PDA

View Full Version : Work getting me down

phil06
08-10-08, 11:49
Work has been getting me down the last few weeks they are short staffed in my department and I am being left to do all the work and this is causing me anxiety and I felt that weak yesterday I was ready to call in sick.

I need to walk about alot in my work which has made me lose weight and that worries me as I am already slim. I know I don't help myself by not getting as much sleep as I could and sometimes I have three meals in a day in a short space of time like if i work a evening shift I have breakfast at 11.30 or something, lunch at 12.30 and dinner at 4pm so i am guessing this does not always help?

Plus I feel i never relax anymore I feel I need to spend less time online. I am thinking of getting a day job part time and just doing less hours in my work can anybody give me advice if i should go for this choice? or should I stick the job out and hope it gets better? I was told they can't afford new staff so I am thinking of getting another one but don't want to give it up completely.

It has been stressing me out alot and I can't make up my mind what to do. :blush: I feel anxious by it all. I have had panic attacks and chest pains with it all the last day or so can anybody reassure me? I just turned 20 the other day aswell and I feel too old its depressing me.

Mudskipper
08-10-08, 12:44
Hi there

My job gets me down too, having been stuck in the self-same position for the last 14 years. I'm actively looking for something else, but at 42 with a wife, 2 kids and a mortgage, and a recession looming, I guess this isn't the best time to be looking:blush: . I'm guessing you don't have quite the same committments at 20 which gives you a bit more flexibility. There's nothing to stop you from applying for other jobs and, if you get offered one, using that as leverage with your current firm if you really don't want to leave. It's amazing how quickly firms find some extra resources when faced with the prospect of no experienced staff at all:winks:
As for your PA's, I'd say stress at work etc can cause them at any age. I had similar earlier this year when one of my colleagues had a heart attack, one had a prostate op and another ran off to Australia for a month, leaving yours truly on my own. I made no effort to cover for them though, just left it up to management to sort the problem, which they had to do. No way they could have coped if I'd gone sick as well through trying to cope with too much

Take care.

kazzie
08-10-08, 19:48
Hi There:D

Im 46 and have just taken a total career change

I get so stressed at times its untrue

I work a jobshare so you almost feel you are letting your oppo down if you dare book a day off:doh:

Just take a few deep breaths I guess and try not to worry

Kaz x x x:hugs:

curly63uk
08-10-08, 20:31
hi there
well i cant really give you much advice but i am in a simular position as you..but i will say i am going for a few interviews next week as im fed up with the stress of no staff and me doing all the work so i feel its time to move on i think my health is more inportant.as i am fed up of those chest pains. and palpatations...if you can move on and get another job i would do so.....as thats what i am goin to do....jilly:yesyes:

phil06
10-10-08, 22:52
I have decided it's best not to get another job as there are not many going.

I just feel so stressed with work and can't be bothered with it anymore. I'm not sure whats up but I feel sick of it as a few people have let me down over the last few weeks. Money is also getting me down.

Does anybody else feel this way? I've started to get really stressed and moody at work. I am hoping it will pass.

von
10-10-08, 23:26
Hi Phil,

Sorry you're so stressed, I went through this with my work, started about feb, was told I wld have to move branches, had disabled parents and young child to look after, I work part timeas have family etc, for 6 weeks they wldnt tell me where i wld be moving to, then told me day before move and wanted to move me 25 miles away!! worked myself up so much over the six weeks prior to move and wasnt sleeping, so went to doctors the day I found out, broke down completely infront of dr. frightened me totally, been off sick now for last 6 months. Be careful and take time for you! Even if its just a few minutes relaxing, I know you dont think you have time but work will still be there if your not! I threw alot into my work due to targets etc., I was under loads pressure to keep job if targets not hit even tho been there 20 years!
Worked many hours over and not paid (soft touch eh) thats what makes it worse, I can see now how they used me, watch you're not taken for granted
maybe try an assertive course(I have done 4 and they didnt work for me but you never know). I know jobs are hard to find at mo but keep your options open , set time aside for fav film or sport. Hope things get better soon.