of ones I can feel ( thump, flutter etc) and ones that are "silent" - is that also bad?

Lastly (haha) I seem to get them when I *think* I am relaxed - out of nowhere! Not when exercise, or even when I am stressed/upset over something (altho went to a social event last Thurs and was nervous as on my own -it was for work- and got a whole run of them whilst talking to someone!! Not painful, but it wasa then I knew it was anxiety) - but I get them when sitting on sofa, watching tv!! I thought it was caused my anxiety, but when I get them like that I get scared it is something worse...

Miss L

LeeBee
20-10-08, 11:58
Hi Miss L, I get most of mine when I'm just sitting around quietly or lying in bed feeling relaxed. This is quite common, I think. And yes, sometimes I can't feel the ectopic in my chest but can feel it in my pulse. I've read other posters say similar things too, or that they've had ectopics show up in ECGs but not felt them. That's not bad :). Sometimes I get more than a dozen in a day, other days I only notice one or two.

They are freaky, but rest assured that loads of people on here get them. In fact I have read that pretty much everyone gets them sometimes, but not everyone notices.

Miss_L
20-10-08, 12:21
Thanks LeeBee, thats reassuring.

As I think I said before, I have had a resting ECG and bloods and fine - have been thinking recently whether I should press for a 24hr one (my doc said not needed at the moment) or whether I should feel safe it is my anxiety? It is just that fear than something serious wasn't picked up, that's all - but I don't really have time to go to docs and the moment and tbh I don't really want to have to ! :blush:

Tracy68
20-10-08, 23:16
Miss L
You said you had about 5 - 10 a day and was that a bad amount, well from what i was told about a week ago no thats not bad at all. I had a panic attack and i had to ring doctor and he was brilliant just chatted to me etc and i said about my ectopics that day and that i was getting them every minute. He then asked how many and it was like about 5 -8 and he said that was fine, he said anymore than 20 a minute then it would need looking into. So as long as he was right then 5 - 10 a day is nothing to worry about :D. But saying that even getting one can be scarey.
You're not alone hun.
Take care
Tracy
xxx

LeeBee
21-10-08, 00:46
Thanks for that post Tracy - you've made me feel better too! More than 20 a minute, wow. I thought my occasional little clusters of them (4-5 in a minute) were bad!

kimmiepie
21-10-08, 01:11
10 a day is fine! I had over 2,000 in one day on my holter monitor...and have had all other tests...

You'll be fine. :)

Miss_L
21-10-08, 07:58
Thanks guys! When I say 5-10 tho, they are the ones I can feel, I might have 1000's that I don't feel! :weep:

Miss_L
22-10-08, 09:07
Oooh just had some more this morning - hardly ever get them in the mornings, I spose I was rushing. Anyone else feel like they can get stressed and not get them and then when they think they are fairly relaxed - bam, there they are!! I jusy worry that means they are something more sinister???

They just ruin my day when I get them - I think I am fine and they come and make me a mess again :weep:

LeeBee
22-10-08, 10:22
If it's any comfort Miss L, I'm also having a terrible run of ectopics right now. I wonder if it's because I've been eating so irregularly the last couple of days (too early, too late, the wrong stuff). My heart's been fluttering and thumping and jumping and palpitating away in my chest since I finished my dance class a couple of hours ago. It's driving me CRAZY. I know I shouldn't think about it, if I just ignore it eventually it will stop. So easy to say, so hard to do! You have my sympathy Miss L. I'm right there with you :hugs:.

Miss_L
22-10-08, 11:32
Thanks LeeBee :hugs: - that makes me feel a lot better, not that I want others to go through the same of course, but that people understand :)

Haven't had any since this morning - touch wood! Going out for a nice meal with my boyfriend tonight and I don't want it to ruin my evening - begone anxiety and ectopics! Such a vicious circle tho :(

Miss_L
23-10-08, 21:17
Having a bad evening guys - had huge run of ectopics and lying on bed terrified am going to die :(

Cathy V
23-10-08, 21:33
Sorry your feeling so bad with these, and not sure if my experience of them will make you feel better...im always a bit wary of telling people ive been getting these missed beats and flutters since i was 22, and im now 55. Ive had all of the tests over the years and the latest one was in the summer (only coz my german doc wanted to just check things out for himself. My uk docs already know im ok!)

Sometimes we have to accept that this is our anxiety weakness, our adrenaline 'thing' like some people get migraines, or stomach problems when they are stressed, we get the missed beats. Because its our hearts it can make us really panic about it, but then of course our fear of these beats just makes them worse. When we produce more adrenaline than we need, exercise uses some of it, but then theres still a surplus, so we feel the effects when we are relaxing as its not being used up so quickly.

I think that whatever symptom we are prone to in anxiety, we might carry with us all our lives. The answer is to learn to live with it. Dr. Claire Weekes was a firm believer in accepting rather than trying to get rid of. And in all her books she talks about these ectopics, and says exercise reduces them.

Ive learned to live with mine and i get them every day. Yes they are uncomfortable because we never want to feel our hearts misbehaving, but after 33 years, i think i can safely say that they havent, and will not harm me.

My cardiologist also said that we should never make the mistake of thinking they will lead to heart disease, or damage or weaken our hearts in any way. True heart disease is normally different from what we go through with these ectopics.

Hope this helps in some way.
Cathy xxx :flowers:

Miss_L
23-10-08, 21:51
Thankyou so much for replying Cathy - I needed that! :hugs:

I told my mum I was getting them everyday for the past few months today and she seemed worried, which in turn worried me! But I guess I just have to learn to live with them! :( - they scare me so much though, I feel I get them when I least expect it - i.e. I often don't feel stressed. I am now though!

Tracy68
23-10-08, 21:59
Another way someone said on here once was to drink plenty of water, I tried that and it does help. I've not been too bad on the ectopic front...ok still have them but not as much.
Hope you're feeling bit better

Tracy
xx

>>andy<<
25-10-08, 23:38
Thankyou so much for replying Cathy - I needed that! :hugs:

I told my mum I was getting them everyday for the past few months today and she seemed worried, which in turn worried me! But I guess I just have to learn to live with them! :( - they scare me so much though, I feel I get them when I least expect it - i.e. I often don't feel stressed. I am now though!

Hi Hun, Go to your Doctor and explain again what's happening.It'll be logged on ur medical records and help build up a picture of ur symptoms.
There are options open to you,medication etc.
Try not to worry,not easy though I know.
Andy.

Miss_L
30-10-08, 09:15
Hello! Well I didn't really think I needed to go to Dr again... I had a good few days with hardly any then yesterday they were back with a vengeance :( - well I had about 10 yesterday evening.

Does anyone have them where it is like a little pinch? Not painful as such but a definite little nip when they get them? I hate that - it really pulls me up short and makes me panic :lac: - I thought they were getting better :weep:

LeeBee
30-10-08, 09:41
Yes! Like little bites, right? How weird, I was just thinking that this afternoon. I got a few after lunch and they felt just like my heart was nipping at the inside of my chest (oh dear what a disturbing image, sorry!). Mine don't always feel like that, sometimes they're more like flutters, other times thumps, but, yes, sometimes they feel like nipping or biting, like this afternoon. When they do that it takes my breath for a second. Sometimes I cough a bit to "shake" it. Weird :hugs:.

Miss_L
30-10-08, 09:47
Yup - the same! I don't get it all the time either, just sometimes feel like that - apparently the vagus nerve plays a big role in this and its nerve related - i.e. that gets irritated by something and then fires signal to heart, so its kinda a non-cardiac origin, if you see what I mean? I get the cough thing too sometimes - apparently that is from this nerve being stimulated... interesting eh? I guess reassuring that these ectopics might originate in the nervous system rather than cardiac.. I hope so anyway!

I just hope I have a better day today - I think I got a few last night (started with a nip!) and then I worried about it and got upset that I was getting them after 2 "good" days, and then more came - it's such a vicious circle :weep: - also does it make you sit up and get panicy when you get one and weren't expecting it?

LeeBee
30-10-08, 09:55
Thanks, Miss L, I didn't know that :).

The first one in a run of ectopics always freaks me out, these days I can usually keep calm after that. The "nippy" ones this afternoon didn't bother me too much. Not sure why. I just coughed a bit and waited for them to go away.

The worst I've had recently came in the middle of my dance class last week. I think because my heart was beating quite fast anyway, the ectopics felt quite powerful. I think I just stood in the middle of the room with my eyes wide, must have looked very odd. Then I clutched my wrist, feeling for my pulse. I remember someone talking to me and not really listening to what they were saying because I was so wound up about the ectopics. I did manage to tell myself to ignore it and carry on eventually, and they did stop after a few minutes.

Good to know that it's not just me that gets these things (sorry you have them though).

Miss_L
30-10-08, 13:36
Hi LeeBee,

I get them at the moment when walking fast - usually I am trying to get somewhere/back to work after lunch -maybe that means I'm more anxious? Cos higher heart rate I reckon we feel them more, more uncomfortable and stronger aren't they?

I just can't stop that nagging worry each time I get them, even though fairly sure don't have a heart problem.. I hope - why is it so hard to reassure yourself? I could drag myself to docs everyday with worry...

Miss_L
03-11-08, 20:38
Another hideous day :weep: - my palps/ectopics actually hurt today, each one is a painful pinch - I am so scared, what is going on?! How can I be having a heart attack!?!?

LeeBee
05-11-08, 09:10
Hi Miss L, I don't think you are having a heart attack, but you might want to go back to the doctor to talk abou this again as it is upsetting you so much. I generally get one or two of the "pinch" ectopics per day, with a few flutters and simple missed beats in between. Sometimes I get more of one of the types than others - no idea why. I don't think that the pinch sensation is particularly unusual - I've seen other people say that they get this too. I wonder if the sensation could come from the vagus nerve which is often implicated in ectopic beats, or as a result of the extra hard beat that the heart makes after the ectopic.
I don't like the sensation of the ectopics and sometimes it worries me, but I've been having them for several years now and I haven't keeled over yet...